• A Wetpaint Wiki
close
Welcome! Wikis are websites that everyone can build together. It's easy!

disable GPRS internet connection

Keyword tags: None
Watch
Become a member of the HTC community.
Already a member? Sign in

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

Anonymous
disable GPRS internet connection
Aug 11 2006, 3:46 PM EDT
How do i disable device from connecting to internet via Cingular network. I can't afford their charges. Please help! Quote and Reply Post a Reply 12  out of 13 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
RE: disable GPRS internet connection
Aug 13 2006, 9:33 PM EDT
Go to: Start -> Settings -> Connections -> Advanced -> Select Networks

From there change the first dropbox to "My Work Network". After that you will only be able to connect by WiFi.

--
Quote and Reply Post a Reply 9  out of 10 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Sep 3 2006, 10:48 AM EDT
Cingular does have an unlimited data plan for around $35 Quote and Reply Post a Reply Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Sep 8 2006, 11:34 AM EDT
call in and have them totally remove internet access. Quote and Reply Post a Reply Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Sep 30 2006, 5:40 AM EDT
$35 is too much, they have an unlimited plan for smartphones for 19.99, thats what im on. Quote and Reply Post a Reply 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Oct 4 2006, 12:17 PM EDT
"$35 is too much, they have an unlimited plan for smartphones for 19.99, thats what im on."
i thought the 19.99 plan is only for email. are you sure it covers browsing the internet? Quote and Reply Post a Reply 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Oct 24 2006, 9:37 AM EDT
"How do i disable device from connecting to internet via Cingular network. I can't afford their charges. Please help!"
You can set up a modem connection, leave server name and user name and password etc. blank, and specify addresses of 0.0.0.0 for your static IP and DNS servers. Then it will fail trying to connect to the GRPS network. More specifically....Start | Settings | Connections tab | Connections icon. If you have Manage Existing Connections, choose it, then pick New. If you don't have that choice, pick Add a New Modem Connection. Either way you should end up on a screen with a place for a name and a box to choose a modem. Pick some name for it like "no GPRS", and pick "Cellular Line (GPRS)" in the pull down for modem. Click Next. Leave Access point name blank. Click Next. Leave user name, password, and domain blank. Click Advanced. Choose Use specific IP address and enter 0.0.0.0 if it doesn't populate that way automatically. Switch to the Servers tab, pick use specific server address and make sure you have all 0.0.0.0 in there too. Click OK to get back to user name, password, domain screen. Click Finish. On the screen with the list of your connections, make sure the radio button next to the connection you just made is filled in. No more GPRS connection for you :) Quote and Reply Post a Reply 7  out of 7 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Oct 26 2006, 11:37 AM EDT
"How do i disable device from connecting to internet via Cingular network. I can't afford their charges. Please help!"
Is there a way to connect to the internet with out having a data package. Cingular said I had to have the package to use the internet, but I would like to be able to use the phone like my laptop on the wifi. thanks for your help. Quote and Reply Post a Reply Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Oct 26 2006, 12:42 PM EDT
"Is there a way to connect to the internet with out having a data package. Cingular said I had to have the package to use the internet, but I would like to be able to use the phone like my laptop on the wifi. thanks for your help."
You do not need a data package to connect to a WiFi network, and you can use that network to access the internet (if it can reach it of course.) Follow the instructions in the previous post to disable your GPRS to prevent unwanted connections to their network (i.e. unwanted charges). There are other posts which will help you set up WiFi appropriately if you need help with that. Quote and Reply Post a Reply Do you find this valuable?    
hankiam

hankiam
Apr 1 2007, 8:35 AM EDT
" There are other posts which will help you set up WiFi appropriately if you need help with that."
Where are those other posts? The wi-fi on my 8125 is flaky at best, and it's the main feature that attracted me to this phone as opposed to something far less expensive. Quote and Reply Post a Reply Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Jun 15 2007, 2:23 PM EDT
Can you identify where the posts are? Quote and Reply Post a Reply 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jun 15 2007, 3:16 PM EDT
Can you identify where the posts are? Quote and Reply Post a Reply 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Aug 14 2007, 12:48 AM EDT
Hello there, I also had this problem it seems the cell companies disabled the "disable data" button on the comm manager, and when you change any of these settings like ip 0.0.0.0 or change which profiles automatically connnect or even deleting the profile the phone still automatically reconfigures the device.

*** What worked for me ***

I relentlessly changed everything IP, proxy, deleted profile and even though I can't see where or what I did to cause this be eventually I made it so when it dials it now dials +0 #777 (bell) instead of just #777, I think I glitched it to death :D; unforchantly I haven't found a way to revert. (I also changed my connect to X1 only, hyred only and evdo only). Maybe you can have the same luck as I did.
Quote and Reply Post a Reply Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
*** Solotion To Disable Data On Htc 6800 Mogul ***
Aug 14 2007, 2:34 AM EDT
From NMAK (http://www.howardforums.com/archive/topic/1216692-1.html)

It was changing the Dialing Rules which gave it a 1 at the start before #777 (which causes it to fail to connect). I turned dialing options off but the 1 still remained on the CDMA profile and at this point the thing no longer automatically reconfigures itself.

At this point you go ALRIGHT WHOOPY NO MORE insane $5000 per GB access,

but then you may also be wondering how to restore it again this took a while for me to figure out but I can save you some time,

1) Settings>Connections Tab>Connections Icon>Advanced>Select Networks>Highlight CDMA (or whatever it's/was connecting to)>Edit>General> Deleted Settings.

2) Don't Use Dialing Rules anymore
3) Then make a new connection where you went to delete CDMA. Call it, Disable Connection and leave information blank.
4) Create another new connection call it Thanks Nick and enter #777 (for bell)
5) Your done, your free to switch from 'Disable Connection' or 'Thanks Nick' to disable and enable your connection. And now with Disable on rather then saying "Failed to Connect" you get a pleasant Cannot connect with current connection settings tap to change; which is nice because it's actually what needs to be changed to work.

***Still having troble??? Try using airplane mode in comm manager to stop it from relentlessly reconnecting.

Anonymous
Jan 3 2008, 9:26 PM EST
thank you very much for this. Very informative and solved my connection problem.

Anonymous
Jan 25 2008, 8:42 AM EST
Changing the first dropbox to "My Work Network" did not work for me. GPRS is still enabled, and it consumes the battery.. I wonder why is there no disable checkbox for GPRS. Is there another way of disabling GPRS? while keeping things simple.. thanks Quote and Reply Post a Reply Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Feb 19 2008, 10:19 PM EST
I used the NOdata and it works great

see below:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=251819
Top Contributors