• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: How do you "End Data Call" in VZW TouchPro?

Keyword tags: None

Watch
nlk10010
nlk10010
How do you "End Data Call" in VZW TouchPro?
Jan 2 2009, 4:40 PM EST
The "Search" function is erroring out on me so I thought I'd post a New Thread since I have problems with delayed gratification. :) I've also posted this on other forums so apologies if that's bad form.

I have a new TP on VZE and am trying to get tethering working. Every time I use ModemLink, select USB and click "Start" I get "End Data Call First". I've checked to see that ActiveSync is not running, turned on Airplane mode, turned off Data Connection and/or Phone, etc. and tried various combinations of those but the Data Connection always seems to resurrect itself and clicking "Start" in ModemLink gives me the "End Data Call First" message. SOMETHING is keeping that connection alive and I can't for the life of me figure out what it is. I've also tried a long press on the "End Call" button but no joy. There are some other issues as well, but I thought someone might have a quick answer (as opposed to VZW support, which MIGHT have a looooong attempt at an answer).

Thanks in advance.
Do you find this valuable?    
browntannis
browntannis
RE: How do you "End Data Call" in VZW TouchPro?
Jan 3 2009, 3:48 PM EST
"The "Search" function is erroring out on me so I thought I'd post a New Thread since I have problems with delayed gratification. :) I've also posted this on other forums so apologies if that's bad form.

I have a new TP on VZE and am trying to get tethering working. Every time I use ModemLink, select USB and click "Start" I get "End Data Call First". I've checked to see that ActiveSync is not running, turned on Airplane mode, turned off Data Connection and/or Phone, etc. and tried various combinations of those but the Data Connection always seems to resurrect itself and clicking "Start" in ModemLink gives me the "End Data Call First" message. SOMETHING is keeping that connection alive and I can't for the life of me figure out what it is. I've also tried a long press on the "End Call" button but no joy. There are some other issues as well, but I thought someone might have a quick answer (as opposed to VZW support, which MIGHT have a looooong attempt at an answer).

Thanks in advance.
"
You should be able to end a data session on the Touch Pro by pressing and holding you End Call Button. Do you find this valuable?    
nlk10010
nlk10010
RE: How do you "End Data Call" in VZW TouchPro?
Jan 3 2009, 4:25 PM EST
I know, either that or Comm Manager. It DOES initially kill it but the session immediately came back.

After winning CSR roulette with Verizon, I discovered what was going on (for the most part). The CSR had a unit and said her ModemLink Started with no problems at all (she didn't need to kill anything) which got me thinking there were programs I installed or initiated that were trying to continuously maintain a connection. After changing ActiveSync settings from "As Items Arrive" to "Manual" AND changing the Windows Live sync schedule from "As Items Arrive" to "Manual" things settled down. I killed the DataSession and it stayed dead. ModemLink worked fine until.....well, until about 15-20 minutes in when I started getting popup messages with Error 1010 (something that indicated that the TP was trying to initialize a data connection). It didn't interrupt my tethering session and when I disconnected I got the data connection back but I'm still wondering.....perhaps it was my IMAP mail account, which was set to pull messages every 30 minutes. I'm going to do some more experimenting.

In any case, while still a bit of a pain tethering seems a reasonable proposition, if an involved one. :) For anyone else with this problem just check that you don't have ActiveSync, Windows Live or your E-Mail app set to initiate data connections. IAC, thanks for taking the time to post your response.
Do you find this valuable?    
Site pages
Top Contributors