• A Wetpaint Wiki
close
Welcome! Wikis are websites that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Why is the camera quality so bad on the Wing?

Keyword tags: MDA T-Mobile Windows Mobile 6 wing
Watch
Become a member of the HTC community.
Already a member? Sign in

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

Anonymous
Why is the camera quality so bad on the Wing?
Jan 1 2008, 11:34 PM EST
When comparing the pics that are taken on the Dash's screen with its camera, and then looking at the pics that are taken on the Wing, the Wing has its butt whipped by the Dash's 1.3MP camera. Is there a ROM update from HTC or T-Mobile to fix this coming soon? They haven't released a ROM update at all within the 7 months the Wing has been out. Plus, the memory issues are a real pain. Quote and Reply Post a Reply 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
FearlessM

FearlessM
RE: Why is the camera quality so bad on the Wing?
Jan 4 2008, 3:45 PM EST
Its the resolution setting you have it on. My rizr kicks my wings cameras ass and rizr is so much cheaper, both 2 MP, disappointed it has no flash, but whatever Change the resolution till it says M its at the top of the touch display, it has 2m, 1m , L, M, S - i use M. medium Quote and Reply Post a Reply Do you find this valuable?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
Jan 5 2008, 9:13 AM EST
"Its the resolution setting you have it on. My rizr kicks my wings cameras ass and rizr is so much cheaper, both 2 MP, disappointed it has no flash, but whatever Change the resolution till it says M its at the top of the touch display, it has 2m, 1m , L, M, S - i use M. medium "
M is actually a lower resolution than the 2M. 2M is the full 2 megapixel, while the M is much lower. Quote and Reply Post a Reply Do you find this valuable?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
Jan 5 2008, 9:15 AM EST
"When comparing the pics that are taken on the Dash's screen with its camera, and then looking at the pics that are taken on the Wing, the Wing has its butt whipped by the Dash's 1.3MP camera. Is there a ROM update from HTC or T-Mobile to fix this coming soon? They haven't released a ROM update at all within the 7 months the Wing has been out. Plus, the memory issues are a real pain. "
I'm sure an update may help a little, but if the CMOS sensor on the camera is not a good one, then there isn't really much you can do to improve the quality of the image. As for the memory issues, I agree, the device has some issues with it. I am still not sure where the memory leaks are. Quote and Reply Post a Reply Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Jan 5 2008, 1:28 PM EST
Yeah i figured that at Rain but still the pictures show up better for me anyways. Quote and Reply Post a Reply Do you find this valuable?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
Jan 5 2008, 1:30 PM EST
"Yeah i figured that at Rain but still the pictures show up better for me anyways."
Interesting... I'll have to try that on my Tilt and 8525 and see what kind of results I get. I know it will be faster :-) Quote and Reply Post a Reply Do you find this valuable?    
terryjohnson16

terryjohnson16
Jan 5 2008, 8:22 PM EST
Do the people that have the Kaiser aka Tilt aka 8925 have this same issue with the camera quality and memory issues? Quote and Reply Post a Reply Do you find this valuable?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
Jan 5 2008, 8:47 PM EST
"Do the people that have the Kaiser aka Tilt aka 8925 have this same issue with the camera quality and memory issues?"
Memory issues aren't an issue with Tilt users because the device comes with 128MB of RAM. After loading several applications, I still have about 61MB of usable RAM. The camera is a different story. It is slow to respond, compared to my 8525. Some believe it has to do with the fact that HTC chose not to enable the graphics processor that the Qualcomm MSM7200 chipset has. So it does affect, to a degree, the performance of the camera and videos. Quote and Reply Post a Reply Do you find this valuable?    
terryjohnson16

terryjohnson16
Jan 5 2008, 9:11 PM EST
I wonder what will replace the Wing, and Dash. I hope CES 2008 surprises us with nice devices. Quote and Reply Post a Reply Do you find this valuable?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
Jan 5 2008, 9:14 PM EST
"I wonder what will replace the Wing, and Dash. I hope CES 2008 surprises us with nice devices."
Well, I think it will be a while before a new device comes out for T-Mobile. What I'd be more interested in hearing from them is when they are going to finally implement 3G networks in the U.S. I have heard that it will run on the 1700mhz band, therefore, different phones will have to be developed, which sucks since the TyTN II (Kaiser) doesn't support this band. We'll have to wait and see.

As a shameless plug, I am a moderator over at Pocketnow.com and we are providing CES 2008 coverage, so keep an eye over there starting Monday.
Quote and Reply Post a Reply Do you find this valuable?    
terryjohnson16

terryjohnson16
Jan 5 2008, 9:45 PM EST
"Well, I think it will be a while before a new device comes out for T-Mobile. What I'd be more interested in hearing from them is when they are going to finally implement 3G networks in the U.S. I have heard that it will run on the 1700mhz band, therefore, different phones will have to be developed, which sucks since the TyTN II (Kaiser) doesn't support this band. We'll have to wait and see.

As a shameless plug, I am a moderator over at Pocketnow.com and we are providing CES 2008 coverage, so keep an eye over there starting Monday."
T-Mobile isn't able to launch 3G yet, since the government is still using the freq in many locations of the US. T-Mobile is already selling 3G phones, but the phone can't pick up the 3G services til its turned on. Some of their 3G phones are the Nokia 6263, Samsung t639, and the soon to launch Samsung T819. They might show the Samsung t819 at the CES 2008 show. Quote and Reply Post a Reply Do you find this valuable?    
Addy5150
Addy5150
Jan 13 2008, 1:56 AM EST
I found that if you take pictures in the sun or realy good light they come out good... Quote and Reply Post a Reply Do you find this valuable?    
Mazda8
Mazda8
Feb 8 2008, 2:45 AM EST
I set mine on 2m and have no problem with the quality. In low light it is pretty bad but great light it works just fine. Quote and Reply Post a Reply Do you find this valuable?    
RipRap
RipRap
Feb 10 2008, 5:54 PM EST
The default setting on the WING is set to the lowest res.
Change the settings to the highest, and also to SUPERFINE and you will have pics that print out on 4x6 no prob. I have taken some very decent pics with my Wing, much better than the MDA Wizard it replaced.
Quote and Reply Post a Reply Do you find this valuable?    
Related Content (what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)