• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: Beaming ???

Watch
2  | Next
dew17810

dew17810
Beaming ???
Nov 3 2007, 2:52 AM EDT
Am I missing something here? The manual saying beaming. The help screens say beaming. And there is even a check box to enable or disable incoming beams. I don't see an IR port and when I try to search for my new Tilt phone, my old IR capable PDA doesn't find the Tilt phone. When HTC sayes "beaming" do they really mean Bluetooth? Thanks, Dew 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
RE: Beaming ???
Nov 3 2007, 9:00 AM EDT
I just purchased the tilt too, the AT&T website shows it supports IrDA, but it doesn't according to sites elsewhere...even though you can enable the function in the settings...pretty confusing. I too am trying to IR transfer old files from my PDA...not quite sure what to do at this point. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
Nov 3 2007, 2:40 PM EDT
The Tilt does not include Infrared beaming at all. The AT&T website is incorrect also. The beaming application is just inherent in the Windows Mobile operating system. It's up to the device manufacturers to decide whether or not they want to include Infrared beaming. As far as transfering files from your old PDA, why don't you just sync up your old PDA first and save the files onto your desktop. Then sync the Tilt up to the same desktop and just transfer the files over. It'll be faster and easier that way than going through the Infrared port. 4  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Nov 3 2007, 4:16 PM EDT
After doing some more research, I have to agree the Tilt does "NOT" have any IR capabilities. The AT&T website and the store rep who asurred me it had IR, before I bought it, were both wrong. Transfering the data is easy enough through the data cable and is no problem at all. I'm in real estate and every lock box in the country uses IR. There's the problem. 2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
browntannis
browntannis
Nov 3 2007, 5:40 PM EDT
"Am I missing something here? The manual saying beaming. The help screens say beaming. And there is even a check box to enable or disable incoming beams. I don't see an IR port and when I try to search for my new Tilt phone, my old IR capable PDA doesn't find the Tilt phone. When HTC sayes "beaming" do they really mean Bluetooth? Thanks, Dew"
The AT&T Tilt supports Beaming via Bluetooth. It can be found under Start>Settings>Connections Tab>Beam. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Nov 3 2007, 6:22 PM EDT
Bluetooth isn't beaming. Bluetooth is bluetooth and not what the rest of the consumer world refers to as beaming. Beaming is infared. Using the term beaming in place of bluetooth is out and out misleading to people buying this phone. I signed a two year contract and paid a fair sum for this phone and feel I've been lied to. Not having IR may not be a big deal to most people, but in the real estate business it's a requirement. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
Nov 3 2007, 8:15 PM EDT
"Bluetooth isn't beaming. Bluetooth is bluetooth and not what the rest of the consumer world refers to as beaming. Beaming is infared. Using the term beaming in place of bluetooth is out and out misleading to people buying this phone. I signed a two year contract and paid a fair sum for this phone and feel I've been lied to. Not having IR may not be a big deal to most people, but in the real estate business it's a requirement."
Now I agree that AT&T definitely got it wrong when they advertised to you that IrDA was on the phone, but I believe you have 30 days to return the phone if you don't like it and also definitely let AT&T know that they have their information totally incorrect. Also, I would probably get a different phone if IrDA is that important to you. I believe that the Treo 750 still has the IR port on it.

I do admit that at times I miss the IR port because it was a nice to have, but for me personally, it was not something I used often.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
dew17810

dew17810
Nov 4 2007, 2:07 AM EST
I appreciate the feedback and yes the phone is going back to AT&T. My wife has has the Treo 750 and was willing to trade me, but the 750 has Edge but not Wi-Fi. I wanted IR, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth in a smartphone. I thought the Tilt had it all and I've just got to find a phone that has all the features. Thanks, Dew 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Nov 27 2007, 12:34 AM EST
"Bluetooth isn't beaming. Bluetooth is bluetooth and not what the rest of the consumer world refers to as beaming. Beaming is infared. Using the term beaming in place of bluetooth is out and out misleading to people buying this phone. I signed a two year contract and paid a fair sum for this phone and feel I've been lied to. Not having IR may not be a big deal to most people, but in the real estate business it's a requirement."
Sorry, but bluetooth is beaming, when used in the correct manner. I beam bluetooth files all the time. They are not using the term "beaming" in place of bluetooth either. It is labeled bluetooth under comm manager and has "bluetooth file explorer", as well as bluetooth pairing. Beaming is just a feature that is possible with bluetooth, and is intended to replace iRDA, since it is a legacy technology in mobile devices. 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Nov 27 2007, 5:18 AM EST
didn,t know that it didn't have ir capability
guess i better stick with my 8525

0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jan 17 2008, 10:27 PM EST
there is beaming the port is just to the right of the usb and very tiny about 1/10 th round works well with equipment made the same year or newer but not anything older. 0  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jan 24 2008, 3:21 PM EST
HOW DO YOU BEAM MUSIC FROM HTC MOGUL TO ANOTHER PHONE 0  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Mar 11 2008, 12:52 AM EDT
Can anyone explain how to set up a Tilt to Tilt beam? Two tilts, blue tooth turned on, check boxes for receive checked on both. One phone I open up the pictures and videos hold down select beam and its searching. This phone makes me feel dumb. 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Mar 11 2008, 1:03 AM EDT
Beaming is blue tooth only.

beaming from the user manual! yay.
settings > connections (tab)
open up your beaming check the "Receive all incoming beams."
open bluetooth, select the mode tab check "Turn on Bluetooth" and "Make this device visible to other devices"
open wireless manager, and click the second icon in the left hand column (it the blue tooth icon, but looks like an alien from the atari game invaders)
for images.. open up programs> pictures & videos. Hover over the item you wish to send. till the circle dots go around it and beam it.
Each phone asked if it should connect to the other device. I clicked yes and put in a password of 0000 (seems like blue tooths like that password)
Ignore the "failed to connect messages" it just means your too slow typing in 0000.

File should now be beamed to the my documents folder on the other phone.
6  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Apr 1 2008, 12:41 PM EDT
this must assume other device is of same platform. i am not able to beam to Palm OS on multiple devises but i did get someones wm5 device to show-up on device list. 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Apr 1 2008, 1:30 PM EDT
i dont see an IR port on this device...also doesn't have a f**cking headphone jack! 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
Apr 1 2008, 3:45 PM EDT
"i dont see an IR port on this device...also doesn't have a f**cking headphone jack!"
The Tilt does not have an IR port and almost all HTC devices don't have a standard 3.5mm headphone jack. I would love it if they did. I went the BT headphone route instead. 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Apr 10 2008, 9:32 AM EDT
"Beaming is blue tooth only.

beaming from the user manual! yay.
settings > connections (tab)
open up your beaming check the "Receive all incoming beams."
open bluetooth, select the mode tab check "Turn on Bluetooth" and "Make this device visible to other devices"
open wireless manager, and click the second icon in the left hand column (it the blue tooth icon, but looks like an alien from the atari game invaders)
for images.. open up programs> pictures & videos. Hover over the item you wish to send. till the circle dots go around it and beam it.
Each phone asked if it should connect to the other device. I clicked yes and put in a password of 0000 (seems like blue tooths like that password)
Ignore the "failed to connect messages" it just means your too slow typing in 0000.

File should now be beamed to the my documents folder on the other phone.
"
This was extremely helpful. When I read all of the comments before this I was getting frustrated because it didn't have the "beaming" capabilities, But it works through bluetooth...I just tried it! Thank you so much for your post. It saved me a lot of hassle! :) 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Apr 25 2008, 2:41 PM EDT
"there is beaming the port is just to the right of the usb and very tiny about 1/10 th round works well with equipment made the same year or newer but not anything older."
That's the soft reboot button, not an IR port, buddy... 0  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
sd.madhi

sd.madhi
May 6 2008, 7:34 PM EDT
"Hi, I recenty bought a new TILT and it works fine....I havnt faced any problems so far... :-)
I would like to know on how to beam mutiple files at one shot...
Thanks,
Madhi"
Hi, I recenty bought a new TILT and it works fine....I havnt faced any problems so far... :-)
I would like to know on how to beam mutiple files at one shot...
Thanks,
Madhi
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
2  | Next

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)
Site pages
Top Contributors