• A Wetpaint Site
Already a member?
Sign in
close
Welcome! Wikis are websites that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Discussion: Updating to WM6 from Windows Vista with Windows Mobile Device Center

Keyword tags: AT&T 8525 Cingular 8525 Dopod 838 Pro Dopod CHT 9000 HTC Hermes HTC TyTN O2 XDA trion Orange SPV M3100 T-Mobile MDA Vario II VPA Compact III
Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

warp9pnt9

warp9pnt9
Updating to WM6 from Windows Vista with Windows Mobile Device Center
Nov 15 2007, 5:40 AM EST
Using Windows Vista here. Microsoft Windows Mobile ActiveSync page says ActiveSync 4.5 will not run on Windows Vista, but to instead use Windows Mobile Device Center. WMDC does not connect to my phone. Windows, after about 3-5 minutes of trying to figure out what the device is, gives up and says something about an unrecognized USB device. My phone beeps with an error saying it could not get an IP address from the server. The RUU update for WM6 says something about ERROR 260 CONNECTION, explaining it could not establish an ActiveSync connection. I've tried installing the WMDC Driver Update v6.1.6965 for AMD64. I may have connected the phone before installing WMDC, so now I'm uninstalling and reinstalling the WMDCDU and WMDC. And voila, same differrence, USB device not recognized. 3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
browntannis
browntannis
RE: Updating to WM6 from Windows Vista with Windows Mobile Device Center
Nov 15 2007, 11:15 AM EST
"Using Windows Vista here. Microsoft Windows Mobile ActiveSync page says ActiveSync 4.5 will not run on Windows Vista, but to instead use Windows Mobile Device Center. WMDC does not connect to my phone. Windows, after about 3-5 minutes of trying to figure out what the device is, gives up and says something about an unrecognized USB device. My phone beeps with an error saying it could not get an IP address from the server. The RUU update for WM6 says something about ERROR 260 CONNECTION, explaining it could not establish an ActiveSync connection. I've tried installing the WMDC Driver Update v6.1.6965 for AMD64. I may have connected the phone before installing WMDC, so now I'm uninstalling and reinstalling the WMDCDU and WMDC. And voila, same differrence, USB device not recognized."
Before you can sucessfully run the RUU on your device, it has to be recognized by your PC.
After your PC finishes trying to identify the device, does it connect to it with Windows Mobile Device Center? If ti does not, try changing the USB to PC settings on your device (Start>Settings>Connections Tab>USB to PC) and check your connection settings in WMDC.

If WMDC does see your device and show connected then there shouldnt be an issue.
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
warp9pnt9

warp9pnt9
RE: Updating to WM6 from Windows Vista with Windows Mobile Device Cen
Nov 15 2007, 6:32 PM EST
"Before you can sucessfully run the RUU on your device, it has to be recognized by your PC.
After your PC finishes trying to identify the device, does it connect to it with Windows Mobile Device Center? If ti does not, try changing the USB to PC settings on your device (Start>Settings>Connections Tab>USB to PC) and check your connection settings in WMDC.

If WMDC does see your device and show connected then there shouldnt be an issue."
As I've already stated, the PC fails to recognize the device. All Windows Vista does is say that it is an unrecognized USB device. I've tried toggling the USB setting on the device. It was initially checked. It did not work. I unchecked it, and did not work. WMDC does not ever say anything about a device. It only says "waiting for a device to connect".

Are there any other sources of interference? Windows Vista Firewall is running, but the "windows mobile-based device connectivity" and "Windows Mobile-based Device Connectivity" (both upper and lower case) rules were already in the Firewall Exceptions. The lower cased one has no configurable Properties (button greyed out), while the upper cased one has a clickable Properties button, but nothing is configurable. There's a blue help link "How do I view and edit all properties?" However, I am logged in as a custom administrative user (Vista doesn't let you log on as Administrator) in the Administrators group, and I've successfully been installing other programs with administrative privileges for months by clicking "Allow" to run programs with elevated user privileges. I have Avira's AntiVir running and Spybot Search & Destroy with TeaTimer. No detections. No other software should be blocking or interfering.

Really not sure what else to do but try and borrow an XP SP2 machine for the upgrade.
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
warp9pnt9

warp9pnt9
RE: Update to WM6 from Windows Vista with Windows Mobile Device Center
Nov 16 2007, 7:08 AM EST
Well now, after much trial and error (and rebooting), Vista finally decided to recognize the HTC USB device and correctly installed a driver. The rest went as smoothly as could be expected. It just finished the ROM update! Now, the first booting. Hmm, seems to take a loooooong time, another fine Microsoft Bloatware. :@ Ahh well, it's configuring, so I'm good to go! For anyone else who has any Vista 64 problems, just keep rebooting and reinstalling WMDC and trying to connect and running Windows Update. 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Nov 17 2007, 1:29 PM EST
Same problem here. So far, no reboots/updates/reinstalls helped.

Windows Vista 64-bit, quad-core, 4GB, SLI computer.
warp9pnt9

warp9pnt9
Nov 17 2007, 3:42 PM EST
Same problems appeared for me immediately after successful WM6 update too. Dual-core AMD 64 bit cpu, 8GB, SLI-capable but only 1 card. ;) Trying to update drivers, or stop the WMDC in USB items, or trying to uninstall drivers, these often cause the respective programs to hang, and then the system seems to get somewhat unstable, and eventually explorer.exe will hang or crash.

Beautiful, lovely job they've done with Vista 64. :D

Anonymous
RE: Update to WM6 from Windows Vista with Windows Mobile Device Cente
Nov 26 2007, 9:23 AM EST
Add me to the list!! ATT 8525, after upgrade to WM6 it wasn't a reconized device any longer. Rebooted twice now. Also note that i have NOT allowed auto updates from windows Vista (might be the problem?!?)

PC: Duo-Core 1.8mhz, 1gig ram, windows vista

Anonymous
Dec 16 2007, 5:28 PM EST
Add me to the list. It appears the device driver they are using is not very stable (perhaps not even a 64 bit driver). It actually caused my Vista 64 to hang on shutdown. I uninstalled WMDC and walla no more hangs on shut down. Reinstalled latest 6.1 version of Windows Mobile device center and it installed OK. Even looked like the new driver was being loaded and then got a failed message on the driver. Back to square one. Now when plug in the 8525 all I get is the USB device not recognized. Luckily I have a dual boot XP /Vista 64 machine - I had the forthought to sync in XP prior to upgrade ..so I was able to recover via XP. This shows a total lack of quality control at Microsoft. What a stupid thing to do to your users. At least put a disclaimer - THIS WILL NOT WORK WITH VISTA ANY LONGER IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR 8525 with WM6. 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
crazy_like_a_witch
crazy_like_a_witch
Dec 19 2007, 9:07 AM EST
me 3, vista 32bit, toshiba laptop with t5500mhz processor an 2gb ram etc etc, tytn2 connects but WMDC says error altho i can actually browse phone contents using file explorer on pc, is this stopping the sync of WMDC or is it a simple re-installment of the program that i need to do?

Thanks in advance!!!
Do you find this valuable?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)
Wiki pages
Top Contributors