• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: new to tilt...help

Keyword tags: GPS IM Tilt WiFi (edit keyword tags)

Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

theone964

theone964
new to tilt...help
Nov 7 2008, 12:22 PM EST
Hey guys i just got my new tilt and i added the cube, BTAudio and Batti everything works fine but i need some help.

1). Ok i don't have a data plan. So does it cost me anything to use the GPS function?
2). I have the Family Unlimited Messanging and it says unlimited IM's but since i don't have a data plan does it cost me?
3). I have a wireless network at home...does it cost me anything to use the wifi function on the phone?

Anybody who helps me is a saint
Do you find this valuable?    
Sgarrela

Sgarrela
RE: new to tilt...help
Nov 8 2008, 6:26 PM EST
If you download and use Google Maps (or something similar) your GPS will work when you have a WiFi connection at no cost to you. If you are out of WiFi communication, Google Maps needs a way to download map segments as you travel. If you don't have a big or unlimited data plan, it can really cost you for those downloads. I found that buying a GPS package (I use Pharos-Ostia - $99.95) provides full GPS nav. capability, including turn-by-turn directions, with no need for a data plan. You download the maps provided on the CD-ROM to the storage card of your Tilt and you're ready to travel. I downloaded the entire western U.S. including Hawaii and it took 400 MB of my 2GB storage card.

Remember Unlimited Messaging Plans are for text messages. They are not a data plan.

As stated above, your WiFi network at home, or anywhere else (Starbuck's says all their stores will have free WiFi after Jan 1, 2009) costs you nothing to access the internet.

Good Luck!
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Nov 22 2008, 9:31 PM EST
1. You can use GPS for free -- if you understand it. The phone only has a receiver, no program. Download VisualGPS. Now the phone will tell you where you are -- but that's all. You need a mapping program such as Google Maps. Now the GPS will track with the map, but that's where the data plan comes in -- as you move, the map needs to be updated. I fought the urge to get the data plan for several months -- get it, it's worth every penny if you use your phone.
2. Unlimited messaging is different than the data plan. If you have unlimited messaging, you message for free.
3. Wifi is free.
Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Nov 25 2008, 8:39 PM EST
GPS and wifi are free 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)
Site pages
Top Contributors