• A Wetpaint Site
Welcome! This is a website that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Discussion: New ROM from SPRINT

Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

Mooseman2
Mooseman2
New ROM from SPRINT
Mar 12 2008, 7:54 PM EDT
All you guys who hacked your phones to work with other ROMs, HTC has just released the official SPRINT ROM that enables the GPS:
http://www.htc.com/us/FAQ_Detail.aspx?p_id=75&act=sd

I just downloaded it and will be installing it tonight. Been waiting for this one! If your phone isn't unlocked to work with this ROM, check this thread for info:
http://htcwiki.com/thread/970776/Unit+lockups+while+using+bluetooth

I had been using the previous ROM for the SPRINT version of this phone with no issues. The only thing though is that I will have to re-do all my customizations after the update. I'll advise on how it goes.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
tomicich

tomicich
RE: New ROM from SPRINT
Mar 13 2008, 4:28 AM EDT
I just applied the update, so far so good.

GPS works just fine with Google Maps and it doesn't look like I've acquired any new problems with the update.

I'll update as good/bad stuff comes up.

KT
Do you find this valuable?    
tomicich

tomicich
Mar 15 2008, 11:47 AM EDT
So far, so good. Bluetooth seems a little stronger as well.

Data connection is rock solid and RevA screams where available.

GPS, while not quite as accurate as my standalone Garmin Zumo, is dependable and locates me quick enough. All in all, I'm pretty impressed considering this is my phone and not a dedicated GPS device.

@ Mooseman2: Have you had a chance to apply the update? Any feedback?

KT
toonces
toonces
Mar 16 2008, 1:43 AM EDT
my update seemed to go well, but I first found myself stuck in roaming. . . I am using a custom rom and flashing back the original PRL from Bell to try and get it all to gel.

I have got myself out of roaming, but on first boot I get evdo connected, then it just falls back to 1x. My data connection is not working at all.
Mooseman2
Mooseman2
Mar 16 2008, 2:16 AM EDT
"@ Mooseman2: Have you had a chance to apply the update? Any feedback?"
I had a rough go of it. I applied the update to my unlocked phone, which already had the previous stock Sprint ROM (2.27) and I thought I bricked my phone. The update went to 11% ,disconnected and reconnected several times, then came back and said there was a connection problem. The phone was stuck in the bootloader (tri-colour screen). Loaded another ROM, it came back but it had no radio! I dicked around with it until about 2AM Thursday, finally got it working again. It was with this updated ROM but the GPS wouldn't work. Don't know about the Evdo because I don't use it anymore (I refuse to pay Bell $25 for 4MB of data!). Friday, I re-did the update, went through all the way. GPS works but won't work when the phone is on standby. Leaving the phone on kills the battery really quick. I use the phone to track my snowmobiling trips and this won't do. It's ok if you need to find a street or something but not for my purposes. And I can't get my Bluetooth GPS to work anymore. I think it's a conflict between the two. Bluetooth itself works fine and earpiece volume seems to have improved without having hacked anything.

All in all, I'm happy with it but I'm going to try to find a way to get back to my BT GPS. If I have to completely disable the onboard GPS, so be it.

Don't take my experience to discourage anyone from trying this update. It's different than the other ones because of the changes to the radio and GPS so it may be a bit harder to get it working. There are tools out there in other forums to get you going. The 11% stoppage was documented by a few other people.

Anonymous
Mar 16 2008, 9:20 PM EDT
I've recently upgraded using the both the DCD and Sprint roms. I've noticed with the DCD the GPS locks to a signal faster. Could be because of the application quickGPS. The Sprint Rom does not come with it and my 6800 could not get a look.

My issue is I currently have the Bell DCD rom on my 6800 because with the Sprint is claims my phone is always Roaming??

Has anybody else had this problem or found a way to resolve???

I think the problem is with my PRL file but I haven't yet found out how to correct or update.
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Mar 16 2008, 9:22 PM EDT
"my update seemed to go well, but I first found myself stuck in roaming. . . I am using a custom rom and flashing back the original PRL from Bell to try and get it all to gel.

I have got myself out of roaming, but on first boot I get evdo connected, then it just falls back to 1x. My data connection is not working at all."
Do you mind sharing that ROM?? Did you use the "Kitchen"? Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Mar 16 2008, 10:43 PM EDT
I installed the update today and was pleased that everything worked, until I noticed that Internet Explorer was now unusable. Text heavy pages have become incredibly sluggish. If I scroll down halfway, the browser sort of locks up, even if it's in plain text with no pictures. I'm going to try a hard reset tomorrow... Do you find this valuable?    
toonces
toonces
Mar 17 2008, 10:38 AM EDT
Finally got my phone in order after the update. I had lost some hex key information from the upgrade (really really don't let the sprint customizations run if you flash it) I had to go back to the Bell stock rom, copy down the key info and then program the PRL with it when I updated with the sprint again.

I am running the latest DCD kitchen rom, and so far it is running very well. The phone feels zippier, but I think that may be more related to better video drivers then anything else. So far so good, but I'll give it a few days to see if it holds up.

Anonymous
Mar 28 2008, 8:41 PM EDT
I been updating my ROM everytime they annonce it. Now I updated the newest ROM and let me tell you I had the Mogul for 1yr now and never had any problems. So far still no problems and have used my GPS and it worked Excellent. Now I do not have to use my bluetooth GPS receiver anymore. Any of you want to see how great my GPS on my Mogul goto:

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=Smartphone+GPS+%26+IPHONE+NO+GPS&search_type=

All Iphone users words were WOW! :-)

Anonymous
Mar 28 2008, 8:42 PM EDT
"I installed the update today and was pleased that everything worked, until I noticed that Internet Explorer was now unusable. Text heavy pages have become incredibly sluggish. If I scroll down halfway, the browser sort of locks up, even if it's in plain text with no pictures. I'm going to try a hard reset tomorrow... "
I never had that problem since I had this Mogul for 1 yr now and always download latest ROM. This phone is the best Smartphone and glad I gotten this. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Mar 28 2008, 8:46 PM EDT
"So far, so good. Bluetooth seems a little stronger as well.

Data connection is rock solid and RevA screams where available.

GPS, while not quite as accurate as my standalone Garmin Zumo, is dependable and locates me quick enough. All in all, I'm pretty impressed considering this is my phone and not a dedicated GPS device.

@ Mooseman2: Have you had a chance to apply the update? Any feedback?

KT"
Check out my Mogul GPS it works great with my Mogul. Thanks to it's built in GPS Receiver. No need to use GPS Bluetooth anymore has I hate having to pair it everytime. Now Mogul has built in GPS Receiver I do not have to pair it has it will automatically recognize it. Love this Phone. This phone beats Iphone anytime. I laugh at all Iphone people who dont have GPS built into it and not capable to work with Iphone. :-)

Check out my GPS: http://youtube.com/results?search_query=Smartphone+GPS+%26+IPHONE+NO+GPS&search_type=

Anonymous
Mar 28 2008, 8:49 PM EDT
"I had a rough go of it. I applied the update to my unlocked phone, which already had the previous stock Sprint ROM (2.27) and I thought I bricked my phone. The update went to 11% ,disconnected and reconnected several times, then came back and said there was a connection problem. The phone was stuck in the bootloader (tri-colour screen). Loaded another ROM, it came back but it had no radio! I dicked around with it until about 2AM Thursday, finally got it working again. It was with this updated ROM but the GPS wouldn't work. Don't know about the Evdo because I don't use it anymore (I refuse to pay Bell $25 for 4MB of data!). Friday, I re-did the update, went through all the way. GPS works but won't work when the phone is on standby. Leaving the phone on kills the battery really quick. I use the phone to track my snowmobiling trips and this won't do. It's ok if you need to find a street or something but not for my purposes. And I can't get my Bluetooth GPS to work anymore. I think it's a conflict between the two. Bluetooth itself works fine and earpiece volume seems to have improved without having hacked anything.

All in all, I'm happy with it but I'm going to try to find a way to get back to my BT GPS. If I have to completely disable the onboard GPS, so be it.

Don't take my experience to discourage anyone from trying this update. It's different than the other ones because of the changes to the radio and GPS so it may be a bit harder to get it working. There are tools out there in other forums to get you going. The 11% stoppage was documented by a few other people."
Never had problem with my Mogul has I always update my ROM to the newest one.

Look how great my GPS is on my Mogul. Love it and Iphone can't even do that...

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=Smartphone+GPS+%26+IPHONE+NO+GPS&search_type=

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)
Top Contributors