• A Wetpaint Site
close
Welcome! Wikis are websites that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Discussion: Tilt: Organizing your files (internal memory - storage card)

Keyword tags: 8925 AT&T 8925 AT&T Tilt HTC TyTN II kaiser tilt
Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

2 | Next
Scottyee

Scottyee
Tilt: Organizing your files (internal memory - storage card)
Nov 11 2007, 5:37 PM EST
1) Where (internal memory/storage card) do you store your files?

* Application Programs
* Music/Video
* Pictures
* Microsoft Word/Excel Files
* PDF Files
* Ringtones
* Themes
* Cab ( installer) files; Do you remove these from your phone once app is installed?

2) Can any of the above folders/files be moved to a different location, or to the micro SDHC memory card? If so, do will you lose a program's link to them?

3) Do you create dedicated folders to keep your files organized?
If so: what sort of folder/file heirarchy do you use to organize them?

4) What backup utility program (if any) do you use to backup your phone data?

Thanks,

Scotty
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
RE: Tilt: Organizing your files (internal memory - storage card)
Nov 11 2007, 8:53 PM EST
"1) Where (internal memory/storage card) do you store your files?

* Application Programs
* Music/Video
* Pictures
* Microsoft Word/Excel Files
* PDF Files
* Ringtones
* Themes
* Cab ( installer) files; Do you remove these from your phone once app is installed?

2) Can any of the above folders/files be moved to a different location, or to the micro SDHC memory card? If so, do will you lose a program's link to them?

3) Do you create dedicated folders to keep your files organized?
If so: what sort of folder/file heirarchy do you use to organize them?

4) What backup utility program (if any) do you use to backup your phone data?

Thanks,

Scotty"
1. I keep applications, ringtones and themes on the main memory of the Tilt. Everything else, I keep on the storage card. The Tilt has enough memory to keep the apps on it.

2. I think all except for the ringtones can be moved to the memory card. The ringtones seem to be mapped to that folder on the device's main memory, though I could be wrong.

3. I definitely use dedicated folders to store my files. For CAB installers, I created a folder called "Applications". For music, I sync with Windows Media Player 11 on my laptop, so a Music file is automatically created on my card. I have a separate videos folder as well. For Word/Excel/PDF, I just created a My Documents folder and store them in there. Each of these applications will automatically look on both the card and the device for their respective files.

4. I use the Sprite backup utility that was included with the Tilt. It's fast and convenient. It does more than enough for my needs.
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
Scottyee

Scottyee
Nov 13 2007, 1:13 PM EST
Rainman76: Many thanks for sharing all the valuable advice. Thanks especially for pointing out the Sprite Backup Utility. I hadn't realized it was included (preinstalled) on the Tilt. Ok, gotta go run my first backup now. ;)

Thanks again.

Scotty
Do you find this valuable?    
eternalnewby
eternalnewby
Dec 7 2007, 4:09 PM EST
how can I store (all 300!) of my contacts on the memory card so that when I sync, it syncs to the right place (memory card)? Do you find this valuable?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
Dec 8 2007, 9:31 AM EST
"how can I store (all 300!) of my contacts on the memory card so that when I sync, it syncs to the right place (memory card)?"
Unfortunately, there isn't a way to sync contacts to the memory card. Here is the reason why from the Windows Mobile Team Blog:

A frequent question is why we don't support putting more things on storage cards. For instance, we don't allow you to store your contacts, calendar entries, or email on storage cards. (We do allow you to store attachments there, though.) The general problem is that storage cards can, by their nature, be removed from the device. Some types of data don't lend themselves to being there one second and gone the next. Sync would get very confused if it saw 300 contacts on one sync, and then only saw 10 on the next. It would certainly be possible to work out some sort of interface to allow this, but it would be pretty complicated, both to code and to use.

Things that already have the concept of sometimes being there and sometimes not, like email attachments and temporary internet files, are easier to handle on an SD card.

As with any potential feature, allowing someone to put their contacts on a storage card would require that we not do some other feature. On prioritizing SD changes, we take a lot of factors into consideration, one of which is where we see internal flash going. We've already seen phones with multiple gigabytes of internal storage. As things like that become more common, the value of doing new things on storage cards goes down. There's still value in working on SD, it's just that it's not as valuable as other things are.

Here is the link to the blog:

http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/archive/2007/01/12/everything-you-want-to-know-about-sd.aspx
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
eternalnewby
eternalnewby
Dec 8 2007, 6:01 PM EST
Thanks Rainman76 - appreciate the effort (I see you went out of your way to find the answer) and the response does make sense, unfortunately for us, we dont have gigabytes of mem on the 8925 :( BTW - I ordered a 4gig A-Data sdhc card...should be here on Wednesday, so Ill post a response on how well it works. It was only 20 bucks, so I am a bit worried. thx again. Do you find this valuable?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
Dec 8 2007, 6:24 PM EST
"Thanks Rainman76 - appreciate the effort (I see you went out of your way to find the answer) and the response does make sense, unfortunately for us, we dont have gigabytes of mem on the 8925 :( BTW - I ordered a 4gig A-Data sdhc card...should be here on Wednesday, so Ill post a response on how well it works. It was only 20 bucks, so I am a bit worried. thx again."
No problem. I was just thinking though.. 300 contacts don't really take up that much space on the device. Have you attached photos to your contacts? If so, I would recommend attaching smaller versions of the photos to your contacts, that way it saves on space. Do you find this valuable?    
eternalnewby
eternalnewby
Dec 10 2007, 3:17 PM EST
"No problem. I was just thinking though.. 300 contacts don't really take up that much space on the device. Have you attached photos to your contacts? If so, I would recommend attaching smaller versions of the photos to your contacts, that way it saves on space. "
I have 238 contacts that I synched from my 2003 outlook (laptop). when I go to system/memory on my tilt IC: Storage total 124.54, in use 28.77 free 95.77 and Program total 101.38 in use 31.84 free 69.54. I havent loaded anything on this ATT TILT - just synched with "contacts" and "calendar". I still need to load some sort of telnet app, voice command (like Microsoft voice command 1.6), and gps. I was hoping to load as much as possible on my 4gb sdhc card (which should be arriving tomorrow) as I know Microsoft OS tends to get unhappy when storage and sys mem gets over 1% usage (just kidding, but you know what I mean). Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Dec 19 2007, 2:23 AM EST
Dude, I have 3,800 contacts on my Tilt. And yeah, I think they're having an impact on Storage space. But I don't think your 238 are causing much of a problem, unless as said before, you've got pictures or something else going on with them.

One problem you're having is the thing comes half loaded with useful stuff, and crap. Lots of which can't be easily deleted.

Anonymous
Dec 20 2007, 9:49 PM EST
Ya agreed - just got my A-data 4gb sdhc card - and will likely try to re-boot the tilt to prevent the crap from loading...before I start spending money on cool apps that are useful. I guess the more important factor is the "program" memory - mine says total 101mb and 38.54mb in use, leaving 62.84mb with only ActiveSync in the 'running programs'. 3800 contacts...hmm - sales guy? Regarding loading APPS onto the memory card - so far I loaded skype and some telnet clients by downloading the application to my laptop and running the EXE file while my tilt is synched with my laptop, and yes the window on tilt popped up asking where I want to store the app to - but it doesnt allow me to chose a specific folder on the storage card, just 'storage card' - is there a way to choose a specific folder? I dont want my tilt to get as messy as my laptop. Do you find this valuable?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
Dec 20 2007, 9:55 PM EST
"Ya agreed - just got my A-data 4gb sdhc card - and will likely try to re-boot the tilt to prevent the crap from loading...before I start spending money on cool apps that are useful. I guess the more important factor is the "program" memory - mine says total 101mb and 38.54mb in use, leaving 62.84mb with only ActiveSync in the 'running programs'. 3800 contacts...hmm - sales guy? Regarding loading APPS onto the memory card - so far I loaded skype and some telnet clients by downloading the application to my laptop and running the EXE file while my tilt is synched with my laptop, and yes the window on tilt popped up asking where I want to store the app to - but it doesnt allow me to chose a specific folder on the storage card, just 'storage card' - is there a way to choose a specific folder? I dont want my tilt to get as messy as my laptop."
When installing applications to your memory card, Windows Mobile automatically creates a Programs folder on the memory card. It will then install applications into this main folder. As for getting more than the 101MB of prgram memory, there is a trick to gain about an addition 14 to 15 MB. This trick does require a hard reset, but it's worth it. Once you do a hard reset and start your Tilt again, you will see a screen that pops up and says something along the lines of "Installing customizations in 3 seconds". When you see this window, hit the soft reset hole at the bottom of the device. This will prevent all of the AT&T bloatware from being installed, thus saving memory.

The bloatware still exists on the device as .cab files, and if there is anything you want, most of it can be found in the Windows folder of the Tilt. Also, this process restores the Internet Sharing application that normally comes with WM6 and removes the Windows Modem appliocation. Internet Sharing is a better tethering tool in that it also allows you to make and receive phone calls while your Tilt is tethered to your laptop as a modem. I know, because I have done this.
chasdl

chasdl
Feb 20 2008, 9:33 PM EST
Hi Eternal.... Does the new 4GIG card work well on your Tilt? Also, did you have to uninstall and then reinstall all your applications to upgrade the card size?

Thanks...

(***)
Rainman76
Rainman76
Feb 20 2008, 10:10 PM EST
"Hi Eternal.... Does the new 4GIG card work well on your Tilt? Also, did you have to uninstall and then reinstall all your applications to upgrade the card size?

Thanks...

(***)"
I have an 8GB MicroSDHC card in my Tilt and it works great. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Feb 21 2008, 1:40 PM EST
I'm glad to hear it, and I'm thinking about an 8GIG card as well. (And, I don't know about you, but I love the Tilt. I think it's a great phone.) However, I'm trying to get at the issue of how to upgrade from an existing smaller sized card to a larger sized card.

The easiest way would be to make a file-by-file duplicate of the smaller card on the larger card, and hope that the system doesn't care about the size of the cards, particularly, as long as all the files are there and in the correct folders. The more difficult way would be to uninstall every application that is installed on the smaller card, and then re-install them on the larger card.

Do you happen to know if the file-by-file method will work, or if the uninstall / reinstall method is necessary?

Thanks...

(***)
Rainman76
Rainman76
Feb 21 2008, 3:20 PM EST
"I'm glad to hear it, and I'm thinking about an 8GIG card as well. (And, I don't know about you, but I love the Tilt. I think it's a great phone.) However, I'm trying to get at the issue of how to upgrade from an existing smaller sized card to a larger sized card.

The easiest way would be to make a file-by-file duplicate of the smaller card on the larger card, and hope that the system doesn't care about the size of the cards, particularly, as long as all the files are there and in the correct folders. The more difficult way would be to uninstall every application that is installed on the smaller card, and then re-install them on the larger card.

Do you happen to know if the file-by-file method will work, or if the uninstall / reinstall method is necessary?

Thanks...

(***)
"
It's probably best to just reinstall everything to the new card. To be honest, I have most of my applications stored onto my Tilt itself since it has so much space. The only application I have on my card is iGuidance. Try copying all of the files over the new card and see what happens. It may still recognize it. Do you find this valuable?    
chasdl

chasdl
Feb 21 2008, 5:00 PM EST
"It's probably best to just reinstall everything to the new card. To be honest, I have most of my applications stored onto my Tilt itself since it has so much space. The only application I have on my card is iGuidance. Try copying all of the files over the new card and see what happens. It may still recognize it. "
You're probably right. I thought I was being smart by installing multiple apps to the card, but I'm thinking twice about that policy now...

How much program memory do you have after a reboot (since you have apps installed to memory)?

Also, do you like iGuidance on that phone?

Best...
Rainman76
Rainman76
Feb 21 2008, 5:36 PM EST
"You're probably right. I thought I was being smart by installing multiple apps to the card, but I'm thinking twice about that policy now...

How much program memory do you have after a reboot (since you have apps installed to memory)?

Also, do you like iGuidance on that phone?

Best..."
I love iGuidance, but I am running Version 2.1.3. I haven't tried version 4 yet but may in the next few weeks. As for space, I still have about 61MB free. Here is a list of what I have installed currently:

1. SOTI Pocket Controller
2. HTC Audio Manager
3. Illium Software Dots
4. Microsoft Hearts
5. BCR World Card Reader
6. CodeWallet Pro 6
7. WebIS Pocket Informant 8
8. Spb Phone Suite
9. Spb Insight
10. Microsoft Voice Command 1.6
11. SlingPlayer Mobile 1.5
12. PHM Registry Editor
13. CooTek TouchPal Pro
14. Microsoft Live Search
15. Google Maps
16. Macromedia Flash 7
17. HTC Touch Calculator Skin
18. HTC Phone Dialer Skin
19. HTC 3G Comm Manager
20. HTC Touch Cube
21. HTC Home 6 Tab Plugin
22. Windows Live Services

Anonymous
Feb 21 2008, 10:15 PM EST
"I love iGuidance, but I am running Version 2.1.3. I haven't tried version 4 yet but may in the next few weeks. As for space, I still have about 61MB free. Here is a list of what I have installed currently:

1. SOTI Pocket Controller
2. HTC Audio Manager
3. Illium Software Dots
4. Microsoft Hearts
5. BCR World Card Reader
6. CodeWallet Pro 6
7. WebIS Pocket Informant 8
8. Spb Phone Suite
9. Spb Insight
10. Microsoft Voice Command 1.6
11. SlingPlayer Mobile 1.5
12. PHM Registry Editor
13. CooTek TouchPal Pro
14. Microsoft Live Search
15. Google Maps
16. Macromedia Flash 7
17. HTC Touch Calculator Skin
18. HTC Phone Dialer Skin
19. HTC 3G Comm Manager
20. HTC Touch Cube
21. HTC Home 6 Tab Plugin
22. Windows Live Services"
Wow... Thank you so much for listing the applications you have installed. That is very interesting...

I am astounded that you still have 61 MEG left after installing all of those apps to the phone. Again that makes me think my policy of putting everything possible on the card might be faulty.

The only items I have loaded on the phone itself are MS Voice Command 1.6, Spb Pocket Plus, and a couple of very small items. With those applications, plus around 1,000 Contacts, I have about 69 MEG free when the phone has been freshly rebooted.

If you can get all of those items in only 8 MBytes or so, then it would certainly be worth it to install to the phone and save the problems I'm currently facing with the SD card.

Some of the things you have (that I don't) that look interesting to me are (a) HTC 3G Comm Manager (Does it also handle HSDPA? I used the Kaiser Tweaks program to enable the HSDPA service on my phone; I run with "H" icon about half the time now), (b) HTC Phone dialer skin (bigger buttons?), (c) HTC Home 6 Tab Plugin (how compare to Spb Pocket Plus?), and (d) Google Maps, which I haven't tried yet. I'm using Spb Wallet for my secure data problem.

Great list.. Thanks for taking the time to enter it... Best..

Rainman76
Rainman76
Feb 21 2008, 10:33 PM EST
"Wow... Thank you so much for listing the applications you have installed. That is very interesting...

I am astounded that you still have 61 MEG left after installing all of those apps to the phone. Again that makes me think my policy of putting everything possible on the card might be faulty.

The only items I have loaded on the phone itself are MS Voice Command 1.6, Spb Pocket Plus, and a couple of very small items. With those applications, plus around 1,000 Contacts, I have about 69 MEG free when the phone has been freshly rebooted.

If you can get all of those items in only 8 MBytes or so, then it would certainly be worth it to install to the phone and save the problems I'm currently facing with the SD card.

Some of the things you have (that I don't) that look interesting to me are (a) HTC 3G Comm Manager (Does it also handle HSDPA? I used the Kaiser Tweaks program to enable the HSDPA service on my phone; I run with "H" icon about half the time now), (b) HTC Phone dialer skin (bigger buttons?), (c) HTC Home 6 Tab Plugin (how compare to Spb Pocket Plus?), and (d) Google Maps, which I haven't tried yet. I'm using Spb Wallet for my secure data problem.

Great list.. Thanks for taking the time to enter it... Best..

"
Well.. one of the things I did was not allow the AT&T bloatware install. If you do a hard reset, and go through the initial setup, your device will startup for the first time. Once it gets to the Today screen, a window will pop up saying it will load customizations in three seconds. When that pops up, do a soft reset and it will guarantee you an additional 14 MB of storage space.

As for the other apps, here is what each do:

1. HTC 3G Comm Manager - This is a 10 button comm manager, that has larger buttons and has the same skin as the HTC TyTN II (Euro version of the Tilt). This adds a 3G on/off button so you can save battery life by forcing EDGE service.

2. HTC Phone Dialer - This is the same dialer on the TyTN II/Touch. Larger buttons, but no talk button. No biggie since i use the hardware talk button.

3. HTC Home 6 Tab Plugin - Same as TyTN II. If you look at my profile, you will see a screenshot of my Tilt with this plugin. Compared to PocketPlus? Not as powerful as it only has one tab for apps, but I really like it. If you want screenshots of each tab on the HTC Tab plugin, PM your email and I can send you shots of my device. This also takes up less space than Spb Pocket Plus.

4. I forgot to add that I am running pBar, a task manager developed by a guy in Vietnam. Really great task manager, better than HTC's. Here's what it looks like on this link: http://www.phudongsoft.vn/index.asp?pid=23

The site is in Vietnamese, but if you scroll down to the button, you can download an english version. Just save it on your device under Windows\Start Menu\Programs. Then you can goto Start\Programs and start it. I would also recommend setting it up to run at startup. The settings menu is in the top row of the task manager. It's the icon with three bullet points.

5. Google Maps is cool and so is Live Search. Let me know if you need anything else.

Anonymous
Feb 22 2008, 11:56 AM EST
How are you guys doing that? My program memory has 57mb available of 101mb and storage mem has 5mb (!!) available of 124mb. What separates the program files from the "storage" (data?) files. I don't understand any of the whys or what fors of memory on this tilt. "File explorer" is all I have to use to figure things out with and it's terrible. I can't figure out paths, sizes, extensions or associations so I don't know what goes where. Under Program files I have: iLauncher, Pocketweather, Spb Diary, GPS Tuner, Inesoft Address Book, Kaiser Tweak, ListPro, LoanAnalyser, PhatPad, SpriteBackup, AdvancedConfigTool, HTCAlbum, and NadaviHTCCamera. Also listed is Connections, MusicID, telenav, WebIS, and Windows MediaPlayer. There's several folders and a bazillion files under the windows folder. AT&T Tone 1.18MB?? jeez, that's really important. I don't want music on this thing (or pictures for very long), especially what "they" call music. Terrible stuff at a meg+ each they've preinstalled and it won't delete. I ordered Garmin XT 3 weeks ago, still haven't got it. Am I gonna be able to constructively use the left over space on their card for whatever the heck "storage" is?

Joel
2 | Next

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)
Top Contributors