• A Wetpaint Site
close
Welcome! Wikis are websites that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Discussion: HTC Ultimate Wish List

Keyword tags: 6800 buttons d-pad Memory Mogul PPC-6800 screen Sprint Wish list
Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

Andy4321

Andy4321
HTC Ultimate Wish List
Mar 26 2008, 8:44 PM EDT
I was told that the tech guys at HTC regularly watch these pages and threads to pick up ideas and get feedback. Well here's my Ultimate wish list for the next generation CDMA HTC phone. [Yes CDMA, I'm hooked on Sprint.] Please note that I realize there are trade-offs. For example, if you want longer battery life, you must have a larger / heavy device to accommodate a bigger battery. I got that, but this is a wish list. I will try to prioritize the list and also make comments where appropriate.

NOTE TO ALL POSTERS, please post your #1, #2 and #3 biggest wishes so HTC will get some ideas to put in their next gen phone:

#1 - Make the device thinner. The Mogul still is a little thick to carry in the pocket. You could make it slightly wider or taller if that allows you to make it thinner.
#2 - Memory, memory, memory. What were you thinking only putting 64MB in the device. This is a POWER PDA. Some threads say that more memory eats more power. Well okay, then make a hardware switch on the back, under the battery that allows the user to set the device to 64 or 128MB. Easy enough and you'll make everyone happy.
#3 - Make the screen reflect the sunlight. I don't know how to describe this or what the technical term is, but it seems that some LCD screens reflect the sunlight and actually make the colors POP! This screen seems to go black in the sunlight. It's nearly impossible to read in direct sunlight. How come this isn't a problem on my iPod Nano and it costs way less than this device. I can read my iPod in the daylight.
#4 - Screen resolution. What the heck! It's a POWER PDA, give it a screen worthy of a power device. Make it a VGA screen so we can be proud to show it to our iPhone friends. I'm actually a little embarrassed to show pics of my kids on it.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST - CONTINUED ON NEXT POST
15  out of 16 found this valuable. Do you?    
Andy4321

Andy4321
HTC Ultimate Wish List
Mar 26 2008, 8:55 PM EDT
CONTINUED FROM 1st POST - CONTINUED FROM 1st POST

#5 - Make the camera a 3 Mega Pixel. 2 isn't all that bad, but 3 takes really nice photos. Also, give the lens a cover. Make a little slider that can cover the lens when not used. Also it will protect the lens from your fingers when your holding it, preventing fingerprints.
#6 - BUTTONS - I don't know who came up with the button placement, but let's talk about it. If you hold the phone in your left hand and use the scroll wheel to go up and down and then press the scroll wheel in to select the item probably 1 out of 2 or 3 times you end up turning of the screen because someone placed the power button on the opposite side. That was not very bright. It's very difficult to press the scroll wheel or OK without hitting the OFF/ON button. Move the ON/OFF to the top of the device where it won't interfere with the other side. Move the COMM button down so it also gets out of the way. If you don't believe me, try your own device.
#7 - IR port. Who placed it on the bottom? What? Why? If I what to send something to the printer, beam a business card or just sync with my computer, I have to hold my device upside down in portrait mode. Silly.
#8 - Scroll wheel should be replaced with a scroll ball. That way you can move up & down and side to side. That would be very helpful when surfing the web. Since a scroll ball may be patented by the competition, how about a scroll wheel with left and right pressure sensing to accomplish basically the same thing.
#9 - The D-pad button on this device sucks! I'm sorry, but I use mine all the time and since it's circular and not squared off, sometimes you move down when you meant to move right. Or up when you meant to move left. You get the picture. If it was square you could navigate more accurately. A round button allows for more errors in navigation.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST - CONTINUED ON NEXT POST
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
Andy4321

Andy4321
HTC Ultimate Wish List
Mar 26 2008, 9:22 PM EDT
CONTINUED FROM 2nd POST

#10 - Get rid of the hardware WiFi button. I know there are a lot of people that will complain about this, but there are many software programs [PhoneAlarm, Pocket Weaver] that can control when wifi is activated or deactivated, but that can't be done with a hardware button. Go back to a software control and if someone wants to switch it off use the COMM manager just like the phone and bluetooth. Why should wifi be any different.
#11 - Make the battery just slightly larger or denser or whatever to squeeze out a few more mAh. If you go to the site seidio.com you will see that they managed to make the battery hold 10% more juice. Well if they can do it, HTC should be able to as well!
#12 - Rubberize the case. Shinny and slick is cool, but not necessarily practical for an expensive phone. You don't want this phone slipping out of your hand.
#13 - If you do make the device thinner by making it slightly wider and slightly taller, how about slipping a bigger screen in as well. This one is nice, but a bigger screen would be better. Make it VGA and that would ROCK!
#14 - Back to the buttons for a moment, make them feel more solid. I don't know why, but my Treo 700wx has solid buttons. Those buttons didn't make weird "clicky" noises when your finger brushed over them. I feel like at any moment, a button could pop off. Why don't you get your hands on a Treo 700wx and feel those buttons, they're solid.
#15 - Round off the edges to make the phone look less like a brick and more like a cool phone.

Now that I made my list I wanted to thank all of the engineers & developers who work at HTC and made this phone. GREAT JOB! This is by far the best phone that I have owned. Other than the memory shortage and the d-pad, I really love this phone. However, there's always room for improvement and a reason for me to spend my cash on a new HTC phone. Keep up the great work!.

3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
cravinmild

cravinmild
RE: HTC Ultimate Wish List
Mar 27 2008, 4:05 PM EDT
Very good list. Not much i can add to it but will try(some of my ideas may be able to be done with software).
#1 Video chat - a small cam in the front of the phone in addition to the rear cam
#2 Larger screen capable of split screen ie Video chat with someone WHILE viewing gps (i have bell so no gps but would like it)(would come in handy while giving directions to someone).
#3 The ability to drag and drop apps to phone what will work without instal( i hate hunting for apps then the process of instal). Included on the disk for the phone u bought. Does not have to be the best apps but something more that is very very easy to use for the commoner or busy people who don't like to spend time doing that kind of thing. Perhaps some common software built in that eliminates the instal part of it.
#4 Supply a better case. Some thing that completely wraps the phone. Does not have to be waterpruff but does not expose the edges/side of the phone (it is a 600$ phone) better protection i guess.
#5 what is with the custom plug in for earbuds???? i want to be able to just use what ever headphones i want with out an adapter in the middle.
#6 Love the phone Hate my cell provider. I would love to run/do all the stuff this phone can do but pigionholed by cell service provider caps. Release software (after it is apparent service provider is not willing to do so) to inable the services u want ie GPS (looking at BELL).
#7 coffiemaker. Phone does everything else but make my coffie
ok that is it. by the way great thread idea.
3  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
mattcoaz
mattcoaz
Mar 28 2008, 1:03 PM EDT
#1 make it flip, I love my flip screen phone HTC 3125 but I have not seen any new Smart Phones that flip, they all expose the main LCD to scratches, and cracking. My ideal would be an improved 3125 with a mini-USB instead of the proprietary one. 400Mhz cpu, WM6, and MicroSDHC so I can get more than 2GB of storage! Smaller would be nice, but not required, as I like the feel of the larger phone. Thinner would be a good improvement, longer battery life would also be good. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
Mar 28 2008, 2:50 PM EDT
"#1 make it flip, I love my flip screen phone HTC 3125 but I have not seen any new Smart Phones that flip, they all expose the main LCD to scratches, and cracking. My ideal would be an improved 3125 with a mini-USB instead of the proprietary one. 400Mhz cpu, WM6, and MicroSDHC so I can get more than 2GB of storage! Smaller would be nice, but not required, as I like the feel of the larger phone. Thinner would be a good improvement, longer battery life would also be good."
That was going to be the HTC Erato. It still had the proprietary connector, but unfortunately, HTC decided to kill that one off it would seem. But there is still hope as PDAdb.net is still listing it as a May 2008 release date (possibly). Here's a link to PDAdb.net that had the preliminary specs:

http://www.pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=727
2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Mar 31 2008, 11:05 PM EDT
#1. Add the drivers for hardware video/opengl acceleration.
#2. Add the drivers for hardware video/opengl acceleration.
#3. Add the drivers for hardware video/opengl acceleration.
#4. Add the drivers for hardware video/opengl acceleration.
#5. Add the drivers for hardware video/opengl acceleration.
#6. I think you get the picture :)
Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Apr 1 2008, 1:15 AM EDT
I couldnt agree more. Come on you guy's Your almost there and then boom those little things creep in to keep us looking around for something better. Mike Anthony htc 4000 telus 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Apr 1 2008, 1:17 AM EDT
"I couldnt agree more. Come on you guy's Your almost there and then boom those little things creep in to keep us looking around for something better. Mike Anthony htc 4000 telus"
Please Rubberise. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
mattcoaz
mattcoaz
Apr 1 2008, 2:58 PM EDT
Rainman76 Thats it! the HTC Erato is what I'm shopping for, its got everything plus GPS.
GPS! Why didn't I think of that! wow! Thats the phone I want! May 2008, then trickle down to the carriers by fall 2008. perfect!
Thanks Rainman76.
2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Apr 2 2008, 2:18 PM EDT
"#4 Supply a better case. Some thing that completely wraps the phone. Does not have to be waterpruff but does not expose the edges/side of the phone (it is a 600$ phone) better protection i guess.
"
Buy a custom case if your needs differ. I like the default case b/c I can plug the phone in the charger without pulling it out of the case. This has a nice secondary benefit b/c it covers those bright / blinking LEDs during charging. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Apr 3 2008, 3:47 PM EDT
"#1 make it flip, I love my flip screen phone HTC 3125 but I have not seen any new Smart Phones that flip, they all expose the main LCD to scratches, and cracking. My ideal would be an improved 3125 with a mini-USB instead of the proprietary one. 400Mhz cpu, WM6, and MicroSDHC so I can get more than 2GB of storage! Smaller would be nice, but not required, as I like the feel of the larger phone. Thinner would be a good improvement, longer battery life would also be good."
Regarding the scratches on the screen, suggest you go to www.theinvisibleshield.com and either order their screen shield for your device or find a dealer in your area who may have it in stock. We are a Sprint Authorized Representative and do not let a PDA leave our office without installing the shield. Invented for US Military use on the "leading edge" of helicopter blades to keep them from pitting in the sand. Lifetime guarantee. NOTE: Best to have a Dealer who has experience install it so it will be as invisible as possible. Regarding a Flip PDA, our clients have never mentioned the desire to have one. They love the Mogul & Touch. Hope this inf o helps someone. Mogul is PDA # 8 for me and is far-and-away the best. ONLY NEED MORE MEMORY!! 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)
Recent Site Activity
Top Contributors