• A Wetpaint Site
close
Welcome! Wikis are websites that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Discussion: HTC S720 issue - Battery Life

Keyword tags: battery HTC S720
Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

The_Alex

The_Alex
HTC S720 issue - Battery Life
Mar 26 2008, 2:06 AM EDT
Posted this originally in the "Discussion Forum", but thought it'd be wise to post here as well...

Just recently I began using the HTC S270 (on Telus network in Canada) and I've noticed that the battery life is pretty poor, lasting only 8-10 hours without much use (maybe a couple short calls and some texting). I've noticed in this forum that one suspect is WM6 being a huge battery drain.

But I might have another idea as to why the battery drains fast, and I'm hoping I could get some solutions here. When I'm at work, I have the phone in it's case (the one it came with) in my pocket. The phone is locked, but even when it's locked, when a button is pressed, the screen appears. My thinking is that the face buttons are constantly being pushed while in my pocket and the screen keeps appearing hence the drain in battery (and potentially burning out the screen down the road!).

Aside from the obvious answer, "don't leave the phone in a place where the buttons are constantly being pushed such as my pocket", does anyone have any solutions to this? I figure if there was a way to lock the front face buttons so touching them does nothing until you slide the keypad out and unlock it from inside, but I haven't found a way to do this.

One quick other problem; on two occasions within 20 minutes of each other (and I've only owned the phone for a few days), the phone shut off completely when I closed the keypad after sending a text message. I had to open the back and take the battery out and back in again to turn the phone on again. Any one know why this might be and if this is a sign of a faulty battery/phone that could need replacing?

Sorry for the length of this, but thanks in advance to any and all suggestions.

- Alex
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
RE: HTC S720 issue - Battery Life
Apr 9 2008, 2:53 PM EDT
I had the same issue when I first got my phone. I found out that when you use an application, it CONTINUES to run in the background, and does not quit. So, if you use your camera, and then go back to the home screen, then use your e-mail, go back to the home screen, and use the PDF viewer, all these applications do not turn off, so they are sucking battery juice. You need to get in the mode of always going to your TASK MANAGER (in the Start menu), and shutting down those applications you don't need any more. You will find battery life improves. The other option is to try and find the Extended Battery Telus used to offer, but I have not found one yet. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Apr 9 2008, 3:18 PM EDT
Well, I did see the extended battery on telus website, so that is a $100 solution.

As for battery management, I have found turning off the light sensor and reducing the amount of time the backlight is on has greatly improved the length of time the phone retains battery life. And I agree with the above poster about shutting down programs, that will help as well.
Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Apr 10 2008, 12:11 PM EDT
The biggest battery drain with Windows Mobile phones is email. I've graduated through many windows devices from Windows CE to WM5 to WM6.

If you don't have any emails downloading, and don't use Bluetooth, your battery could last for days making only occasional calls. If you have emails notifying you regularly (every 5 mins), you'd be lucky to get through the day without having to charge the phone. It's the nature of these things, no matter which phone you have.

Also, It's a known issue that these S720's only meet the minimum requirements to run WM6. You can't get very many applications to run without closing programs periodically.
There's only so much they could cram in such a little shell.
illmatic89

illmatic89
Sunday, 10:51 AM EDT
Hey Alex,

The issue that your having with the phone shutting off after you slide the keyboard into its regular position is exactly the same problem I was having. I suggest you go a Telus store and get your phone swapped. My new one has been working fine so far, but I've only had it for a day.

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)