• A Wetpaint Site
Already a member?
Sign in
close
Welcome! Wikis are websites that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Discussion: New Update from Bell

Keyword tags: 6800 bell ppc6800 utstarcom
Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

cravinmild

cravinmild
New Update from Bell
Jan 15 2008, 8:37 PM EST
Ok I have a vista system and can't install the rom. I was wondering if anyone else has run the rom yet. I looked at the documents and it seemed to require alot of thougt on my part to install (read it and u judge). I don't think myself someone who is new to installing software but there are a lot of steps involed for this to work. Can someone get the phone updateed at a Bell store from someone who knows and has a windows xp os installed (i mean really, come on, get a clue Bell u sell the phone to anyone and tell them a vista patch will be released. Is this the vista patch.....can't install on vista). Ok ok done with the rant. Do you find this valuable?    
browntannis
browntannis
RE: New Update from Bell
Jan 16 2008, 7:07 PM EST
"Ok I have a vista system and can't install the rom. I was wondering if anyone else has run the rom yet. I looked at the documents and it seemed to require alot of thougt on my part to install (read it and u judge). I don't think myself someone who is new to installing software but there are a lot of steps involed for this to work. Can someone get the phone updateed at a Bell store from someone who knows and has a windows xp os installed (i mean really, come on, get a clue Bell u sell the phone to anyone and tell them a vista patch will be released. Is this the vista patch.....can't install on vista). Ok ok done with the rant. "
For Vista, you have to download the RUU file on your PC, then right click on it and select Run As Administrator.
Or have you tried that?
Do you find this valuable?    
cravinmild

cravinmild
Jan 16 2008, 9:58 PM EST
"For Vista, you have to download the RUU file on your PC, then right click on it and select Run As Administrator.
Or have you tried that?"
I have not tried to run yet as the doc said that it was not for a vista instal. I do have the ruu saved but have not opened it as there is no information that i have seen to suggest that the vista option was there. Where did u find the information with directions for vista as i would like to read it also befor i install. Nothing yet that i have seen has mentioned vista at all. thanks in advance.
higaran
higaran
Jan 21 2008, 8:11 AM EST
Are we talking about ROM update 2.13.666.1? I tried to run it from an XP Pro SP2 machine and it still turned my phone into a brick. The phone freezes on booting, so I'm pretty sure it corrupted my ROM. It's sitting on a service tech's workbench right now and I'm using my old Samsung flip.

I don't recommend this patch to anyone... far too risky. And those who have run it successfully say it doesn't appear to fix anything. My personal opinion is that it's simply a placebo to make us all feel better without solving any real problems.

If you want the whole sad story, see this thread: "ROM 2.13.666.1 killed my 6800!"
cravinmild

cravinmild
Jan 21 2008, 9:12 PM EST
I have everything downloaded now and have read the instructions many many many times so i don't screw it up. I have see very little info (read none) about the update or what it does. Other than not to run off a vista os, Bells web site does not seem to have any info (unless u have nothing to do for hours but surf their ad ridden site with no directions in the hopes it unhides its self) really, with the demand for a new rom u would think it was right at the homepage with flashing lights and whistles blowing, streamers and clowns saying get the new rom here. Sooooo i will call the place i bought it at and have them do it. Will give an update when it is done. Do you find this valuable?    
higaran
higaran
Jan 22 2008, 8:15 AM EST
"i will call the place i bought it at and have them do it. Will give an update when it is done."
That's probably a very wise course of action... if it does fry your phone then let someone else take the blame for it... easier to claim warranty afterward. :-) Do you find this valuable?    
browntannis
browntannis
Jan 22 2008, 2:32 PM EST
"I have not tried to run yet as the doc said that it was not for a vista instal. I do have the ruu saved but have not opened it as there is no information that i have seen to suggest that the vista option was there. Where did u find the information with directions for vista as i would like to read it also befor i install. Nothing yet that i have seen has mentioned vista at all. thanks in advance.
"
The Vista info was somehwere on the HTC America site for a ROM update for another device. If the page for your specific ROM says that it is not for Vista, then dont try to run it. Do you find this valuable?    
cravinmild

cravinmild
Jan 23 2008, 8:40 PM EST
Called Bell today about verifiying the update for the ppc6800. As mentioned before, theycould not navigate their own site to find the update but did confirm the update and passed the link on via text message(UT-STARCOM-personal communications) I must have been an idiot for not trying that first. Guess it must be common knowledge or something. Anyways he told me that i am running an older rom and this one will fix bluetooth and some other fixes i never knew i needed. Once the rom was installed my problems would be over. Sooooooo after his speal i then asked him if it was the vista compatable one because the one i have was not to be instaled on a vista os.......Long Long pause and to which he responded that it was NOT to be installed on vista(thanks for bricking my 600$ phone ass hole). PS he was not aware/denied problems with messenger contacts not showing up till i told him i was sent patch from bell allrighty. I asked about having the place i bought it from and if they could install the rom for me(the same morons who programed my phone as a blackberry) and if theyscrewed it up it would be replaced. He assured me bell would replace/refurbish the phone as it was their rom that screwed it up. Now tell me why i don't trust a word this halfwit says. Any ways off to the big top ( read clowns) Bell to be lied to more. Will keep everyone informed 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)
Top Contributors