• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: Alltel HTC 6800This is a featured thread

sappito

sappito
Alltel HTC 6800
Jan 9 2008, 12:47 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 9 2008, 12:47 PM EST
Can someone tell me why I cannot connect my phone to GPS? Alltel says it is GPS ready, just needs a program. I have literally tried half a dozen programs, and none of them recognize GPS capabilities. help!
2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: GPS volume
Rainman76
Rainman76
1. RE: Alltel HTC 6800
Jan 9 2008, 5:01 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 9 2008, 5:01 PM EST
Technically, the device does have GPS on the chipset. Unfortunately, I don't think the firmware was set to enable it for use. I have heard that this will happen on the Sprint version of the device this year, but I am not sure of the exact timing of when that will happen. Also, I am not sure if this update will be made to other cellular carriers that use this device.
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
2. RE: Alltel HTC 6800
Jan 9 2008, 9:23 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 9 2008, 9:23 PM EST
"Technically, the device does have GPS on the chipset. Unfortunately, I don't think the firmware was set to enable it for use. I have heard that this will happen on the Sprint version of the device this year, but I am not sure of the exact timing of when that will happen. Also, I am not sure if this update will be made to other cellular carriers that use this device."
Alltel tells me that it is supposed to be GPS capable and functional, yet they cannot help me with any of the settings! I'm frustrated.....

Anonymous
3. RE: Alltel HTC 6800
Jan 17 2008, 10:59 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 17 2008, 10:59 AM EST
I was told that you have to have an external gps locater that links up to the phone.
Rainman76
Rainman76
4. RE: Alltel HTC 6800
Jan 17 2008, 11:17 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 17 2008, 11:17 AM EST
"I was told that you have to have an external gps locater that links up to the phone."
Right now, you do have to use an external Bluetooth GPS receiver. But the processor itself, does have a GPS receiver built in to it. It's just a matter of when HTC will release an update so you can use the GPS receiver built in.
0  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
xnewethicx

xnewethicx
5. RE: Alltel HTC 6800
Oct 3 2008, 1:44 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 3 2008, 1:44 PM EDT
Correct, external is needed. There IS a GPS receiver built in, but it's blocked for everything but 911 tracking. There IS a way to unlock it, but it requires going in with a registry editor and changing files. I've seen threads around on how to do it, but not willing to void my warranty just yet ;)
Do you find this valuable?    
xnewethicx

xnewethicx
6. RE: Alltel HTC 6800
Oct 3 2008, 1:47 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 3 2008, 1:47 PM EDT
"Correct, external is needed. There IS a GPS receiver built in, but it's blocked for everything but 911 tracking. There IS a way to unlock it, but it requires going in with a registry editor and changing files. I've seen threads around on how to do it, but not willing to void my warranty just yet ;)"
Almost forgot, if you actually pay for the Alltel GPS service, I believe that unlocks it for use with that program only. It's like $99 a year, $15 a month, or $3 a day... something like that. Very similar to their habit of blocking free ringtone sites from use with their system in order to try and force you to buy things from their Axxcess shop.
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
alfitz
alfitz
7. RE: Alltel HTC 6800
Nov 6 2008, 1:37 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 6 2008, 1:37 PM EST
It's very easy. Send me your phone number or email addy to [email protected] and I'll send you the files.
alfitz
alfitz
8. RE: Alltel HTC 6800
Nov 6 2008, 1:37 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 6 2008, 1:37 PM EST
YES IT DOES. IT JUST NEEDS A DRIVER INSTALLED.
alfitz
alfitz
9. RE: Alltel HTC 6800
Nov 6 2008, 1:39 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 6 2008, 1:39 PM EST
It takes three seconds to install the correct driver to activate the GPS.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
10. RE: Alltel HTC 6800
Nov 22 2008, 4:41 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 22 2008, 4:41 PM EST
"It takes three seconds to install the correct driver to activate the GPS."
Hey, will this work for windows 6.1? I had the driver to get the GPS working on 6.0 but tried installing it after the ROM upgrade but it doesn't seem to work. I'm gonna send you my phone number so text it to me or something.
Tampares
Tampares
11. RE: Alltel HTC 6800
Mar 7 2009, 1:55 PM EST | Post edited: Mar 7 2009, 1:55 PM EST
I know it's been a while, but does this offer still stand. Thanks

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)