• A Wetpaint Wiki
close
Welcome! Wikis are websites that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Connecting 8125 Wifi directly to my home 802.1 wireless router

Keyword tags: None
Watch
Become a member of the htc community.
Already a member? Sign in

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

Shelkenoff

Shelkenoff
Connecting 8125 Wifi directly to my home 802.1 wireless router
Nov 19 2006, 1:54 AM EST
My phone info
IPL 2.25
SPL 2.25
GSM 02.25.11
OS 2.25.11.1
To simplify things I set the router for an open network and disabled encryption. Operation was verified with 3 wireless PC connections in the home.
I haven't been able to connect my phone to my Netgear WGU624 firewall router but after failing it automatically connects to my neighbors( unsecured ) Linksys router. I verified this by surfing the web for 5 minutes! I am stunned that the phone would automatically make an unsecured connection to some randomly available network, exactly what does security mean here?
Has anyone else tried this? I was told by Cingular that I could do this but the menu navigation is confusing and the manual is uselees in this topic.
Quote and Reply Post a Reply 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
virkar

virkar
RE: Connecting 8125 Wifi directly to my home 802.1 wireless router
May 10 2007, 2:16 PM EDT
it's pretty simple. seems this post is old one... do mail me or pm me.. if you still have questions on this...
thanks... hope i can be of some help...
Quote and Reply Post a Reply 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
May 22 2007, 9:41 AM EDT
I am thinking about buying the 8125, and I would like to use it around the house to browse the internet and such, but not use Cingular's service (unless I have to while out of town). I am interested to know how I can set up the phone once I buy it to recognize my secure internet connection. Could you please share your thoughts on how to do it?
Thank you.
Quote and Reply Post a Reply Do you find this valuable?    
virkar

virkar
May 22 2007, 9:46 PM EDT
"I am thinking about buying the 8125, and I would like to use it around the house to browse the internet and such, but not use Cingular's service (unless I have to while out of town). I am interested to know how I can set up the phone once I buy it to recognize my secure internet connection. Could you please share your thoughts on how to do it?
Thank you. "
Its is not that difficult. I always prefer to use the manual configure to establish a connection to my wireless router. its the same as you would do it for a pc or laptop. simply give the ssid and password and the ppc will connect to the router.
another way is to click the settings tab (or button) and choose "network cards" from the menu. there u can see all the available connections. to connect to one, just click (or double click).
ps: one imp point here is to disable "restricted access list" if you have set up on the router. i had a restricted mac address enabled and couldnt connect the ppc to router. it took some time to find out that this setting was enabled. i tired to add the ppc to the allowed devices list, but couldnt. the ppc did not broadcast its mac. strange.. though... so i had it diabled and now all is fine.
when you use your own wireless internet service, you wont be charged for the cingular data services. however be adivced that there are some settings (pls refer the manual) to disable using cingular services. for the first month i had to bear the extra charge for using cingular services. the ppc automatically used data services when it lost the wireless connection. i had to call up cingular to have this disabled. another setting is to use sms to keep the connection enabled. disable that too.
hope this was helpful...
thanks.. do let me know if more details are needed.
cheers!
Quote and Reply Post a Reply Do you find this valuable?    
Navigation
Top Contributors