• A Wetpaint Site
Keyword tags: cruise GPS (edit keyword tags)

Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

Anonymous
GPS
Oct 28 2008, 10:32 PM EDT
I have the 'older' Touch model. I would love to have free GPS and by that I mean no data charges just a stand alone system similar to using a Garmin GPS unit. I have a friend that uses a chinese phone that has free GPS. Is this possible with software for the Touch, and if not is this at all possible with any HTC phone. The phone companies tell me they charge for GPS but I know FREE stand alone GPS does exist.

Ian
6  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    
Sgarrela

Sgarrela
RE: GPS
Nov 28 2008, 7:40 PM EST
There are several stand alone GPS programs that work on the Tilt. I use Pharos Software called Ostia. (www.pharosgps.com). I loaded the program on my Tilt and then loaded the Ostia Maps for Western United States including Hawaii. It took about 400K on my storage card. The newest version comes on an SD card, so you could just put it in your phone. It gives turn by turn directions just like any Garman GPS. No data connection is required. I download QuickGPS satellite date once every 7 days. I use WiFi for that so I don't incur data costs. QuickGPS is built into the Tilt, so the weekly download helps the GPS chip find the satellites faster. Tom Tom also makes a system that will work on the Tilt, but I don't use that one so I can't advise you on it. 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)
Site pages
Top Contributors