• A Wetpaint Site
close
Welcome! Wikis are websites that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Discussion: How to fix you 6800, rather then throw it in the toilet

Keyword tags: 6800 bell ppc6800 utstarcom
Watch
This thread was saved to a page named Hacking HTC Mogul May 2 2008, 10:19 PM EDT. what's this?Thread Saved to a PageThe full contents of individual threads can be easily exported to create an editable wiki content page. Converting threads into pages is a great means to create a more readable summary of information for all users.

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

toonces
toonces
How to fix you 6800, rather then throw it in the toilet
May 2 2008, 9:13 PM EDT
Here we go, in a repeat of all the great work from xda-developers and ppcgeeks, (if you don't already have accounts in those forums and have read the titan upgrade sticky section back to front, go do it. Now.) and in a format for the poor ignored Bell users, this is how I 'fixed' my 6800 that Bell assured me had no problems. (google lies, and I should just, "turn off my bluetooth when not using it" so my phone stops locking up).
Check out this thread for all the steps I took, and the tools/ROM's I used.
Do you find this valuable?    
toonces
toonces
RE: How to fix you 6800, rather then throw it in the toilet
First off, do at your own risk, if something breaks I would bet its something you did, so take responsibility for your actions. Don't whine to me if it doesn't work. Ive done this to my phone many times, no problem. I've done it to other peoples 6800, again, no problem. If it breaks everything and generally ruins your life, well that's what you get for taking advice from strangers on the Internet. Go buy a razr and stop whining. Do you find this valuable?    
toonces
toonces
Before we get going, you need your MSL code. Don't know what that is? Then you really did not read the last post where I told you to go read the upgrade section at forum.ppcgeeks.com under the Titan-> Upgrades section. But of course, if you had read that you probably wouldn't be using this as a guide, so I'll stop pretending you will, but you will at least need an account at ppcgeeks (its free) to download some tools, and an important one is here:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.php?p=175538&postcount=4
unzip it, and put a copy on your SD card, or the main file system on your 6800. Run the program and put in your ESN. Don't know what that is? (what, I should hold your hand while you do this?) Its the funny hex looking code on the back of your battery, but an easier way is to go to your phone dialer, and type ##778# and choose view. A whole list of stuff will come up, find the ESN(Hex) field and write that down. Put that number in the GetSPC.exe program that you put on your 6800, and voila, it will spit back a 6 digit number that is your unlock code. Now dial ##778#, choose edit, put in that code, and what do you know? You can program your phone now. BUT DON'T ACTUALLY CHANGE ANYTHING. This step is just a precaution. What I recommend is getting a piece of paper or excel sheet if you like to get fancy, and copy down all your settings when you are viewing your ##778# programming. In reality you don't need it all, but the big ones are ESN and MSID, but if you want to be safe, copy it all down, don't forget to check the view info menu, there is more then just the first page. Keep that information safe, if there are problems, this will let your put your settings back easily. This is only a precaution.
toonces
toonces
May 2 2008, 9:14 PM EDT
Now lets get to the cool actually hacking part. We have to replace your bootloader for the phone, to unlock it for other ROM's to be loaded. This process sounds scary, but once you have this new bootloader in you can always forcefeed you phone a new ROM, if you ever flash it with a bad one. Try this now, press your camera and power button at the same time, while hitting the reset buttton with your stylus. (if you don't know what that means, don't bother to hack your phone. Sell it on ebay and go buy a razr. And stop whining.) See the pretty rainbow screen? That is your phone ready to take a ROM, trouble is, this bootloader will only take certain ROM's Bell has blessed as worthy. Lets get rid of this one and put in a much more relaxed version. You should read this post (I know you won't, but you should) http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=9093
and download this program: ftp://up.ppcgeeks.com/Titan/Users/ImCoKeMaN/roms/Hard-SPL-MFG.exe
and run it. It will unzip a bunch of files to a temp directory, make sure you can locate it. If your phone is still at the rainbow screen, reset it with the stylus, let it boot as normal and sync it. Once connected via activesync, go to the directory that was made from the exe and locate the Titanunlocker.bat file. Run it and follow the steps EXACTLY as it says. It will ask you to unplug and plug in your usb, stuff like that, just do what it says. When its done you will have a rainbow screen that says its version 2.40 now, and it will ask you about loading a ROM. Cancel that for now, we still have more work to do. By the way, now your 6800 can't do a thing but show you the rainbow screen :) Congratulations, you have officially trashed your phone. Have a cigarette, drink, whatever your poison is and celebrate your new found freedom.
toonces
toonces
May 2 2008, 9:14 PM EDT
As nice as the rainbow screen is, I'm sure you would like your phone to actually make phone calls, so lets continue. The next part is to get the latest radio onto your phone, and the easiest way to do that is to load the sprint ROM, and here is how. Download this file:
http://download.america.htc.com/RUU_TITAN_SPRINT_WWE_3.35.651.2_RS_TITAN_3.35.04_4350H_SPCS_AM_Ship.exe
DOn't actually run it though, we just want the image file for it. It's actually a zip file so use winzip or rar to unzip it to a temp folder and look for a file with the .nbh extension. That's the rom. You may see a couple in there, the one you want is called RUU_signed.nbh and its about 90 Meg in size. Take that file out and you can trash the rest of whats in there. Now we forcefeed the ROM to your phone. How you may ask? Of course your asking, you never bothered to read the ppcgeeks forums, so I'll tell you. You need a Rom Update Utility or RUU. Might as well get used the funny program names and acrynoms, your a phone hacker now.
ftp://ppcgeeks:[email protected]/Titan/Users/ImCoKeMaN/roms/RUU.rar
This file is an empty RUU. Simply take the RUU_signed.nbh file and put it in the directory this rar file creates. Then you doubleclick the ROMUpdateUtility.exe and let this thing push the sprint ROM on your phone. Keep this program around, its great, basically any ROM you want to load you can put your phone in bootloader mode (remember the camera+power+reset trick?), rename the ROM to RUU_signed.nbh, drop it in this folder and run the update. Simple, right? Go have another cigarette, this ROM takes a while to load. But don't be gone too long, there is an important step coming up you really don't want to miss. I did and I hosed my phone so bad I had to go back to the Bell stock ROM. Running bell stock is so yucky it gives me shivers, so lets avoid that.
toonces
toonces
May 2 2008, 9:15 PM EDT
After the ROM is done loading, your phone will actually boot, sprint logo's and all (don't worry about that, we can fix that later). You will have to do your touch the screen to align, set time, etc, then when you see the message that it will run customizations in 3 seconds, REBOOT THE PHONE with your stylus. Do not miss this step, if those customizations run, your are screwed. (not really, but if you read a few posts in ppcgeeks, you will recover). On reboot it will not run anything and will be ready to go. Now lets check our programming. hit ##778# and view your settings. MSID, ESN, etc all look good? It should if you did not let the customizations run. Maybe make a phone call just to check. If anything is off, like your ESN, just ##778#, edit and use the MSL code. Then put the settings back. You really are in control of your phone now, feel like a bigshot? Well, at least, does it feel like you actually own your phone now? Very unlikely that any settings will be changed and you will have to put your ESN back, but better safe then sorry. Do you find this valuable?    
toonces
toonces
May 2 2008, 9:16 PM EDT
And now, the fun part. You are ready to build custom ROM's and hack your phone to your delight. You could stay with the sprint rom, but I think its crappy myself. Sure, your bluetooth will actually work, but the OS is still old and there is so much more you can do with it. The custom ROM's you hear about from DCD and No2Chem do not contain a radio, just the OS stuff, so you will not have to do the sprint flash again, we just did it to get the radio part. Once we overwrite with a custom ROM the OS will be updated, but you still have your cool new radio with working bluetooth, and the nifty lets hack it rainbow bootloader. How you get and load your custom ROM is flexible. For a first crack you may just want to download a already compiled and ready to load ROM, either DCD's
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=385336
or No2Chem's
http://rapidshare.com/files/101488056/nueROM_v2.0_build_5058.rar
Just like the sprint ROM, take the nbh file, rename it RUU_signed.nbh, drop it in the RUU directory and click the update utility, the program takes care of the rest. Give yourself some downtime on a weekend to play with a few ROM's. When you are feeling good about the prebuilt ROM's, try installing the kitchen (a kitchen allows you to 'cook' your own ROM) from ppckitchen.org. This thing is way to cool to describe here. Download the app, run the updater, and literally build a custom rom with a really slick GUI interface. You have to see it to believe it.
toonces
toonces
May 2 2008, 9:16 PM EDT
That's about it. Hope it helped, and happy hacking. Do you find this valuable?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
Saved as a page
May 2 2008, 10:19 PM EDT
This thread was saved as a page. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Bell PPC 6800 flased with sprint rom.... now everything works again;))
May 3 2008, 7:23 PM EDT
My friend you are a star.... the missus and I have had huge issues for weeks with bells/htc crappy software, just followed your step by step and got all my blutooth functions back, using my GPS dongle reliably agian, able to make and complete a call, sync issues gone and Bluetooth rock solid.

See what you mean about it being old tho, thinking about experimenting with a few you mentioned, do you know what I will gain??... also came a cross a windows mobile 6.1 upgrade for sprint ...used it to no avail as vendor id conflicted whilst flased with Bell software.

Will probably work now might give it a go.

Thanks again, you have saved me weeks of patronising 'rebooting' and 'restting' and being told by bell its their network when you know full well they sent you a bum version.... tut tut bell.
bellfighter

bellfighter
May 4 2008, 2:05 AM EDT
agggghhhhh spoke too soon... cant get the cdma data connection back up, keep getting can't connect error. I don't think I let Sprint customization run.... any ideas?

It's trying to dial #777, esn and msid look fine, could sprint 'customization have run in the 'background'?
toonces
toonces
May 4 2008, 9:29 AM EDT
"agggghhhhh spoke too soon... cant get the cdma data connection back up, keep getting can't connect error. I don't think I let Sprint customization run.... any ideas?

It's trying to dial #777, esn and msid look fine, could sprint 'customization have run in the 'background'?"
I think you would have noticed it, maybe some Bell phones just get hosed by the update. I had the same exact problem, as did another user that posted.
No need to repeat instructions, check this out:
http://htcwiki.com/thread/1439477/Data+connection+problem+after+flashing+ROM

-the t00n

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)