• A Wetpaint Site
Already a member?
Sign in
close
Welcome! Wikis are websites that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Discussion: GPS

Keyword tags: 6800 bell ppc6800 utstarcom
Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

Anonymous
GPS
Jan 29 2008, 4:38 PM EST
Has anyone tried a GPS bluetooth adapter? If so i'm curious as to what manufacturer and how well it works? Was the map software included and is there a monthly cost? Do you find this valuable?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
RE: GPS
Jan 29 2008, 4:44 PM EST
"Has anyone tried a GPS bluetooth adapter? If so i'm curious as to what manufacturer and how well it works? Was the map software included and is there a monthly cost?"
In general bluetooth GPS receivers have worked very well. I have a Holux 236 that I use with my wife's AT&T 8525 (HTC Hermes). This unit cost $60 U.S. Software was not included, but I did purchase one called iGuidance for about $100. Once you purchase it, you own it and there is no subsequent charge. Do you find this valuable?    
Mooseman2
Mooseman2
Feb 2 2008, 1:28 AM EST
I just got a cheapo liquidation bluetooth GPS, model BT-5. I got it here:
http://www.factorydirect.ca/catalog/product_spec.php?pcode=BT0005
It took me some fiddling around. It connected fine using the useless location program it came with but all other programs could not get it to work. this is how I got it to work:

1. Turned on the GPS and placed it on a window sill.
2. Went into Bluetooth comm settings and went through adding the new device.
3. At the end, checked off use as "serial port" box and finished install
4. Then, back in the Bluetooth settings, at the bottom, go to Comm ports tab
5. Click on "New Outgoing Port", select COM4 and hit Finish.
6. Go in the main Settings>System and click on External GPS
7. In Programs and Hardware tabs, ensure "None" is selected and baud rate at 4800.
8. Access tab, check off "Manage GPS automatically (recommended)"

Whatever program you use, specify to use COM4 for the GPS at 4800 baud.

I can't comment on how accurate as I just got it yesterday and got it working today only. From what I read, it uses a good Nemerix chipset and has excellent battery life.

Or you might want to hold off until HTC puts out an update that will enable the built-in GPS.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Mooseman2
Mooseman2
Feb 2 2008, 1:34 AM EST
Forgot to mention, this GPS doesn't come with any useful software. I have Delorme's Streets Atlas 2008, which includes a PPC version. You can plan your trips and export the maps to your phone, even if you don't have a GPS yet but will work once you do. Again, I haven't had a chance to try it out. Delorme also sells BT GPS units with software. Do you find this valuable?    
ronklo

ronklo
Feb 2 2008, 3:27 AM EST
I have a Socket BT (black one) similar to the one shown on the right at this page: http://www.socketmobile.com/support/downloads/legacy/gps/ for about $60 US and came with a car charger, battery, and Y splitter cable with barrel plugs to fit standard 5v (Ipaq, cameras etc). It works very well.. (once you get it set up as noted in Mooseman2's post above). I use Mapopolis (which is now discontinued). You might still be able to download the s/w along with demo maps that last for 9 days from this link: http://www.mapopolis.com/home.jsp?v=c&pg=gm&s=1180927660064839&p=&q=0
It has voice guidance, toll / highway avoidance, zoom, auto rotate, and many nice features. I use it on a HTC6800, and have used it on my IPAQ 2210 previously. To be honest though, I just bought a once piece Fujitsu Loox GPS at Tigerdirect for $120, and it included a 2gig mini SD card with a map of Canada/USA. It's small, light, does not tie up your phone, no messing with multiple maps, MP3/photo/video player, touch screen, guidance, window/dash mount, car and home chargers, day/night viewing, volume increases on highways, etc.. VERY nice...
Do you find this valuable?    
toonces
toonces
Feb 13 2008, 7:38 PM EST
I'm using the onboard gps in the 6800 now, with google maps. Kind of slow compared to my bluetooth sedio external gps, but its always with me. If I'm outside it takes 30s to a min to lock on, but once it has it works pretty well. Haven't tried it with commercial software like iGuidence and tom tom, as I hear there are issues with them recognizing the gps. Do you find this valuable?    
samos
samos
Feb 13 2008, 8:16 PM EST
Did you have to use a custom ROM to get the limited On Board GPS to work. I've read a lot about the possibility of using the built in 911 GPS location hardware but have not found anything useful on how to do it.

Any help you could pass on to the 6800 community would I'm sure be appreciated by us all.
toonces
toonces
Feb 14 2008, 12:11 AM EST
im using a customized rom with an updated radio, and Its a full gps, you don't need internet or phone access to use it, just the rom.
Im not recommending anyone do this, the assumption is one day our loving and caring carrier will certify the new roms and release it to us poor undeserving masses, huddled and cold, wishing our bluetooth was working.
But as you can tell by my sarcasm, I got damn sick of waiting, and being ignored. A good google search on your phone and rom's will answer your questions better then I can. I just leech off the good work of others. All I know is my phone has never worked better, the onboard gps is just another bonus, its always with me.

Having said all that, before you go bricking your phone, it is still not as fast an as accurate as my external bluetooth was.

Anonymous
Feb 14 2008, 12:20 AM EST
Is the Bluetooth lockup issue fixed with the rom you insalled? Do you find this valuable?    
samos
samos
Feb 14 2008, 12:58 AM EST
In my travels I have found many ROMs full of all kinds of software and claiming to unlock the GPS and fix all kinds of issues. However fearing that I might "brick" my phone I have yet to try any, I haven't even tried updating with the ROM Bell finally released because of the horror stories I've read. I'm quite familiar with updating PPC ROMS and modifying phone software but the 6800 is the most expensive hand held I've bought so am somewhat weary of trying any unproven ROMS.

If you don't mind me asking toonces what ROM did you use? There are so many out there to chose from and I'd rather not go with a trial and error methodology to find a ROM.
Since you've already had the "guts" to give some ROMs a try, I for one would love to hear what one worked for you.

Thank you again
toonces
toonces
Feb 14 2008, 1:54 AM EST
roms can be very subjective, some are stripped down, some come with all the bells and whistles, I don't know that its not a bad idea to try a few to see if its what you like.
This kind of stuff is heavily documented out there, and this question would be much better posted in those forums as there is allot of people testing roms, as opposed to just me (and mooseman2 if he wants to speak up ;)
I can't cover them all, but after trying about 3 different ones, I settled on a very new wm6.1 version. The mem management alone is worth it.
I'm kind of keen on staying bleeding edge now, heck, it's software, its only as good as its last version . . . .
toonces
toonces
Feb 14 2008, 2:01 AM EST
"Is the Bluetooth lockup issue fixed with the rom you insalled?"
yes it is, and its the reason I even started looking at hacked roms. I have experienced no lockups, and even nicer, have had no complaints from people I am talking to about voice quality. Kind of nice to be on a call without my listener always asking me to repeat myself, even becoming so garbled they can't hear me at all. No random drops either, and I now have stereo bluetooth headset, stereo bluetooth speakers, and 2 call headsets paired with this phone. I can switch between them with ease, and have not had any issues.

On am interesting note, there was also a bug where confirmations over bluetooth were not working with MS voice command, and that is now working great.

I know from experience where you guys are coming from with this phone, its so bad I'm sure this sounds unbelievable to you, but it truly is a great phone, too bad bell wont invest the time to fix it.
Mooseman2
Mooseman2
Feb 14 2008, 9:02 PM EST
Yeah, I hacked my phone too and using the latest available Sprint ROM. I have tried some modded ROMs and found I liked "simpler is better" so that's why I stuck with the Sprint ROM. Almost the same as Bell's as far as functionality and the bluetooth works great, just like toonces said.

I have the bluetooth GPS that works great with this phone. Once there is an official ROM to enable the built-in GPS, I'll try it. I have heard that the built-in GPS is a GPS-A, which apparently requires cell coverage to work so I might not get rid of the bluetooth GPS since I use it while snowmobiling. Will be useful for finding streets in town.
toonces
toonces
Feb 15 2008, 1:06 PM EST
I actually jumped to a version of the leaked rom, and find the phone to be much more stable. wm 6.1 is much better at memory management, and the GPS can runs as a GPS, i.e. you can turn of phone and data, and still use the gps, trouble is its much slower them my external gps. There is a reg hack to make it agps, and I find it much zippier in that mode. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Feb 17 2008, 3:34 PM EST
"I just got a cheapo liquidation bluetooth GPS, model BT-5. I got it here:
http://www.factorydirect.ca/catalog/product_spec.php?pcode=BT0005
It took me some fiddling around. It connected fine using the useless location program it came with but all other programs could not get it to work. this is how I got it to work:

1. Turned on the GPS and placed it on a window sill.
2. Went into Bluetooth comm settings and went through adding the new device.
3. At the end, checked off use as "serial port" box and finished install
4. Then, back in the Bluetooth settings, at the bottom, go to Comm ports tab
5. Click on "New Outgoing Port", select COM4 and hit Finish.
6. Go in the main Settings>System and click on External GPS
7. In Programs and Hardware tabs, ensure "None" is selected and baud rate at 4800.
8. Access tab, check off "Manage GPS automatically (recommended)"

Whatever program you use, specify to use COM4 for the GPS at 4800 baud.

I can't comment on how accurate as I just got it yesterday and got it working today only. From what I read, it uses a good Nemerix chipset and has excellent battery life.

Or you might want to hold off until HTC puts out an update that will enable the built-in GPS."
I don't know how thankful it is with your information. I've been struggling for weeks, I went online googling for an answer and none of it working. It seems hopeless and then I called the Geeks tech support for help but they seems don't know the solution. All they said was not compatible with WM 6 and return for store credit. For the last attempted searching for help I found your info and it rocks......

Thank you so much.... I did copy your message with your ID and sent it to Geeks.com tech support for other people indeed need it.

Mooseman2
Mooseman2
Feb 17 2008, 11:14 PM EST
My pleasure. Took me a couple of days fiddling with it to get it working. I think there was a change in the way Windows Mobile handles bluetooth GPS from WM5 to WM6 so there is not much support out there.

I'm a natural born troubleshooter and love to beat out the "real" techies out there and I don't even have any formal training!

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)
Top Contributors