• A Wetpaint Site
close
Welcome! Wikis are websites that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Discussion: Does "TomTom6" Navigator Work (or not) on your At&t Tilt?

Keyword tags: AT&T 8925 AT&T Tilt HTC TyTN II kaiser tilt tomtom tomtom6
Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

Scottyee

Scottyee
Does "TomTom6" Navigator Work (or not) on your At&t Tilt?
Nov 7 2007, 3:28 PM EST
I own an At&t Tilt, and recently ordered TomTom6 from online retailer (BuyGpsNow.com) after reading glowing recommendations about TomTom6 from people running it on their At&t Tilt. In the meantime, I've been reading the internet forums and found some people saying they are having problems running TomTom6 on their Tilt, so called TomTom (866-486-6866) about that, and the tech rep advised me that though TomTom6 is compatible with the HTC TyTynII (aka: Kaiser), it's NOT compatible with (or supported) on the At&t Tilt. They mentioned a couple of issues including: not compatible with micro SDHC memory cards greater than 2GB, and that the TomTom6 program will terminate if/when an incoming call is received while in use.

Ok, I'm really in a dilemma now. I still haven't received my TomTom6 package shipment in the mail yet and the online retailer I purchased it from (http://BuyGpsNow.com) doesn't accept returns. Considering the fact that some people are able to get TomTom6 to work on their Tilt, and because I'm unable to return (for refund) my unopened TomTom6 product, hoping that there is something I can do (via At&t Tilt settings and/or tweak) to ensure TomTom6 will work on my At&t Tilt.

I would very much like to hear from At&t Tilt owners able to get TomTom Navigator6 (including US/Canada maps) to work on their Tilt. What phone configuration setting(s) are recommended or required to get TomTom6 to work on the At&t Tilt? Are you able to store maps on a 6GB micro SDHC card? Any problems when incoming calls are received while TomTom6 is running?

Thanks for all feedback and assistance,

Scotty
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
Visorblue
Visorblue
RE: Does "TomTom6" Navigator Work (or not) on your At&t Tilt?
Nov 7 2007, 6:56 PM EST
I had absolutely no problems running TomTom Nav 6 on my Tilt. It wasn't for me but ran just fine: COMM 4, 4800 or 9600 (mine was set to 9600). Played with adding voices, installed it on a 4GB microSD card along with a bunch of other apps., etc. Zero problems. 4  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
Visorblue
Visorblue
Nov 7 2007, 6:59 PM EST
Ah. Just noticed that you asked on the AT&T forum, too, and they have you covered. Enjoy! 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Scottyee

Scottyee
Nov 7 2007, 7:13 PM EST
Visorblue,

Can I assume you installed the TomTom6 app included on the TT6 DVD itself and not one of the following (ammended for Tilt compatibility) cabs available for download:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=338469

and

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=336935

Considering the fact that TomTom is working fine on your Tilt, it's really bizarre why TomTom(the company) insists that TT6 is NOT compatible with the Tilt and that they won't offer TomTom tech support to Tilt owners either. That said, FedEx just delivered my TomTom6 Navigator package so really anxious to install it as soon as my 6GB Sandisk micro SDHC arrives (tomorrow).

In the meantime, I'll report back my own At&t Tilt TT6 installation findings. Wish me luck.

Scotty
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
Visorblue
Visorblue
Nov 8 2007, 9:36 AM EST
Yep. Standard TomTom from the DVD. TomTom has some special arrangement with HTC and doesn't seem to know (or want to know) that the Tilt, Kaiser and TYTNII are pretty much the same machine (for GPS purposes at least).

By now your's should be up and running (try it outside and not inside first like some people). Search the AT&T forum as there's a lot of people using it without problem.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Nov 9 2007, 12:25 AM EST
Visorblue & all,

Good news. Was able to easily install & run TomTom6 on my Tilt without a single problem. No GPS setting adjustments were needed made on my Tilt either. I simply launched TomTom and within 15 seconds, it located 7 sattelites and tracked my exact location. I entered a friend's address (who lives about 10 miles away) and the interactive map with voice activated turn by turn directions got me there smoothly and quickly, providing the quickest route. I honestly can't figure out why TomTom continues to claim that their software does not support the Att Tilt, yet supports compatibility with the HTC Kaiser (TyTynII), especially considering the fact that TomTom6 was able to automatically identify and pair with my Tilt, recognizing it as an HTC Kaiser.

Thanks again Visorblue for your reassurrance that TomTom6 would work on the At&t Tilt. W/o your assurances, I may not have purchased it.

Scotty
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
Visorblue
Visorblue
Nov 9 2007, 11:37 AM EST
Congrats! Now you have no excuses for being lost or late anymore. :-)

Search YouTube for some voice demos. Some are pretty funny. Enjoy!
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
patlam

patlam
Nov 14 2007, 1:30 AM EST
Any idea what is the minimum memorey needed to install the software and maps? Is a 1GB microSD card adequate? 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Visorblue
Visorblue
Nov 14 2007, 8:48 AM EST
"Any idea what is the minimum memorey needed to install the software and maps? Is a 1GB microSD card adequate?"
Wild guess is 1.3GB. Software on the Tilt and maps on the microSD card. You'll need a 2GB card or better. 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Dec 12 2007, 10:10 PM EST
I installed TT 6 on my at&t tilt with no problems. Now for some reason when I look at the com port settings I have no com ports displayed or any device ie: at&t tilt yet TT 6 works great. Finds the sata in under 10 seconds. Anyone have an idea as to why tt 6 just runs with no paring or BT device settings. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jan 18 2008, 12:02 AM EST
so i assume tt6 works fine with the built-in gps receiver in att tilt? 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Visorblue
Visorblue
Jan 18 2008, 11:31 AM EST
"so i assume tt6 works fine with the built-in gps receiver in att tilt?"
Yep. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Mar 9 2008, 10:48 AM EDT
If you run TomTom6 Navigator do you need to pay any extra charges monthly or anything like that? Does it require any data usage? Or since you purchased the software and everything is installed directly on the memory card is it free to use as much as you would like? I don't really want to spend the $10 a month for telnav since I've been very happy with TomTom products in the past and given that the $10 a month over two years (contract) time would cost way more than a decent stand alone GPS I'd rather just buy some good software like TT6 and be done with it. Thank you for your help. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Apr 3 2008, 7:54 PM EDT
Did you ever get an answer for this? I just got the tilt and so far love it. I was told by another user that they only paid $15 a month for internet but when I tried to get that I was told I could only get the $30 a month internet for the tilt. I am not sure I want to pay more for internet for my phone than I pay for internet on my home computer!! I have tried the TomTom6 and love it but don't know if I have to have the interenet connection to use it. Do you find this valuable?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
Apr 3 2008, 9:19 PM EDT
"Did you ever get an answer for this? I just got the tilt and so far love it. I was told by another user that they only paid $15 a month for internet but when I tried to get that I was told I could only get the $30 a month internet for the tilt. I am not sure I want to pay more for internet for my phone than I pay for internet on my home computer!! I have tried the TomTom6 and love it but don't know if I have to have the interenet connection to use it."
You don't need a data connection to use the mapping functions of TomTom 6. You do need a data connection if you want the TomTom Plus services, like traffic updates. Do you find this valuable?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)
Wiki pages
Top Contributors