• A Wetpaint Site
close
Welcome! Wikis are websites that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Discussion: Wing memory low? software help? and...THANKS

Keyword tags: HTC T-Mobile wing Wing Memory
Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

2 | Next
a8000

a8000
Wing memory low? software help? and...THANKS
Jan 2 2008, 5:47 AM EST
ok i just got my wing a couple weeks ago, after a few messages bout low memory i purchased a 1gb storage card, i immediately transfered a couple programs, music, and pics over to it. I really don't have much running on my phone no knew programs on the main storage and only about 80mb on the 1 gb storage card. So i thought i was good to go! so i sync a small 40mb vid from my pc to phone, go to work, i have some funny stuff to show my co-workers.i keep trying to open the video, it plays for a second then i get some message about unable.because of memory.i can't recall the exact message. so i had to close and press play about 5 times b4 the vid would finally play, when it played it played very slow, staggering/moving in slow motion. I stopped all programs except windows media in task manager.

oh, and how about the time i was ready to record (video) of some co-workers before Christmas break and I got the unable to open camera because of memory message.nothing was running in task manager, i had to power off phone and then i was able to record my restless co-workers who didn't want to be on camera from the start.

Is there any way around all these memory problems with the Wing? i don't use many programs and all pics, small vids, ringtones are on my 1gb storage card, i get memory error messages even when internet explorer and messages aren't running.

3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
a8000

a8000
RE: Wing memory low? software help? and...THANKS
Jan 2 2008, 5:48 AM EST

I forgot to mention, this phone is sloooooooooooooow, it lags sometimes when i click on contacts or end call, i mistakingly hit the touch screen which called the last number which was my supervisor, we had talked that evening around 7pm, well it was around 2am when trying to make another call, it called the last number dialed (my supervisor) i had to press end call about 5 times for it to actually hang up, not cool. the delay when i press text messages or any other app sometimes last 2 seconds to 10 seconds. i have to power off probably once every other day. any remedies?

also any links to any free software for smartphones would be appreciated.

here's a post i made in another section if anycould help.

"it's ashame that i have paid over $300 for my last 2 cell phones each and neither one has a seperate lock for emails and contacts. I currently have t-mobile wing and before i had Dash. It's crazy because i use to have a $99 audiovox phone which enabled me to have lock and unlock my contacts, email, text messages with a simple 4 digit password. My t-mobile wing allows me to lock the entire phone but not different apps. like mainly i want to lock my email, text, and contacts. But, i don't want to have to type on emails password everytime i wish to read an email, a simple 4 digit code is enough. Anybody know of any programs u can download to fix this problem?

i have a touch screen and a co-worker was lookn at my phone, mistakingly tapped the screen an my email just opened, i recently sold a monitor on craigslist which gave many spammers my email so some mail enhancement email popped up when the co-worker tapped it, he got a good joke in.

1  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
a8000

a8000
Jan 2 2008, 5:48 AM EST
same thing with text, 1 tap and u get access to all my text messages, personal and private. I don't understand how my $99 audiovox phone had seperate ways to lock contacts, pics, text, call logs, etc. but my $350 t-mobile Wing doesn't have a way to individually lock different programs, I have to lock to entire phone.

so if anyone knows of any programs to do so please help me, thanks"
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
browntannis
browntannis
Jan 2 2008, 2:32 PM EST
"ok i just got my wing a couple weeks ago, after a few messages bout low memory i purchased a 1gb storage card, i immediately transfered a couple programs, music, and pics over to it. I really don't have much running on my phone no knew programs on the main storage and only about 80mb on the 1 gb storage card. So i thought i was good to go! so i sync a small 40mb vid from my pc to phone, go to work, i have some funny stuff to show my co-workers.i keep trying to open the video, it plays for a second then i get some message about unable.because of memory.i can't recall the exact message. so i had to close and press play about 5 times b4 the vid would finally play, when it played it played very slow, staggering/moving in slow motion. I stopped all programs except windows media in task manager.

oh, and how about the time i was ready to record (video) of some co-workers before Christmas break and I got the unable to open camera because of memory message.nothing was running in task manager, i had to power off phone and then i was able to record my restless co-workers who didn't want to be on camera from the start.

Is there any way around all these memory problems with the Wing? i don't use many programs and all pics, small vids, ringtones are on my 1gb storage card, i get memory error messages even when internet explorer and messages aren't running.

"
Try clearing you Internet History and delete the temporary files to free up more memory. 0  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jan 12 2008, 8:20 PM EST
YOU SHOULD TRY EMPTYING THE TRASH FROM WHEN YOU DELETING FILES 0  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
vipertech1

vipertech1
Jan 13 2008, 8:48 PM EST
Hey try this:
goto task manager and check the box for stopping programs once you tap the "X".
Secondly, goto you your lock under settings and put in a simple 4digit lock. Having the whole thing locked is better than someone being nosey, joking or not.

It sounds like you have other programs running in the background-40mb isnt much, even on my Herald it has locked up only because other programs were running in the background. I suggest MemMaid ( http://software.brighthand.com/product.asp?id=9613 ) Get the trail version and see how you like it ( Read the Reviews as well beforehand)

It has worked well for me but you take your time and set it up (no quick fixup) but after that it help things go smoother for me.
0  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
FearlessM

FearlessM
Jan 16 2008, 10:47 PM EST
Increase your page pool on the device you can find the files over on XDA developers, take off the my faves things on the desktop clear your today screen except for the essentials, turn off activesync whenever it turns on and you should be good to go, increasing the page pool rids the camera problems 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
mredsuperhero

mredsuperhero
Jan 18 2008, 2:23 PM EST
I had a similar problem it would seem. The recognition of the SD card would flip out sporadically causing memory issues with programs as well as access to information on my memory card to disapear. Calling T-Mo they suggested doing a soft reset by taking out the battery. Now it seems to be working. 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jan 18 2008, 6:44 PM EST
I have had several Pocket PC's and Smart Phones. The Wing is the best so far. They all have memory issues. I have experienced all these issues listed here regarding memory issues before MemMaid. The best software to take care of this is MemMaid from DinarSoft. I have never been able to get the max memory use without it. MemMaid is fast and efficient. If you do not want to tinker around with finding all the little memory issues and still not getting what you want try MemMaid. 0  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

[email protected]
Jan 19 2008, 6:58 AM EST
The other item I have found to be quiet successful is the use of the Micro SD card. After installing this i am able to load my extra programs on it instead of taking up precious main memory. This card can also be designated for just about all storage requirements from programs, photos, videos, music, e-mail, email attachments ect. It’s not only the card but the windows os that allows this successfully with every program i have tried. The latest windows mobile software has made solid strides towards functionality and stability. 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
vipertech1

vipertech1
Jan 19 2008, 10:59 PM EST
Dude.....
Did you try the trial download??
0  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jan 20 2008, 7:43 AM EST
Trial download of what? 1  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jan 21 2008, 2:12 PM EST
MemMaid ( http://software.brighthand.com/product.asp?id=9613 ) 0  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jan 22 2008, 9:43 AM EST
There's also the freeware Oxios CloseApps. It works excellently except when an app freezes and won't quit.

You can also hack the pagpool (the Wing by default uses 12MB of RAM for kernel tasks, but it only really needs about 4MB) and give more RAM to apps. I haven't tried it yet (the potential to ruin your phone is high) but I see that there is a way to recover your phone now so I might look into it this week.
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jan 24 2008, 12:57 PM EST
I have the Wing and had all the same problems that you report. After intalling the PDAViet Touchflo rom all of the memory and slowness problems went away. Try some of the Roms available here. The Wing has good hardware but a really bad ROM build from T-mobile. Any ROM that sets a 6 MB page pool will free up tons of memory and speed the device up substanitally. (the default t-mobile ROM has a 12 MB page pool) If you're not up to reflashing your phone then there are tools that will modify the pagepool of your T-mo rom. Set it from 12 to 6 and a lot of the memory and speed problems should be rectified. 2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
pdl1

pdl1
Jan 26 2008, 10:07 PM EST
Where do you find a program that resets the Pagepool without reprogramming ROM? I have looked everywhere for one. Do you find this valuable?    
BlueAnt
BlueAnt
Jan 27 2008, 8:56 PM EST
Hello everyone!
This is my first post on this site. I started with the SDA, moved to the Dash (3 of them) and now the Wing. This is the best so far. I have noticed the same memory problems as the rest of you have been talking about. I have great news for all of you!!
I know the West Coast Product Rep for HTC and she confirmed that T-Mobile will be releasing a fix for the Wing on February 2nd, 2008!!!!!!!!!!! It was supposed to be released in December 2007, but they decided to add more to it, to fix more problems, including the known memory problems. I currently work for BlueAnt Wireless (Bluetooth Manufacturer), but I sold T-Mobile for over 10 years and know quite a bit about the HTC products. Please email me with any questions you might have, or any Bluetooth questions.
Thanks, Jack
www.myblueant.com
[email protected]
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Feb 1 2008, 12:28 PM EST
If you want to get off the official t-mobile rom you can greatly improve your experience. I run the PDA Viet touchflo rom on my wing and it has fixed all of my memory problems and added much functionality. There are quite a few cooked ROMs to choose from but they almost all improve on the t-mobile rom by fixing the pagepool that seems to be the source of the t-mobile Wing rom memory problems. search out XDA-Devleopers .com. Here's a link to some of the roms available for the Wing: http://htcwiki.com/thread/1135914/WM6+ROMS?t=anon Do you find this valuable?    
airik

airik
Feb 1 2008, 12:51 PM EST
Here's the link to the thread with the quick pagepool changer for the Wing.

http://www.modaco.com/content/HTC-Atlas-Atlas-MoDaCo-com/258600/Quick-Page-Pool-Size-Changer/
Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Feb 1 2008, 9:44 PM EST
for different software downloads try
handango.com
you have to pay but the prices range from $10 -$50. (not that bad)
Do you find this valuable?    
2 | Next

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)