• A Wetpaint Site
close
Welcome! Wikis are websites that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Discussion: t-mobile Wing tweaks? contacts password and gps question, thanks

Keyword tags: HTC T-Mobile wing Wing Memory
Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

a8000

a8000
t-mobile Wing tweaks? contacts password and gps question, thanks
Dec 9 2007, 4:42 PM EST
good day, just got my Wing a couple days ago, my 1st question is does anyone have any free links online for ways to tweak my Wing?

second, i haven't been able to find a way to protect my contacts.........I mean i thought it would be a mandatory function on a phone of this price.....My girlfriend asked to see my phone because she thought it was cute compared to her regular $100 phone. next thing i know she asking about every female name in my contacts---the majority of the girls were co-workers, she actually called 1 of the girls it was my cousin............i'm no player but my contacts are PRIVATE and i don't want anybody getting a hold of family members numbers, etc... not to mention she also went through my email----i get spammed alot on yahoo, so going through my email u might get the wrong idea.......so basically i want to know is there a way either already on the phone or by download to give a password to access my contacts and messages (email and text). I don't want to type in my email password everytime i get an email, so i'm lookn for a quick 4 digit way or something. I mean that's crazy......I use to have a $100 audivox phone that allowed me a easy 4 digit way to protect my contacts, pictures, messages, etc...

Also what's the deal with GPS on the Wing? I mean is there a free product I can dl to use it? or do u have to have some expensive software or gps in your vehicle? any other suggestions, links and advice is appreciated!
i bought my wing used online for $220 the guy said he had it for 2 weeks. It appears to be in excellent condition but i will be very cautious b4 the wing i bought a brand new t mobile dash, after 2 weeks a small amount of water got in the phone and screwed the screen. I've had over 7 cell phones in 3 years and these t mobile phones (dash, wing) seem very sensitive. i had to power off the dash several times and las nite i had to power the wing off caz i couldn't text. thx
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
RE: t-mobile Wing tweaks? contacts password and gps question, thanks
Dec 10 2007, 1:27 PM EST
Of course, the Wing has a lock. Page 81 of the manual [Start > Settings > Personal tab > Lock] You can choose a 4 digit pin and set it for 0 or more minutes. There is also a program called Eye On Privacy in the software section of this website, it's $13 but it may save your relationship.
The Wing can't receive GPS signals. It must be connected to a GPS receiver (through Bluetooth) then it will display the resulting map.
I believe all cell phones are sensitive to water, but I would be very curious why someone would sell a Wing after 2 weeks and take a $200 loss.
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
a8000

a8000
Dec 10 2007, 4:50 PM EST
thx for your response, i'm still a little confused on this gps thing.....so when u say bluetooth r u referring to like a bluetooth headset or the bluetooth that many new cars have installed in the radio dash? so none of those gps programs like google maps and things will work with my wing?

the guy who sold me the wing was using some big phone, it looked very expensive, but i don't know it's name. he said something about he needed more functions for business purposes.

i notice the wing has a lock, but i'm talkn bout a phone that can lock personal applications like i may only want to lock my contacts and pics. If a co-worker or girlfriend ask to use my phone, i have to enter my password, it sort of defeats the purpose because once they get the phone they can do whatever because the whole phone has been unlocked, my old audiovox allowed me to lock my contacts, text messages, pictures, etc...The only things i want to lock is my contacts and messages, it's bad enough my little cousin was playing with my phone she just touched the screen and some spam email about some sex enhancement popped up.
Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Feb 18 2008, 1:59 PM EST
google maps is supported on the tmobile wing. just go in a download it. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Feb 19 2008, 2:04 AM EST
get yahoo go 2.0.... or google maps, or use the livesearch function....all fun and handy mapping functions with driving direction support as well. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Friday, 10:30 PM EDT
Yo0u SHo0uLD u$E THe LiVE$EarcH FuNcTio0n Do you find this valuable?    
escapism2to1
escapism2to1
Yesterday, 2:25 AM EDT
"thx for your response, i'm still a little confused on this gps thing.....so when u say bluetooth r u referring to like a bluetooth headset or the bluetooth that many new cars have installed in the radio dash? so none of those gps programs like google maps and things will work with my wing?

the guy who sold me the wing was using some big phone, it looked very expensive, but i don't know it's name. he said something about he needed more functions for business purposes.

i notice the wing has a lock, but i'm talkn bout a phone that can lock personal applications like i may only want to lock my contacts and pics. If a co-worker or girlfriend ask to use my phone, i have to enter my password, it sort of defeats the purpose because once they get the phone they can do whatever because the whole phone has been unlocked, my old audiovox allowed me to lock my contacts, text messages, pictures, etc...The only things i want to lock is my contacts and messages, it's bad enough my little cousin was playing with my phone she just touched the screen and some spam email about some sex enhancement popped up."
I understand exactly what you're talking about - I would like to know how to lock individual items on my phone such as the pictures, contacts and especially text messages. We all know that the phone supports a 4-digit pin to lock and unlock the entire phone itself. But again, as a8000 explained, once you unlock your phone and hand it over to someone for whatever reason, they have free access to everything on your phone. My girlfriend just bought the new Samsung Katalyst, a $79 regular cell phone, and she has the capability of locking certain photos or all of them, certain contacts or all of them, certain text messages or all of them, or just lock the whole phone in general. You would think that as much money as we pay for these "Smart Phones/PPCs" someone would've been SMART enough to know that we may have sensitive information on them that we would like to keep confidential or private.

Please, if there is anyone out there that knows of a program to download or a registry edit or a tweak of some sort to lock individual applications on my HTC Wing, I would greatly appreciate it if you shared.

Thank you so much!
escapism
escapism2to1
escapism2to1
Yesterday, 2:37 AM EDT
Shucks...look at what I found! Now I can rest at night knowing my private texts, contacts and images are safe...even when my phone is unlocked! :.)

http://www.pocketpccentral.net/software/security.htm

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)