• A Wetpaint Wiki
close
Welcome! Wikis are websites that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Data Charges

Keyword tags: None
Watch
Become a member of the htc community.
Already a member? Sign in

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

Anonymous
Data Charges
Jul 19 2007, 11:40 AM EDT
Can anyone explain why my phone seems to download data packets (little ones, I'll admit) on its own?

I've searched the Sprint PCS website for an overview on interacting with the internet with no luck. I may be rare, but I want to use this phone with Wi-fi and my own home and my work networks and not have to pay the 25 a month for the data package. I was told that after one month I can cancel the data plan.

The phone seems to automatically connect when it wants. For ex., I changed something on the Sprint PCS website, it said to complete it I had to respond to a text message it sent my phone - I don't want the phone to receive text messages automatically.

any guidance to a place where connection/communication w/computers and the internet would be welcome!

(PS - Although I've built 4 compters myself, and know my way around a motherboard, this is my first smartphone. I am not well-versed with network issues as can probably be seen by this email.)

GW
Quote and Reply Post a Reply 5  out of 7 found this valuable. Do you?    
SilverSurferDude
SilverSurferDude
RE: Data Charges
Sep 28 2007, 1:56 AM EDT
Do you enable the MSN messenger, set outlook to periodically check your mailbox, browsing a page that periodically refresh, or any other apps that might connect to network (like googlemaps, etc)? Quote and Reply Post a Reply Do you find this valuable?    
muzzin

muzzin
Trying to disable Data services to prevent Data Charges
Oct 15 2007, 1:42 PM EDT
I am trying to use Wi-fi only like GW above. I recent;y replied to another forum with the Quote below. If haven't been able to succesfully disable the connection to SPrint's ntwrk reliably yet however the text below might help some of you trying to do the same thing.

"How about getting phones with features/services (and limitations) we want. I just purchased an HTC Mogul. My intent was to not use the PCS network but use Wi-Fi only for data. Per Sprint's admission you can shut off data access in a PLAIN phone's settings but there is no way to shut it off on the PDA......NONE. Oh yeah you might be able to temporarily trick it, but for me this lasted about 10 minutes. Then the PDA actually reset the settings for the Sprint Network after I had just deleted them. Then I changed the dialing rules (per Sprint's instructions) to add a '1' to all phone numbers to fool the device to dial the wrong number. That didn't work well and I kept getting messages that my phone connection was off.

Then I deleted the entire Sprint Network settings from the configuration screen. Guess what.......It came right back. So after getting charged $11 for less than a week of unintended data usage with more to come, I have very little sympathy for the Wireless Ho's.

BTW I have more than 20 years of computing experience and if I can't disable it, and my friend the computer analyst can't figure out - Joe user is going to get hosed.

I did find out today that Sprint can internally set wireless accounts to NO-IP or BASEIP which shuts off all data on the phone (apparently with the exception of text messaging.)

If anyone knows how to cut the legs off the phone's data dialing I'd sure appreciate a heads up.

I will be looking for registry entries that can decapitate the data functions."

-Hed

Quote and Reply Post a Reply 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
RE: Trying to disable Data services to prevent Data Charges
Oct 15 2007, 5:41 PM EDT
Thank God someone brought that up. I got charged $40.00 dollars for unintended data usage. If anyone has any idea how to disable it, I would love to hear it. This is my third PPC, and I was unable to cut it off, I did all the things that muzzin did, with no luck. Quote and Reply Post a Reply Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Oct 16 2007, 12:22 AM EDT
Anon,
While I was at the Sprint office I added a dummy number to dial in the list after Sprint PCS and Phone as Modem settings. I chose that bogus one as the configuration to dial instead of the other two since I couldn't get rid of the others. Now It seems to bring up a password entry screen before trying to dial out. I just close that windows and go on doing what I wanted. It's inconvenient but thus far it seems ot have prevented the evil white arrows on the signal strength display. And it even seems to be preventing the dreaded gray arrows that precede the money sucking white arrows.

I added the following string for a phone number 1 425 7777777 . The 425 was the default. area code. I labeled the setting 'tttt' becasue I was lazy and pissed off. :-)

If I get time I'll try to improve on this .....or at least determine if that was the real stopper and not something else I did in my frustration.

AND NOW....Sprint is inheriting the much coveted "BITCHES" title from my former carrier Cingular and from Charter Communication. Sprint Earns the distinction for their complicit role in the saga I like to call "which Carrier will be first to meet the lowest common denominator for poor customer designs and service". Congrats Sprint, It took you 13 days compared to 1 day for Cingular and 3 days for Charter.
Quote and Reply Post a Reply Do you find this valuable?    
muzzin

muzzin
Oct 16 2007, 2:29 AM EDT
Here's one answer that should help everyone. http://www.modaco.com/FREE-Utility-t246171.html

It's a very cool website for free and useful Pocket PC/WM6 devices and the like.

I've tried the program and as I suspected I've somhow disabled the PCS data streams on my Mogul.

Please let me know if this solves your data issues.

Gook Luck.

-Hed

Anonymous
Oct 23 2007, 10:23 AM EDT
This solved it on my Mogul as well. If you get a WM6 display warning, ignore it. Awesome utility!! Quote and Reply Post a Reply 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
muzzin

muzzin
Oct 23 2007, 11:18 AM EDT
"This solved it on my Mogul as well. If you get a WM6 display warning, ignore it. Awesome utility!!"
I'm very glad it works for you too. I'll try to continue to add value to the forum by finding programs this useful.

For me the program was mandatory (self imposed). The alternative was returning the device and canceling my new service because I simply won't tolerate the blatant money grab by cell phone companies.

Hopefully others find this program useful too.

-Hedge
Navigation
Top Contributors