• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: Owners of HTC phones with the WHite screen of death UNITE!!!!!

Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

aucdiver

aucdiver
Owners of HTC phones with the WHite screen of death UNITE!!!!!
Sep 22 2008, 11:42 AM EDT
I have had the white screen issue a year and a half after buying the phone, so, naturally, it's out of warranty. ($28 to look at it, and $161 to over $300 to fix the problem). I have a Safeware (www.safeware.com) cellphone warranty, but they don't cover manufacture defects. This is DEFINITELY a manufacture defect - just look at all of the users on this website mentioning it. We need to come together as a group and get HTC to fix this problem, not only with our phones, but also with future HTC phones. I love my phone when it works, but I rely on information on my phone in a pinch and cannot afford to waste time trying to get my screen back when it goes white. I have the 8525 and want to upgrade to the tilt or the Fuze when AT&T gets it (In November, I have found on some sites), but I see the same thing happening with the tilt, so I don't expect the Fuze to be any different. If HTC can't help us then perhaps the Iphone should get our business, instead? Are there any lawyers with this same problem who would like to help us in this battle? 5  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    
browntannis
browntannis
RE: Owners of HTC phones with the WHite screen of death UNITE!!!!!
Sep 23 2008, 1:38 PM EDT
"I have had the white screen issue a year and a half after buying the phone, so, naturally, it's out of warranty. ($28 to look at it, and $161 to over $300 to fix the problem). I have a Safeware (www.safeware.com) cellphone warranty, but they don't cover manufacture defects. This is DEFINITELY a manufacture defect - just look at all of the users on this website mentioning it. We need to come together as a group and get HTC to fix this problem, not only with our phones, but also with future HTC phones. I love my phone when it works, but I rely on information on my phone in a pinch and cannot afford to waste time trying to get my screen back when it goes white. I have the 8525 and want to upgrade to the tilt or the Fuze when AT&T gets it (In November, I have found on some sites), but I see the same thing happening with the tilt, so I don't expect the Fuze to be any different. If HTC can't help us then perhaps the Iphone should get our business, instead? Are there any lawyers with this same problem who would like to help us in this battle?"
Yeah like the iPhone doesnt have its own issues...
As for the white screen, there are a number of factors that can cause this, anything from 3rd party appliccations, registry hacks etc all the way to the device being dropped jarring the cable loose inside the device.Isnt Safeware and insurance company (not warranty)? I dont see why this wouldnt be covered...back in the day when AT&T used Lockline for insurance, I didnt have issues getting my device replaced for any reason...it's insurance and I paid for it...might want to check into that a little more.
Do you find this valuable?    
aucdiver

aucdiver
Sep 23 2008, 3:09 PM EDT
Hey, Mod,
I sent in my 8525 to the company that Safeware uses (thelaptopguys), but they sent it back saying that the problem was a manufacture defect and refused to look at it. Safeware says they cover theft, accidental damage, including water damage. They don't mention manufacture defects. Perhaps, if they took the time to look at it, they would be able to tell if the data cable came loose, so, in that respect, you are correct to say that I should check into that more.

Regarding the white screen issue, I would have to agree with another recent contributor that thinks it occurs when the screen overheats. He put HIS cell in the refrigerator for a few mins and it worked fine afterward. I did the same thing with the same success, and have also noticed that it occurs with much less frequency when I keep the keyboard open. Of course, I can't prove that the refrigerator is what temporarily fixed it. I have not dropped it, and I have done a hard reset, with the same symptoms afterward. It does not occur with repeatedly opening and closing the keyboard, either. I have just upgraded to the new WM6 professional, and still get the WS every once in a while. I really think it's the data cable at issue, but more precisely, I would bet that it is overheating (wait, overheating sounds more like a motherboard issue). Oh, well, I haven't opened it up, myself, but I may send it in to HTC and have them triage it for me. I can follow simple instructions to replace the data cable (as found on an an XDA developer site), but I wouldn't know if the 2nd hand cable has the same problem, or worse, if it is even the issue! Besides, for $28, they may just fix a loose connection in the process.

Do you not agree that this issue is occurring just a bit too frequently among owners of certain HTC devices, and that it warrants corrective action? After all, car and toy manufacturers have recalls to correct problems, why not HTC?
sam13869

sam13869
Sep 25 2008, 7:12 PM EDT
Guy; HTC offers One year Factory Global warrenty. If you bough your phone within the time line call this number in Houston TX. That is where HTC Repair shop locates HTC 1-866-449-8358 or (713) 219-6157
http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=htc+houston&fb=1&cid=718051552425244030&li=lmd&z=14&t=m
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Oct 16 2008, 4:39 PM EDT
I purchased by AT&T Tilt from an AT&T store. I called AT&T and they sent me a phone, overnight no less, to my house. All I had to do was put my phone's card, memory card, battery and back case on the new phone. I was back in busines. Dropped the old phone in to the envolope they provided, put it in the box they provided, taped the box shut with the tape they provided, put the return mailing label on the box (yes, which they provided). No cost to me. Do you find this valuable?    
Sgarrela

Sgarrela
Oct 19 2008, 7:49 PM EDT
I had an 8525 that went into the white screen mode. HTC said it was most likely a hardware problem with the ribbon connector between the main circuit board and the video screen. They said contact AT&T. AT&T said the phone was more than one year old, so they wouldn't touch it, even though this is a well demonstrated hardware problem. The strange thing is that I did a hard reset and the phone came back up with no screen problems. The first keystroke on the keyboard sent it back into the white zone. I tried it several times hitting different keys each time - just in case I was jangling the ribbon connector under the keyboard - with the same white screen results. It makes me wonder if this isn't an OS problem? I retired the phone and bought a Tilt. Since I've solved the freezing problem, the Tilt has been the best phone I've ever had. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Oct 20 2008, 12:18 PM EDT
"I had an 8525 that went into the white screen mode. HTC said it was most likely a hardware problem with the ribbon connector between the main circuit board and the video screen. They said contact AT&T. AT&T said the phone was more than one year old, so they wouldn't touch it, even though this is a well demonstrated hardware problem. The strange thing is that I did a hard reset and the phone came back up with no screen problems. The first keystroke on the keyboard sent it back into the white zone. I tried it several times hitting different keys each time - just in case I was jangling the ribbon connector under the keyboard - with the same white screen results. It makes me wonder if this isn't an OS problem? I retired the phone and bought a Tilt. Since I've solved the freezing problem, the Tilt has been the best phone I've ever had."
check with AT&T rto see if they have update software for your phone, then downloaded and esee if that solve your problem. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Oct 20 2008, 9:21 PM EDT
I've upgraded the ROM to WM6 professional, with no change in the frequency of the lovely white screen. It seems to occur with increasing frequency as the phone is exposed to warmer temperatures. Since I am not the only phone owner with the white screen, (It occurs with the Tilt, too!) it seems to me that HTC should recall the phones with the problem and fix it, without charging the customer any more than shipping fees. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Oct 23 2008, 11:02 AM EDT
my phone was working great,,,i only have the white screen when my phone isnt over 40% charged and i turn it off but now my phone doenst wanna charge so wat am i to do???? please help my Do you find this valuable?    
aucdiver

aucdiver
Oct 23 2008, 2:58 PM EDT
I saw the 8525 battery on Yahoo Shopping for $20. Also, try pluggin the phone into another outlet or try USB to the computer to see if it charges then. Do you find this valuable?    
paulster

paulster
Nov 5 2008, 1:50 PM EST
I am having a similar problem with my HTC 8925 Tilt. It seems that everyone mentioning this here has the screen completely white, is this correct? Are you able to see anything at all? On mine, the screen is very faded/white, but I can still see some things like the start menu, but some of the screen is so faded that I cannot see what is there. Is this the same problem? if not, has anyone else experienced this? I am considering replacing the LCD if that might be the problem. I also took apart the tilt already and didn't find any cable to be loose...exactly which cable is supposedly loose to cause this issue? is it the wide flex cable where it connects to the motherboard or where it connects to the screen? any help is appreicated.
-Paul
aucdiver

aucdiver
Nov 5 2008, 2:30 PM EST
Check out XDA developers website. http://forum.xda-developers.com/ These are the HTC techies that have in-depth answers and explanations to fix the LCD flex cable, if that's your problem. I personally don't know the answer to your issue.
Good luck.
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Nov 10 2008, 2:46 PM EST
I just started to have this issue this week with my 8525. I can tell you mine is heat related. Mine will display fine, and then start to fade to white when I have the screen on. It will go to white fast if I start to selecting screen objects that makes the video process, which causes it to generate heat faster due to the changing screen info.

If I have the keyboard open and laying on the desk, it happens after about 30 seconds. If I lay it on the AC vent it let it get good and cold, and then use it above the AC vent, it tends not to have the issue.

When I don't have it on the AC vent, and the screen goes to white, if I lay in on the AC vent, the screen will stay white until I turn the screen off and then back on, which I will then get good video again.

So mine is not a cable issue as I can slide the screen back and forth all day long and I don't see this issue until it gets too warm.

Anonymous
Nov 10 2008, 3:07 PM EST
I have seen a lot of people mentioning a similar problem, but it seems that mine has nothing to do with heat as I tried everything from putting it in the freezer for a few minutes and trying it, and whether it is open or closed, seems to have no effect. My screen went white, and has never gone back, regardless of whether I leave the phone off to cool down for a while or not. I sent mine to Mobile Device Repair in hopes that it is the LCD that is malfunctioning or maybe they can find something else wrong with it.... Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Nov 11 2008, 3:57 AM EST
I have read all of the comments on the WS screen problems,being a techie for a number of years this is how I see it if you slide it open and it goes white it is the ribbon,if it gets too hot the lcd display cooks and Has to cool. with mine when I have the screen bright it seem to get too hot and goes white. what I did is I got a old power supply 3 to 12 volts d/c output and wired a small fan from a computer leave the 8525 open with the fan blowing under it so to keep it cool and also I keep the display as dim as I can It has never happened again...of about two months now..a lot to go through but I don't want to but a new on yet there are so man new units on the drawing board to be out ver soon....
check out PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of PDA, PDA Phone, PNA & Smartphone Specifications
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Nov 24 2008, 1:09 PM EST
Its been 1.3 years since i got this HTC 8525. It had been working without issues till now until the last weekend when i saw the ldc fading to a white blunt screen. I dont think it is under warranty anymore and even if it was, i still cant get it fixed as i am in India and i got this PDA from Washington. Right now the screen stays white and i cant do shit with it. I cant use the touchscreen as it becomes unresponsive and rebooting does not help either. I tried loads of stuff like sticking papers between the battery and the cover inorder to tighten the battery, etc - does not help. Any clues as to what i should do now? Your help is really appreciated Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Nov 26 2008, 12:52 PM EST
Well it turns out that while mine appeared to be thermal related, in the end it got worse and I was able to cause it at will by pressing on the D-Pad, and then able to get it to recover by sliding out the keyboard and pressing on the back side of the D-Pad. I finally broke down and dis-assy the phone, reseated the D-Pad cable and added foam between it and the plastic backing. I no longer have any problems. Yeah! 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Dec 10 2008, 10:40 PM EST
"Well it turns out that while mine appeared to be thermal related, in the end it got worse and I was able to cause it at will by pressing on the D-Pad, and then able to get it to recover by sliding out the keyboard and pressing on the back side of the D-Pad. I finally broke down and dis-assy the phone, reseated the D-Pad cable and added foam between it and the plastic backing. I no longer have any problems. Yeah!"
I did that too (foam inside the phone) it worked for a while but now the White Screen issue has resurfaced. If I cool the phone it works for a while longer.
Is there any "for sure fix"? Maybe a new ribbon cable or screen?
HTC will not stand up and admit the problem or tell the truth as to what the fix could be.
Any ideas?

Anonymous
Dec 11 2008, 12:41 AM EST
try mobiledevicerepair, it is the cheapest screen repair you can find and it is by far the best in terms of customer satisfaction. He will respond within a day for any emails and have your fixed phone back to you within a few business days Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Monday, 10:08 PM EST
I am having the same issue except along with my "white screen of death" it takes atleast 15 minutes to open any application such as calendar,contacts and messaging. I've tried everything from soft reseting to taking the battery,memory card, and SIM card out. Nothing is working. If you find any solution to your problem or mine can you please let me know. Do you find this valuable?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)
Site pages
Top Contributors