Discussion: HTC TOUCH-PRO FOR SPRINT aka HERMAN

Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

2 3  | Next
knnewhouse
knnewhouse
HTC TOUCH-PRO FOR SPRINT aka HERMAN
Aug 14 2008, 9:40 PM EDT
I am definitely upgrading from my Sprint Apache to the Herman when it becomes available. Latest word on the release date for Sprint that I've heard is Oct.2nd 2008.If anyone has any "verified" new info on this phone please share it. Also, am I the only one who thinks the name "Herman" is a weird name for a phone? 14  out of 15 found this valuable. Do you?    
BEWalsh

BEWalsh
RE: HTC TOUCH-PRO FOR SPRINT aka HERMAN
Aug 19 2008, 10:48 AM EDT
Until your post, I had only heard that September was the release date for the new Diamond with Sprint; I didn't hear anything about the "Pro" version being released though. I did also hear (and/or saw) that it might come with a case color(s) other than black/metal. HOWEVER, the one thing you should note is that, if you want expandability, the Pro is the way to go; supposedly the standard Diamond does not have an expansion slot! I've grown accustomed to my SanDisk cards, especially for music. I got used to it on my old Treo, and still utilize it with my Sprint Touch. It's amazing how nice it is not to be tied to a fixed amount of useable memory (too bad I-Phone). Plus, it will be nice to have the Pro's keyboard to get back to faster/easier data entry on the fly! Since the Diamond phones were what I really was looking for when I had to replace the Treo, my Touch has been only temporary fix. So I've been looking forward to the Diamond's all year here in America. Please keep the info coming! P.S. Herman, Gabriel, Raphael...what's in a name?! Do you find this valuable?    
knnewhouse
knnewhouse
Aug 19 2008, 11:36 AM EDT
Hey thanks for the reply.I was beginning to think I was all alone here! I agree with you that the memory card slot and keyboard are "must haves". I looked at the Touch when it first came out and was offered a very attractive price to "upgrade" from my Apache but there just wasn't enough reasons to do it. Can't wait for the Touch Pro aka Herman! Do you find this valuable?    
BEWalsh

BEWalsh
Aug 19 2008, 1:30 PM EDT
Well let's stay in "touch" then! I ended up with the Touch basically because I was kind of in the middle of the current revolution in change to more well-rounded fully capable PDA phones, etc. At the time, I left my Treo on the roof of my car; and as you could imagine, I needed a replacement. The major thing happening was the I-Phone, but it wasn't for me. Becasue nothing really had changed in awhile with the Treo, the next best thing ended up being the Touch. It's not perfect, but stands-up pretty well and is fairly flexible considering it size. Plus, being on Sprint's network here has its benefits. I've learned to live with data entry issue (used to the Palm OS in the past), with Word Completion being a big benefit. But like I said, Diamond's Touch Pro is what I've been waiting for. I just hope it's not too late, and even better phones aren't right around the corner. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Aug 19 2008, 4:41 PM EDT
Here in the Netherlands, the HTC Touch Pro is allready for sale. Well at least some sites say the have a delivery time of 1 day. I assume you guys live in the US? 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Aug 19 2008, 4:42 PM EDT
Oh never mind, you are talking about 'sprint' order something, guess that's some other kind of network? Do you find this valuable?    
BEWalsh

BEWalsh
Aug 19 2008, 5:10 PM EDT
Yes...US here. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Aug 21 2008, 2:24 PM EDT
Yes Us here we live in the planet Earth. What planet are you from? Let me guess Pluto? LOL... My Quote of the day is Iphone 3G is most lacking features of a phone. People just buy it for it's good looks. People do not buy Iphone 3G and get a Windows Mobile Smartphone has it will for sure make your phone more reliable. ;-) 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
BEWalsh

BEWalsh
Aug 21 2008, 5:26 PM EDT
"I am definitely upgrading from my Sprint Apache to the Herman when it becomes available. Latest word on the release date for Sprint that I've heard is Oct.2nd 2008.If anyone has any "verified" new info on this phone please share it. Also, am I the only one who thinks the name "Herman" is a weird name for a phone? "
Check out the news on this link (it's inly for the Diamond though):
http://htcsource.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=344
Do you find this valuable?    
knnewhouse
knnewhouse
Aug 21 2008, 7:17 PM EDT
"Check out the news on this link (it's inly for the Diamond though):
http://htcsource.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=344
"
Thanks for the info and the link. I had never heard of that website(www.htcsource.com). I hope the deal Sprint offers for the Touch-Pro aka Herman is a least as good. I will buy it in a heartbeat. Have you ever visited (www.ppcgeeks.com)? It is a great website as well, lots of good,usable info on the forums. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Aug 22 2008, 11:05 AM EDT
What site did you go to, to find out that date? I heard that the DIAMOND and the PRO is supposed to be launched rite behind each other, and I heard that the DIAMOND comes out on Sept 2. If you have any new accurate info, please keep me updated.......I gotta have this fone on the very 1st day it comes out. Oh 1 more thing how accurate is the fact that SPRINT will get this fone? Do you find this valuable?    
BEWalsh

BEWalsh
Aug 22 2008, 11:10 AM EDT
"Thanks for the info and the link. I had never heard of that website(www.htcsource.com). I hope the deal Sprint offers for the Touch-Pro aka Herman is a least as good. I will buy it in a heartbeat. Have you ever visited (www.ppcgeeks.com)? It is a great website as well, lots of good,usable info on the forums. "
You're welcome. You would be suprised at the number of links out there! BTW, I'm a bit disappointed about the whole pricing thing. $300 after all the rebates AND still a 2 year contract?! Watch...the PRO version will prbably cost at least $100 more. Actually, you really should think about it being an initial $400 you shell out for the Diamond; the $100 rebate, if you see it, won't be for most likely a year. Sprint will really make you stay on top of that and work for it. They will lose copies of your form(s), and you'll have to resubmit, then you'll be past the deadline, etc. I guess we'll see. Do you find this valuable?    
BEWalsh

BEWalsh
Aug 22 2008, 11:13 AM EDT
"What site did you go to, to find out that date? I heard that the DIAMOND and the PRO is supposed to be launched rite behind each other, and I heard that the DIAMOND comes out on Sept 2. If you have any new accurate info, please keep me updated.......I gotta have this fone on the very 1st day it comes out. Oh 1 more thing how accurate is the fact that SPRINT will get this fone?"
Dude, look at the links listed in both postings for your answer(s). The sheet on the first website is from Sprint. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Aug 22 2008, 11:24 AM EDT
Called yesterday (Aug, 21) and rep stated that it would be availabele on August 30 @ $250 for a 2 year contract . . . . 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
fmcgee630

fmcgee630
Aug 22 2008, 12:48 PM EDT
Got a few questions if anyone has any answers, any information is welcome :

- Will all the features, especially GPS, be enabled in the initial release ?

- What buttons will be on the sides, if any. Specifically looking for something I could define for voice speed dial, camera, etc.

- Is the battery removable ? I currently have a 2400 maH battery in my Mogul, and I would like to put a larger battery in it when the time comes.

- What is the camera orientation; forward facing, rear facing, something else ?

- Any chance we might see Android on this platform at some point ?

Thanks for any info anyone has.
BEWalsh

BEWalsh
Aug 22 2008, 1:42 PM EDT
"Got a few questions if anyone has any answers, any information is welcome :

I thought I read they would be.

- What buttons will be on the sides, if any. Specifically looking for something I could define for voice speed dial, camera, etc.
I think volume on the side and

- Is the battery removable ? I currently have a 2400 maH battery in my Mogul, and I would like to put a larger battery in it when the time comes.

Thanks for any info anyone has.
"
Not to sound annoyed, but most, if not all, of your questions can be answered by reading the posts specifically related to the product you are inquiring about. But to be as helpful as I can...

I thought I read they would be.

I think volume on the side and power-up on top; besides those on the TouchFlo face. All of which I believe can be programmed.

The battery is removable, and is larger on the Pro than the Diamond itself. Whether an even larger is to come, ???

Camera lense is on the back of the phone, with autofocus sensor and flash. Another video camera, for phone conferencing is supposed to be on the front...sounds cool too!

Isn't Android going to be on Google's platform. Either way, someone will probably come up with the app!
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Aug 25 2008, 4:13 PM EDT
Would there be any benefits in buying a European Model of the HTC Touch Pro instead of the US version? I have heard that other countries have better features/etc. I know that the frequencies may be an issue but I think GSM would be fine where I live. (I am a Cingular Customer but my contract if over so I can switch if I want.)

Please let me know! Thank You =)

Anonymous
Aug 26 2008, 3:53 AM EDT
This thread is for the "HTC TOUCH PRO FOR SPRINT aka HERMAN". If you want info on other carrier's versions of the phone I suggest you go to <www.phonearena.com> and select the carrier you are interested in and then click on the "UPCOMING" tab. It will show you what phones they are going to have and when. 3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
knnewhouse
knnewhouse
Aug 26 2008, 10:25 AM EDT
"This thread is for the "HTC TOUCH PRO FOR SPRINT aka HERMAN". If you want info on other carrier's versions of the phone I suggest you go to <www.phonearena.com> and select the carrier you are interested in and then click on the "UPCOMING" tab. It will show you what phones they are going to have and when."
Amen to that!!!!! If you don't stick to the thread's topic-"HTC TOUCH PRO FOR SPRINT aka HERMAN" then the thread will become a useless mish-mash of essentially unrelated information instead of a valuable resource of information shared by those with a common interest. Please,If your not going to contribute to this thread's subject then please don't make an entry here. Do you find this valuable?    
BEWalsh

BEWalsh
Aug 26 2008, 11:00 AM EDT
"This thread is for the "HTC TOUCH PRO FOR SPRINT aka HERMAN". If you want info on other carrier's versions of the phone I suggest you go to <www.phonearena.com> and select the carrier you are interested in and then click on the "UPCOMING" tab. It will show you what phones they are going to have and when."
Yeah, that article has been out for almost a month...nothing really new in recent days. Basically what those of us need to know is that the Diamond will be released, with the Touch Pro about a month later. Sprint's versions (in the US) will be getting getting a 30-day jump on Verizon's; plus Sprint seems to be getting at least a couple bonuses is certain areas over Verizon. I don't know, maybe Sprint had the forethought to plan better.

For those who have not found or read any information already released on the Web, the phone names differ between the 2 carriers. Sprint's Diamond is called the Victor, and the Pro is the Herman. Verizon's Diamond retains the Diamond namesake, while their Pro will be known as the Raphael.

Whether September 2nd is the initial release date or the date they will specifically announce their launch date has yet to be fully divulged.

As far as pricing, I believe I previously placed a link (up above somewhere) that shows Sprint's Victor; initially we'll be shelling out $400 with a $100 mail-in rebate to bring that down to $300. I have not seen anything on the Herman, or Verizon's versions for that matter.

Then again, I stopped looking because I've grown tired from all the waiting.
2 3  | Next
Site pages
Top Contributors