• A Wetpaint Site
close
Welcome! Wikis are websites that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Discussion: ATT 8525 trouble with miniSD card

Keyword tags: AT&T 8525 Dopod 838 Pro Dopod CHT 9000 HTC Hermes HTC TyTN O2 XDA trion Orange SPV M3100 T-Mobile MDA Vario II VPA Compact III
Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

2 | Next

Anonymous
ATT 8525 trouble with miniSD card
Nov 4 2007, 3:37 PM EST
Has anyone had trouble with the ATT 8525 dumping the My Documents folder on the mini SD card? It has happened to me twice. The first time I thought it was a bad SD card and had it replaced. But it has happened again! The My Documents folder still appears, but appears to be empty. It appears empty when the card is in the device, alsoi through ActiveSync, and when using a card reader. When I reinstall the files to the My documents folder they show they are being copied. But upon finish the My Documents folder still appears empty. Any ideas? I am at a loss!!! 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
RE: ATT 8525 trouble with miniSD card
Nov 4 2007, 5:03 PM EST
Not to sound elementary, but are you looking at the my documents folder on the storage card or on your device when opening file explorer? Make sure you change to storage card in the upper left of file explorer. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Nov 4 2007, 8:25 PM EST
Yes, I'm definitely looking at the storage card My Documents folder. The My Documents folders on the device has all the Word files, etc. I sync through ActiveSnyc. I use the My Documents folder on the storage card to store picture files and music, so there is no way I would mistake the two folders. The contents are completely different. My music and pix are gone/invisible. I've had a pocket pc device for 5 years (3 iPaqs), and although I've only had the ATT 8525 since August, I am extremely familiar with the PPC/Windows Mobile operating system. I have never had a problem with a storage card doing something like this before. Do you find this valuable?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
Nov 4 2007, 9:10 PM EST
"Yes, I'm definitely looking at the storage card My Documents folder. The My Documents folders on the device has all the Word files, etc. I sync through ActiveSnyc. I use the My Documents folder on the storage card to store picture files and music, so there is no way I would mistake the two folders. The contents are completely different. My music and pix are gone/invisible. I've had a pocket pc device for 5 years (3 iPaqs), and although I've only had the ATT 8525 since August, I am extremely familiar with the PPC/Windows Mobile operating system. I have never had a problem with a storage card doing something like this before."
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. One can never tell kind of experience a person has had with WM devices on these forums. In any case, I once had a problem like this before. I reformatted the memory card and it seemed to clear out the problems. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Nov 4 2007, 10:28 PM EST
No problem. I'd pretty much decided I'd need to do that. But since this has happened twice with two different memory cards on this same phone, I'm worried that it will keep happening. Is it a known flaw/weakness with this model? Any idea what may have caused it? This time I noticed it first thing this morning, It was working fine the night before--all files in tact. The only thing that happened overnight was leaving it in a charger and it automatically reset the time for leaving DST. I can't remember what I was doing prior to noticing it the first time since it was over a month ago. I haven't upgraded to WM6, so that can't be the problem.

i
Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Nov 9 2007, 5:55 PM EST
I've had somethign similar where the camera was configured to save to the storage card, but they just vanished instead of being written. My only fix was to reboot and then NEVER remove and reinsert the storage card while the unit was turned on. It has worked fine since then. Do you find this valuable?    
kakolesha
kakolesha
Nov 10 2007, 12:52 AM EST
Does ATT 8525 use miniSD or microSD Do you find this valuable?    
kakolesha
kakolesha
MicroSD and MicroSDHC
Nov 10 2007, 12:59 AM EST
By the way, on the same topic, Is there any difference (physical fitting) between MicroSD card and MicroSDHC card? I would like to increase memory from 2GB to 4 or 8GBon the TyTN. 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
RE: MicroSD and MicroSDHC
Nov 10 2007, 5:50 AM EST
yes, i faced the exactly same issue... one fine day all the pictures in 'my pictures' folder were gone like they were never there. i discussed this issue with an HTC tech support guy for almost an hour! and he could conclude what the problem was, and he asked me to hard reset the phone, which means format and reinstall the OS! but i still kept trying to recover my 100+ pictures which i'd lost... i downloaded a recovery tool "photo recovery" and luckily recovered almost all of them as i'd stop writing on tht card as i dint want to overwrite this data. once i recovered them, i deleted the "my documents" folder from the card, and clicked a picture...voila...it started working again! but this is a software bug for sure... hope we have some place to report this? 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Nov 10 2007, 5:50 AM EST
yes, i faced the exactly same issue... one fine day all the pictures in 'my pictures' folder were gone like they were never there. i discussed this issue with an HTC tech support guy for almost an hour! and he could conclude what the problem was, and he asked me to hard reset the phone, which means format and reinstall the OS! but i still kept trying to recover my 100+ pictures which i'd lost... i downloaded a recovery tool "photo recovery" and luckily recovered almost all of them as i'd stop writing on tht card as i dint want to overwrite this data. once i recovered them, i deleted the "my documents" folder from the card, and clicked a picture...voila...it started working again! but this is a software bug for sure... hope we have some place to report this? 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
Nov 10 2007, 8:25 AM EST
"By the way, on the same topic, Is there any difference (physical fitting) between MicroSD card and MicroSDHC card? I would like to increase memory from 2GB to 4 or 8GBon the TyTN."
To answer your two questions, the 8525 uses MicroSD cards. There is no physical difference between MicroSD and MicroSDHC, but the TyTN/AT&T 8525 will not support the MicroSDHC, even with the Windows Mobile 6 upgrade. The only thing you can do is just buy multiple 2 GB cards (not something I would want to do) or get the TyTN II, which can support up to 32GB MicroSD cards when they become available. 6  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    
kakolesha
kakolesha
Nov 10 2007, 9:08 AM EST
Rainman76,

I do appreciate your explaination and response. Thank you very much. Those are the things that the developpers (companies that are making these devices) should tell the consummers, before they find themselves in a situation where they spend money to buy a hardware (or a software) and it does not work on the device. Again, thank you...Nik
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Nov 24 2007, 10:23 PM EST
I am experiencing the same trouble; I have ~100 pictures that I KNOW must be on the storage card, but I cannot seem to find them. Does anyone know which "photo recovery" tools might be useful? Do you find this valuable?    
MetalRush
MetalRush
Nov 27 2007, 7:08 AM EST
I found, with our camera, that formatting on the device itself (being the phone in this case) can help.
Problem is that your pictures/data/etc will be lost. So that is no option to those, already fighting this problem.
@ Anonymous: Google is your friend ;)
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Nov 29 2007, 12:32 PM EST
I think the manufacturer limit for the 8525 is 2GB. Is that correct?
Any tips on formatting the microsd card? I see others calling this a minisd card, that is actually a different size.
MetalRush
MetalRush
Nov 29 2007, 3:22 PM EST
I found, after a brief search on the net, that the 8525 is supporting microSD UP TO 2 Gb.... sorry folks...
Formatting can be done in several ways;
- put it in a SD converter and format it via your computer
- format it via your PDA/phone/other device
Formatting via the device itself will be the safest... I know... messed up a 4Gb card, in the past, by formatting it on my Windows box...
Rainman76
Rainman76
Nov 29 2007, 3:38 PM EST
"I found, after a brief search on the net, that the 8525 is supporting microSD UP TO 2 Gb.... sorry folks...
Formatting can be done in several ways;
- put it in a SD converter and format it via your computer
- format it via your PDA/phone/other device
Formatting via the device itself will be the safest... I know... messed up a 4Gb card, in the past, by formatting it on my Windows box..."
I have formatted memory cards on my laptop with no problems. I have been formatting use FAT32, which has been fine. There have been instances where higher capacity cards work on 8525's with the Windows Mobile 6 upgrade, but I have not seen any official statement that this is true. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Apr 1 2008, 10:04 PM EDT
using an 8 gig microsdhc on my phone. I am running the att wm6 upgrade. My wifes phone has not been upgraded and hers will not see the microSDHC Do you find this valuable?    
elvisfan1

elvisfan1
Apr 4 2008, 11:55 AM EDT
I have found that occasionally my 8525 can't read the card. I turn off the phone and turn it back on and everything is fine. I guess I just accept this behaviour. My Palm used to do the same thing with its SD card. Do you find this valuable?    
Edumza8

Edumza8
Apr 6 2008, 11:02 PM EDT
Have you an AT&T 8525 with WM6 that works fine with an 8 GB micro SDHC? Can you tell me how did you do the upgrade from WM5? I would like to do if it can extend the capacity of the external storage card used by the phone. Do you find this valuable?    
2 | Next

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)
Top Contributors