• A Wetpaint Site
Welcome! This is a website that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Discussion: HTC Touch rom upgrade

Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6  | Next > Last
JDHTC

JDHTC
RE: HTC Touch rom upgrade
Apr 30 2008, 6:02 PM EDT
I just downloaded and installed the Touch (Vogue) updated ROM on my Alltel Touch, and it works just fine, if not a good bit faster. My previous ROM was dated back in November 2007, this new ROM is dated 4/09/08.

I downloaded loaded it from this link:
http://www.htc.com/us/FAQ_Detail.aspx?p_id=64&act=sd

If you follow the directions step for step, it will work just fine.
10  out of 10 found this valuable. Do you?    
NexusGrey
NexusGrey
Apr 30 2008, 8:14 PM EDT
Well I just chatted with Sprint and this was what they told me
System Connected to sprint-ap2.cnxchat.com
7:59:52 PM
System Session ID: 1823469
7:59:58 PM
System Please hold and the next available agent will be with you shortly.
8:00:57 PM
System Michelle L has joined this session!
8:00:58 PM
System Connected with Michelle L
8:01:03 PM
Michelle L Thank you for contacting Sprint. My name is Michelle. How may I assist you today?
8:01:45 PM
Anthony well I have the htc touch phone and I would like to know when will the software update is coming?
8:02:18 PM
Michelle L I do apologize, but which software update are you referring to?
8:03:07 PM
Anthony its the one the is suppose to start the gps in the phone.
8:03:28 PM
Anthony its a REV A type update i think
8:03:33 PM
Michelle L Do you know the name of the software?
8:04:19 PM
Anthony i dont know the name but there are a few websites that talk about it
8:06:50 PM
Anthony its called REV A update. Its a rom update
8:09:08 PM
Michelle L I see information on a ROM update for the Mogul, but I do apologize I have no information on any updates for the Touch.
8:09:44 PM
Anthony I see, well thank you for your time
3  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Apr 30 2008, 8:24 PM EDT
The message I got when I called Sprint was this: The upgrade was available and would send me the link right now.. I was delierious with joy until I read the link which said "upgrade of Mogul"

Here's a depressing e-mail I received from HTC 4/30:

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding GPS on the HTC Touch. I can certainly understand your concern. Please note in order for HTC to release an update for a carrier locked/branded device such as the Sprint Touch, it has to be first requested and authorized by the carrier which the device is locked to. At this moment we do not have any time frame or any information regarding GPS update for the HTC Touch. If you like to escalate this issue further, please contact Sprint to address your concern."

Neither Sprint or HTC seem to know anything. Some have used another Cell Company HTC upgrade with their phone, but others have some issues. Sprint Tech support will NOT help you if you use another companies upgrade for the Touch.

3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
May 6 2008, 9:07 AM EDT
"The message I got when I called Sprint was this: The upgrade was available and would send me the link right now.. I was delierious with joy until I read the link which said "upgrade of Mogul"

Here's a depressing e-mail I received from HTC 4/30:

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding GPS on the HTC Touch. I can certainly understand your concern. Please note in order for HTC to release an update for a carrier locked/branded device such as the Sprint Touch, it has to be first requested and authorized by the carrier which the device is locked to. At this moment we do not have any time frame or any information regarding GPS update for the HTC Touch. If you like to escalate this issue further, please contact Sprint to address your concern."

Neither Sprint or HTC seem to know anything. Some have used another Cell Company HTC upgrade with their phone, but others have some issues. Sprint Tech support will NOT help you if you use another companies upgrade for the Touch.

"
Here is what they told me on 4/29/08. Why can't they just send out the rom like they did for Alltel?...........

I understand your concern with regards to the GPS function of the device. HTC uses a general cpu that is used by many devices with some devices having more functions turned on, while others have some features off. This allows for HTC to enable features based on carrier request, which requires licensing to enable the feature from the chipset maker and software development from HTC and Microsoft. In general this allows us to decrease cost to the customer and enable features free of charge in the future. HTC and Sprint plans to release the update in the coming months for the GPS and REV A.

I hope we have answered your question in detail. Feel free to contact us again if you have any further questions.

HTC Technical Support
http://www.america.htc.com
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
denco7
denco7
May 6 2008, 10:01 AM EDT
"Here is what they told me on 4/29/08. Why can't they just send out the rom like they did for Alltel?...........

I understand your concern with regards to the GPS function of the device. HTC uses a general cpu that is used by many devices with some devices having more functions turned on, while others have some features off. This allows for HTC to enable features based on carrier request, which requires licensing to enable the feature from the chipset maker and software development from HTC and Microsoft. In general this allows us to decrease cost to the customer and enable features free of charge in the future. HTC and Sprint plans to release the update in the coming months for the GPS and REV A.

I hope we have answered your question in detail. Feel free to contact us again if you have any further questions.

HTC Technical Support
http://www.america.htc.com
"
As they said before, all HTC phones pretty much have the same potential which they and the carrier chose to switch on and off. Chances are that they will not switch on the GPS potential of the touch. Otherwise how can they get people to buy a more expensive phone with GPS.It is just business. Coke, Diet Coke, Coke Classic, Coke Zero, Diet Coke Plus, Coke with cherry ,vanilla,lime,lemon ,etc etc etc. Like the phones all the same basic formula but different " tastes" switched on and off for more "shelf space." Bottom line is, do your homework, buy a phone that " HAS " what you want, not the potential to have what you want with a Rom upgrade. Unless of course they imply that the new chip set in your phone will have state of the art video , and then don't include the @#$%ing drivers but I digress. 2  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
May 6 2008, 10:29 AM EDT
"As they said before, all HTC phones pretty much have the same potential which they and the carrier chose to switch on and off. Chances are that they will not switch on the GPS potential of the touch. Otherwise how can they get people to buy a more expensive phone with GPS.It is just business. Coke, Diet Coke, Coke Classic, Coke Zero, Diet Coke Plus, Coke with cherry ,vanilla,lime,lemon ,etc etc etc. Like the phones all the same basic formula but different " tastes" switched on and off for more "shelf space." Bottom line is, do your homework, buy a phone that " HAS " what you want, not the potential to have what you want with a Rom upgrade. Unless of course they imply that the new chip set in your phone will have state of the art video , and then don't include the @#$%ing drivers but I digress."
I did my "homework" and the phone has everything that I need. I only found out about the GPS chip inside after I bought the phone. I really don't even need the GPS function, I just don't like it when big companies mess with me. If it is "just business" as you claim, why did Alltel release their ROM? Alltel has record growth and Sprint stock went from $23 to $5. Sprint needs to remember that they don't sell phones for profit, they sell phone plans. If they would just give me (and others) what we want, we will keep PAYING for their plans. Good luck with your video driver thing. 2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
denco7
denco7
May 6 2008, 1:41 PM EDT
"I did my "homework" and the phone has everything that I need. I only found out about the GPS chip inside after I bought the phone. I really don't even need the GPS function, I just don't like it when big companies mess with me. If it is "just business" as you claim, why did Alltel release their ROM? Alltel has record growth and Sprint stock went from $23 to $5. Sprint needs to remember that they don't sell phones for profit, they sell phone plans. If they would just give me (and others) what we want, we will keep PAYING for their plans. Good luck with your video driver thing."
Thanks! I said it was business, I didn't say it was good business. I had Nextel phones for my construction business for twelve years. Then Sprint took over. One by one my suppliers and fellow contractors left. I was one of the last, when my Blackberry started having problems, I didn't want a free phone just the same discount they provide to "new " customers. $150.00 instead of $300.00. They said no, I took 7 phones and twelve years of loyalty to AT$T. As I said just business isn't necessarily good business 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
May 6 2008, 3:58 PM EDT
I completely agree with Denco7. altho, when I purchased my Touch through sprint over the phone, I was assured that my phone would come GPS enabled. Even got me to upgrade my vision plan to include unlimited GPS. As a person who gets lost a lot, I was very clear about wanting GPS and would have looked elsewhere or waited to make sure that I had an eligible phone. To me, specifically, they were misleading and lying, presumably because they just didn't know and told me what I wanted to hear...

To denco7's point, I had always suspected that the ROM upgrade would take place when Sprint adds it's new "tastes" to the lineup. Later, I was told that the Touch Dual would "definitely" be added to Sprint's line-up in mid-2008 with GPS already enabled. It makes sense to me that Sprint would offer a GPS upgrade when, and if at all, the new Dual had already made its debut, allowing the Touch to catchup. Pretty much like how the Mogul got updated after the Touch had finished it's sales-run.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
May 7 2008, 7:53 AM EDT
The ROM is out!!!!

http://www.htc.com/us/FAQ_Detail.aspx?p_id=75&act=sd
1  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
May 7 2008, 9:10 AM EDT
"The ROM is out!!!!

http://www.htc.com/us/FAQ_Detail.aspx?p_id=75&act=sd"
Ignore.... Bad link posted as always in the other forums. 2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
RE: HTC Touch
May 24 2008, 3:26 PM EDT
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=24925 Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
RE: HTC Touch
May 24 2008, 9:38 PM EDT
does the the touch phone software work on the moogle phone Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
May 25 2008, 8:52 AM EDT
Do you know what the latest ROM version for the Sprint HTC Touch is and where I can find it? All the HTC links I can find seem to be inactive. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
May 28 2008, 5:09 PM EDT
PPCGEEKS.COM Fellas.. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
May 28 2008, 6:28 PM EDT
"Do you know what the latest ROM version for the Sprint HTC Touch is and where I can find it? All the HTC links I can find seem to be inactive."
Sprint has not released a 6.1 update as of yet. The only 6.1 update you will find is the 6.1 that was extracted from the Altell update and adapted to Sprint phones. It works, if you cannot wait until the official Sprint release ( this summer? ) , but of course doing this will void your Sprint warranty. Do you find this valuable?    
denco7
denco7
May 28 2008, 6:36 PM EDT
"Sprint has not released a 6.1 update as of yet. The only 6.1 update you will find is the 6.1 that was extracted from the Altell update and adapted to Sprint phones. It works, if you cannot wait until the official Sprint release ( this summer? ) , but of course doing this will void your Sprint warranty."
Sorry. forgot to login. My comments above^ 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jun 5 2008, 4:35 AM EDT
OK, this is the test rom that sprint has in their labs, i tried it, it unlocks GPS and RevA.
ftp://up.ppcgeeks.com/Vogue/Users/OMJ/ROMS/RUU_Vogue_4350_PPST_SpeciallNBH_SPRINT_WWE_3.02.651.2_Radio_435011_3.37.15_AM_NV_SPCS_1.33_0823_Test.exe

Super easy to flash as well
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jun 6 2008, 2:16 PM EDT
Has anyone verified that this will work with the Sprint Touch? The person who posted this link didn't log in... so i'm a bit worried if I do this and it breaks the phone OR Maybe it's a virus and destroys the phone... but then who would want to do that! Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Jun 6 2008, 2:28 PM EDT
"Has anyone verified that this will work with the Sprint Touch? The person who posted this link didn't log in... so i'm a bit worried if I do this and it breaks the phone OR Maybe it's a virus and destroys the phone... but then who would want to do that!"
Yesterday, 4:35 AM EDT

OK, this is the test rom that sprint has in their labs, i tried it, it unlocks GPS and RevA.
ftp://up.ppcgeeks.com/Vogue/Users/OMJ/ROMS/RUU_Vogue_4350_PPST_SpeciallNBH_SPRINT_WWE_3.02.651.2_Radio_435011_3.37.15_AM_NV_SPCS_1.33_0823_Test.exe

Super easy to flash as well
4  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
mikedav01

mikedav01
Jun 6 2008, 9:32 PM EDT
"RE: HTC Touch rom upgrade
Yesterday, 4:35 AM EDT

Super easy to flash as well"
This is an executable. What does it do? Do you know if th custom ROM listed for verizon is tuned for Verizon xv6900? 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6  | Next > Last
Site pages
Recent Site Activity
Top Contributors