• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: HTC Touch Pro (Sprint) Camera Slow Respone TimeThis is a featured thread

2  | Next
AdamTxPdx
AdamTxPdx
HTC Touch Pro (Sprint) Camera Slow Respone Time
Nov 20 2008, 5:00 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 20 2008, 5:00 PM EST
Has any noticed the horribly slow response time on the camera? Focusing on a subject takes forever, and if that subject is human, they start to complain and forget about capturing animals and anything that requires speed. Also, even with the flash on, if subject don't stand absolutely still the image comes out blurry. Additionally, the video camera is terrible. The video is jerky and pixilated. Has anyone else experienced these problems? If so, have you found a solution or do I just need accept the fact that the camera function is horrible.
6  out of 7 found this valuable. Do you?    
fishward

fishward
1. RE: HTC Touch Pro (Sprint) Camera Slow Respone Time
Nov 23 2008, 4:39 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 23 2008, 4:39 AM EST
i experienced the same thing and it keeps going bsck to camera or even video if u keep trying to take a picture
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
crow11ad
crow11ad
2. RE: HTC Touch Pro (Sprint) Camera Slow Respone Time
Nov 23 2008, 10:12 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 23 2008, 10:12 AM EST
"Has any noticed the horribly slow response time on the camera? Focusing on a subject takes forever, and if that subject is human, they start to complain and forget about capturing animals and anything that requires speed. Also, even with the flash on, if subject don't stand absolutely still the image comes out blurry. Additionally, the video camera is terrible. The video is jerky and pixilated. Has anyone else experienced these problems? If so, have you found a solution or do I just need accept the fact that the camera function is horrible.
"
I believe it has to do something with the auto focus...
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
denco7
denco7
3. RE: HTC Touch Pro (Sprint) Camera Slow Respone Time
Nov 23 2008, 11:54 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 23 2008, 11:54 AM EST
"Has any noticed the horribly slow response time on the camera? Focusing on a subject takes forever, and if that subject is human, they start to complain and forget about capturing animals and anything that requires speed. Also, even with the flash on, if subject don't stand absolutely still the image comes out blurry. Additionally, the video camera is terrible. The video is jerky and pixilated. Has anyone else experienced these problems? If so, have you found a solution or do I just need accept the fact that the camera function is horrible.
"
Accept the fact that the camera function is horrible. It is a Phone and Pda first, and a camera about 100th on the list.
It is still a relatively new phone and hackers are still working on it . I am sure someone will come up with a
hack to make it acceptable, but don't expect it to be anything more than acceptable. HTC will have a great Camera when the Nikon D70 mkes great phone calls I fear.
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
AdamTxPdx
AdamTxPdx
4. RE: HTC Touch Pro (Sprint) Camera Slow Response Time
Nov 24 2008, 12:39 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 24 2008, 12:39 PM EST
"Accept the fact that the camera function is horrible. It is a Phone and Pda first, and a camera about 100th on the list.
It is still a relatively new phone and hackers are still working on it . I am sure someone will come up with a
hack to make it acceptable, but don't expect it to be anything more than acceptable. HTC will have a great Camera when the Nikon D70 mkes great phone calls I fear."
Thanks. I was sure I would just have to accept the poor camera. Just wanted to be sure my experience was common with other HTC Touch Pro owners.
D4rk4m
D4rk4m
5. RE: HTC Touch Pro (Sprint) Camera Slow Response Time
Dec 13 2008, 7:54 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 13 2008, 7:54 AM EST
Yes I can add another slant to it, the cam on mine locks up and freezes most of the time, like Denco said I bought it for its PDA bit I have never really been one for a phone trying to be a camera, like he said and its a valid point its a phone leave the cameras to Nikon. I just dont look at that as a feature when I buy a phone, if it turns out to be good and work then its a bonus but most of the time they are not that great.
Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
6. RE: HTC Touch Pro (Sprint) Camera Slow Response Time
Dec 14 2008, 6:39 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 14 2008, 6:39 PM EST
I'm sorry guys, but I disagree with the notion it's a phone and not a camera. If that's truly case, then don't put a camera on the phone. I purchased this phone hoping to reduce the number of gadgets I have to take with me to an event. I'm not expecting the high quality and numerous features of a dedicated device (ie, digital camera, camcorder), however I would like to have a device which is passable and useable with the functions it advertises. I for one am disappointed in the quality and functionality of the camera and video of this phone. I expect more for the price I paid for the phone. It's not cheap!
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
7. RE: HTC Touch Pro (Sprint) Camera Slow Response Time
Dec 15 2008, 12:10 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 15 2008, 12:10 PM EST
I happen to agree. If they are going to add functionality to a device then it should work. In fact, the CEO of Sprint is not even calling these things phones any longer. He is calling them devices. I too wanted to reduce a number of gadgets. While I still take my good Nikon camera when it's important, I would like the camera on my phone (which increased the cost) to work for the unexpected moments. I don't think we should let companies (including HTC) get away with putting mediocre products on the market. Having said that, I love my HTC Touch Pro. It is just the camera is a a piece of junk.

I'll add another slant to it, if a company is not going to take the time to make functionality work correctly, then they should not add it to the phone at all.
D4rk4m
D4rk4m
8. RE: HTC Touch Pro (Sprint) Camera Slow Response Time
Dec 15 2008, 3:48 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 15 2008, 3:48 PM EST
Yes you are both very right IT SHOULD WORK. The point I was making like Denco said it is a PDA first, but you are right if they put it on it should work and work properly. I have to say it does take great pics when you get it to work. It does add to the cost and no they should not be let to get away with it as you said the cam is junk what I cant work out is why the front facing cam works fine, no auto focus they should make it an option you can turn off. Has anyone spoken to htc re this.

toybuilder

toybuilder
9. RE: HTC Touch Pro (Sprint) Camera Slow Respone Time
Dec 23 2008, 6:04 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 23 2008, 6:04 PM EST
The camera is slow in two ways -- it's slow in terms of responding to controls inputs, and the sensor's equilvanet "film speed" is so slow that most pictures come out blurry, even when you turn on the flashlight.

However, under very bright light, and when taking a picture of a still object, the autofocus works really well, and puts out very good quality pictures.

Personally, I can live with the lag for the autofocus... But I wish it had faster exposures!
AdamTxPdx
AdamTxPdx
10. RE: HTC Touch Pro (Sprint) Camera Slow Response Time
Dec 23 2008, 8:27 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 23 2008, 8:27 PM EST
"The camera is slow in two ways -- it's slow in terms of responding to controls inputs, and the sensor's equilvanet "film speed" is so slow that most pictures come out blurry, even when you turn on the flashlight.

However, under very bright light, and when taking a picture of a still object, the autofocus works really well, and puts out very good quality pictures.

Personally, I can live with the lag for the autofocus... But I wish it had faster exposures!"
I agree with your assessment.

Anonymous
11. RE: HTC Touch Pro (Sprint) Camera Slow Response Time
Dec 25 2008, 5:05 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 25 2008, 5:05 AM EST
I submitted a form to HTC over this, I got a reference back but that's all no response, has anyone else submitted a form for this
AdamTxPdx
AdamTxPdx
12. RE: HTC Touch Pro (Sprint) Camera Slow Response Time
Dec 25 2008, 1:15 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 25 2008, 1:15 PM EST
"I submitted a form to HTC over this, I got a reference back but that's all no response, has anyone else submitted a form for this"
I have not submitted the form. I will submit one. Is that on the HTC website?

Anonymous
13. RE: HTC Touch Pro (Sprint) Camera Slow Response Time
Dec 25 2008, 2:37 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 25 2008, 2:37 PM EST
Adam yes its on the site, http://www.htc.com/www/CS_Mail.aspx this link should take you there. Perhaps if enough people raise the issue we may get a solution

Anonymous
14. RE: HTC Touch Pro (Sprint) Camera Slow Response Time
Dec 25 2008, 3:28 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 25 2008, 3:28 PM EST
you can change the response time on the camera. Mine was very slow, I gave it to my brother but im not sure exactly what he did....something about changing the reg values but it takes the picture immediatly now so there is a way to fix it

Anonymous
15. RE: HTC Touch Pro (Sprint) Camera Slow Response Time
Dec 25 2008, 4:08 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 25 2008, 4:08 PM EST
Cool what's the chance of finding how he did it, and can anyone recomend a reg editor
slept0nbandit
slept0nbandit
16. RE: HTC Touch Pro (Sprint) Camera Slow Respone Time
Dec 27 2008, 9:52 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 27 2008, 9:52 PM EST
Go into Picture Mode... In picture mode touch the screen and bring up setting/camera/thumbnail prompts...click the settings icon (gear icon) ..click ADVANCED.. On Page 1 Click REVIEW DURATION and select NO REVIEW... now go to PAGE 3 and select SHOOT OPTION... click and set TOUCH. .. now you removed all delays and can shoot with 1-2 second delays. That simple.. have fun.
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
D4rk4m
D4rk4m
17. RE: HTC Touch Pro (Sprint) Camera Slow Respone Time
Dec 28 2008, 6:52 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 28 2008, 6:52 AM EST
Not sure about anyone else but those changes make no difference to mine at all, I still get a huge delay before the picture is taken plus what I have found is the camera when it doesn't work because it locks up a lot also causes my other problem with the phone that being it goes silent and requires a soft reset to get any sound back on. Does anyone know if you can remove the camera software or even load other camera software to replace it.

Anonymous
18. RE: HTC Touch Pro (Sprint) Camera Slow Respone Time
Dec 28 2008, 10:44 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 28 2008, 10:44 PM EST
OK... I guess we all have to live with the NON-REMOVABLE Auto 'fuc-us' Feature.. Appears to create the biggest delay people speak of. I Have to say, I have been through a lot of PDA/Smart phones phones, and the Touch Pro takes very good pics and superb video... even when viewing on 32" - 46" monitors.
Sure, there are other camera softwares out there.. check some trial/freewares @ CNET: http://www.download.com/1770-20_4-0.html?query=camera&tag=srch&searchtype=downloads&filterName=platform%3DMobile&filter=platform%3DMobile
D4rk4m
D4rk4m
19. RE: HTC Touch Pro (Sprint) Camera Slow Respone Time
Dec 29 2008, 12:21 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 29 2008, 12:21 PM EST
I think that's the most annoying thing about the Camera, when it works the Pictures are the best I have seen from a PDA a trip to the zoo and some shots of the lizards later I would defy anyone to have a better picture they were really great even when blown up. But the fact that the auto focus makes it not that great at catching the spur of the moment shots and in my case the fact that after I have used the camera I have to soft reset the phone to get the sound back is somewhat of a let down. and HTC just don't want to acknowledge the problem.
2  | Next

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)