• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: Official ROM Update for Rev A, WM 6.1, GPS, etc (Finally!)

Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

Anonymous
Official ROM Update for Rev A, WM 6.1, GPS, etc (Finally!)
Jul 18 2008, 12:29 PM EDT
http://www.htc.com/us/faq_detail.aspx?p_id=76&act=sd 7  out of 9 found this valuable. Do you?    
RChadwick

RChadwick
RE: Official ROM Update for Rev A, WM 6.1, GPS, etc (Finally!)
Jul 19 2008, 1:41 PM EDT
Now that it's 'Somewhat' released, can anyone tell me what navigation application is or can be used? I'm going to get a HTC Touch from Sprint in a few weeks, and would like to know if I have to buy an app from Garmin, TomTom, etc.., or if a decent navigation app comes with the 6.1 ROM update. Thanks. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Jul 19 2008, 5:57 PM EDT
"http://www.htc.com/us/faq_detail.aspx?p_id=76&act=sd"
Looks like HTC took the page down. It was dated 7/21/08, so it will probably be back up Monday. 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jul 20 2008, 12:31 AM EDT
garmin mobile xt has to be the best gps app. bought it for 79.99 works great on the toudch. 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jul 21 2008, 9:11 PM EDT
Will this work even though my phone is not from Sprint? Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Jul 21 2008, 9:13 PM EDT
"Will this work even though my phone is not from Sprint?"
My phone is an HTC Touch, the same phone that Sprint Touch uses. I've been hearing about the ROM upgrade for a few days now and I really want to get it running but I worry that the ROM upgrade may lock itself up. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Jul 22 2008, 1:55 PM EDT
Well, has anyone upgraded yet? Just wondering how it works? Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Jul 22 2008, 4:35 PM EDT
"Well, has anyone upgraded yet? Just wondering how it works?"
I'm upgrading it now, we'll see if everything works out...
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
SunYam

SunYam
Jul 22 2008, 4:53 PM EDT
I upgraded yesterday and so far it's working great. I could be wrong but it does seem to have improved my battery life by a bit. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Jul 23 2008, 1:14 PM EDT
Upgraded last night...
works great for me...

GPS uses built in sprint navigation....
Do you find this valuable?    
RChadwick

RChadwick
Jul 23 2008, 3:29 PM EDT
"Upgraded last night...
works great for me...

GPS uses built in sprint navigation...."
Is the Sprint Navigation any good? Does it store the maps on the device? Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Jul 23 2008, 5:55 PM EDT
"Is the Sprint Navigation any good? Does it store the maps on the device"
I just downloaded the new Firmware last night, here are a few observations

1.) There really isn't THAT big of a difference between WinM 6 and 6.1 as far as I can tell, the main difference will be when it goes to WinMob. 7, which won't be until early next year
2.) New Features for IE such as zoom out are nice, make reading better
3.) Oprea browser is cool...
4.) Sprint NAV works pretty well, but I haven't tested it out, other than just to make sure it works

QUESTIONS

1.) What other Apps will work beside Sprint Application (google maybe)
2.) Am I paying more for Navagation? I didn't click anything that said I had to pay, BUT Sprint is Sneaky like that
3.) What's the purpose for adding Ophera browser. How is it diff. from IE?
4.) Are there any new features for the Win Media Player?

Anonymous
Jul 23 2008, 10:15 PM EDT
This app is only for Sprint phones.

The GPS is only free if you have a data plan. The google map app still does not recognize the current location.

Opera handles html much better, you can view the full content of most sites with Opera.

If you do not backup your contacts or added programs you will have to reload them after the upgrade so be careful
razor1968

razor1968
Jul 23 2008, 11:08 PM EDT
How do i get the ROM update for my sprint htc touch?

Thanks...
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jul 23 2008, 11:34 PM EDT
I installed the update yesterday. Everything works except the GPS. The sprint app never finds any sats. Google maps found 1 after about 10 minutes. Any Ideas. I'm running sprint business connection? Should I reinstall the rom upgrade? The GPS program port is set on com 4. the hardware port is set to none. under access is set to manage GPS automatically
Thanks.

Anonymous
Jul 24 2008, 2:34 AM EDT
Hi,

Will this update work for NON Sprint phones.???

I have an HTC Touch (ELF100) which i bought in the UK.

Slick1020

Slick1020
Jul 24 2008, 3:21 PM EDT
For some reason when I select the mail mail icon on the Today Screen my text messages pop up. I have to always select my AOL account from the drop down menu unless I swipe my finger sideways to get to my AOL mail from the text messaging main screen. There is a flaw in the software. When I reloaded the software it solved everything but when I cleared out my text messages the same thing happened. I have tried to reload everything 3 times. I'm done trying.

And the phone doesn't want to come out of sleep mode every now and then since the upgrade. I have to hit the power button a couple of times before it comes out of sleep mode. I want to say it normally happens if I allow the phone to go to sleep when I have my photo album up.
raidersandbud
raidersandbud
Jul 31 2008, 6:25 PM EDT
"I installed the update yesterday. Everything works except the GPS. The sprint app never finds any sats. Google maps found 1 after about 10 minutes. Any Ideas. I'm running sprint business connection? Should I reinstall the rom upgrade? The GPS program port is set on com 4. the hardware port is set to none. under access is set to manage GPS automatically
Thanks.
"
I installed the official ROM upgrade download from HTC's website (http://www.htc.com/us/FAQ_Detail.aspx?p_id=76&act=sd) and it had difficulty locating GPS satellites in Google Maps for about 10 minutes when I initially ran it. I thought that it was a problem with the ROM or the GPS, but after that initial period the GPS did locate satellites and it pinpointed my location perfectly. It just took some time and patience to make it happen. Has yours started working yet? Do you find this valuable?    
raidersandbud
raidersandbud
Jul 31 2008, 6:27 PM EDT
"How do i get the ROM update for my sprint htc touch?

Thanks..."
HTC's Product Support page for the Sprint Touch: http://www.htc.com/us/FAQ_Detail.aspx?p_id=76&act=sd 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)
Site pages
Top Contributors