• A Wetpaint Site
close
Welcome! Wikis are websites that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Discussion: For anyone who ever wondered, could I really make my own ROM?

Keyword tags: 6800 bell ppc6800 utstarcom
Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

toonces
toonces
For anyone who ever wondered, could I really make my own ROM?
Apr 29 2008, 2:13 PM EDT
If you are sick of your Bell 6800, and intrigued by all these people claiming to be making their own ROMs, fixing their own phones, and generally really enjoying a great phone that you think is a piece of crap, please read the first 3 or 4 sticky posts here:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57
and decide for yourself.

It's really not that bad, take your time read the flashing for dummies and upgrade guide, HTC made this phone to be flashed, there are many recovery options for bad flashes. Of course life is all about buyer beware, but my experience has been extremely positive. Bell should thank the folks at ppcgeeks and xda-developers, without them, I would have thrown out my 6800 and canceled my Bell service out of hatred alone over their support.
I can understand Bell needed time to validate ROM's, but DO NOT LIE TO ME AND TELL ME THERE IS NO REPORTED PROBLEM, you morons. I have google, I'm not stupid. If it wasn't for the fine work of the people at ppcgeeks (No2Chem for example) and xda-developers (DCD is tha man!) I'd be on rogers by now.
Personally I like DCD ROM's, but allot of people are really enjoying the ppcgeeks kitchen as it really takes a simple process and makes it pretty much impossible to screw up, and lots of fun to customize.

So please, enough posts about how your Bell phone sucks, or your bluetooth doesn't work. Believe me, we all know and have lived it. The answer is in the posts for the link above.
Enjoy

-the t00n
Do you find this valuable?    
toonces
toonces
RE: For anyone who ever wondered, could I really make my own ROM?
Apr 29 2008, 2:20 PM EDT
The posts you will read at ppcgeeks are specific to Sprint users, if there is interest, I can repeat the instructions for Bell users specifically, there is a minor adjustment, basically use the olipro-2.40 the unlock and the custom RUU installer to shovel the sprint ROM (nbh file in the exe your download) down your 6800's throat. Reset before customizations kick in and load your own ROM.
It makes sense to me, but if anyone wants a step by step walkthrough with links to the tools to do this, I will provide. Just did not see a need to be redundant if people are ok with the ppcgeeks posts.

Anonymous
May 2 2008, 10:30 AM EDT
Hi toonces,

Could you please post instructions for bell users. I am trying to get phone to finally work properly but am scared to screw up the phone.

Thanks

baba

Anonymous
May 4 2008, 10:51 AM EDT
"Hi toonces,

Could you please post instructions for bell users. I am trying to get phone to finally work properly but am scared to screw up the phone.

Thanks

baba"
hi tones,

forget about it i did some more searching and got it to work.

thanks

baba

Anonymous
May 8 2008, 10:02 AM EDT
"hi tones,

forget about it i did some more searching and got it to work.

thanks

baba"
Hi Guys,

I've had my 6800 for a week now and I'm liking it but I hate Bell's Today screen and would love to get the GPS going. Oh and the touchflo stuff is pretty cool too I guess.

I was wondering if I could get the Bell version of the instructions or if baba found good step by step instructions if he could point me in that direction.

I just want to say I have been reading lots and it seems so simple. At first anyway, but I get to the point where I think, ok lets do it and then I read a little more then I get confused. I'm very paranoid about bricking the thing because I just can't shell out more money for a new phone.

Thanks,
Gabbo

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)