• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: Using Sprint HTC Touch as modem for MacBook Pro.

Watch
imuscle

imuscle
Using Sprint HTC Touch as modem for MacBook Pro.
Nov 21 2007, 6:49 AM EST
Does anyone know how to sync or pair the Touch and Mac so I can use it as a modem? Is there a site somewhere? Thanks. 4  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
RE: Using Sprint HTC Touch as modem for MacBook Pro.
Nov 21 2007, 7:00 PM EST
if you get markspace for syncing with mac... thats what i use... then you need to set up a connection through modem connections and get the information it asks for from your mobile provider...

and obviously have a cable lol
2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Nov 22 2007, 11:38 AM EST
You should be able to use the Touch as a modem with the MacBook.

On your Mac, you'll need to do the following:
- Open Bluetooth preferences and pair the phone with your Mac. Use the plus sign to add a new Bluetooth device. Make sure Bluetooth is enabled on the Touch (you can check this from the Comm Manager or Bluetooth Settings). Follow the directions to pair the phone to the Mac. You should get a code produced on the Mac to enter on the Touch.
- Once you've paired it, click on the Advanced Button from Bluetooth Preferences to ensure you have Serial port "Bluetooth-PDA-Sync" selected and the port is configured as a modem.

In the Mac's Bluetooth tool, make sure you've set up a Network connection to your Sprint PCS Vision account. Open Network Preferences, Select Bluetooth, Name it "Sprint PCS" or similar, Enter #777 as the phone number, Enter your Sprint PCS username (without the @sprintpcs.com), enter your Vision password. Hit Apply.

On the Touch, make sure you have Bluetooth enabled and Use Phone as Modem set up. Both must be active for this to work. You may need to enter your Sprint PCS Vision username/password on the Touch.

Once you've done this setup once, you'll be able to use the phone as a modem for your Mac by doing the following:

- Open Comm Manager on the Touch, Select Use Phone as Modem (ensure Bluetooth is enabled), hit connect.
- Open Network Preferences on the Mac, go to Bluetooth, Make sure your Sprint PCS info is loaded (see above), hit connect.

Hint: You have to hit connect on both the Touch and the Mac at the same time for this work so they Sync.

You should be off and running on the Internet using the Sprint data connection.
8  out of 8 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Nov 22 2007, 11:40 AM EST
Forgot to mention, make sure the Serial Port option is selected on the Touch when you pair it to your Mac. The Serial Port is how the two devices allow the connection. 4  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Nov 23 2007, 4:32 PM EST
Thanks alot...very helpful. 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Nov 29 2007, 12:11 AM EST
is there an additional charge? Do you find this valuable?    
macmedia
macmedia
Dec 2 2007, 12:54 AM EST
I have been using USBmodem on my Mogul and Touch for a few months now. The best thing is that it allows USB tethering as well as Bluetooth with my MacBook Pro. USB is much faster than BT and also charges the phone at the same time.

USBmodem is $19.95 (www.mobile-stream.com). They offer 2 versions - 1 for WM and the other for Treos (make sure you select the correct one).

With USBmodem, all you need is some kind of data plan on your phone. I have the $15 PowerVision plan and on at least an hour a day reading emails and surfing through my MBP with no extra charges.
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Dec 11 2007, 12:18 PM EST
I am trying to get my new HTC Touch to work with the USBModem product and while I was able to get the HTC driver to install ok, the modem will not connect. I was able to get the same PC and driver to work with my PCC 6700, but when I try the HTC Touch with the USBModem installed, it won't connect. Any ideas? Do you find this valuable?    
macmedia
macmedia
Dec 11 2007, 2:53 PM EST
did you try a soft reset of the touch first? Sometimes, you need to do this to get a good connect. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Wait--TRY THIS!!
Dec 13 2007, 11:05 AM EST
I have been using the exact same set up as you (HTC Touch and MBP) and i assumed that I would need USBModem or PDANet, but I found a MUCH easier solution and I have not seen it posted anywhere. All you have to do is:
1) pair your phone with your mac (initiate this from your mac and like the poster before said, make sure to select the "serial port" option when it appears on your mac and i think your phone too). I cant remember if I had started Internet Sharing on the phone before pairing or not... might mess with that if you don't see the serial port on the first go.
2) After you are paired, go to your phone and start Internet Sharing (selecting BT Pan and Sprint Network from the pulldown menus)
3) Go to your BT menu bar item (upper right hand corner of your mac) click on it, and you should see a new setting -- something like "join network on [HTC OWNERS NAME]". Select this, the computer connects to your phone and you should be all set! Now you can surf the net on your Mac using your HTC network at surprisingly fast rates (assuming EVDO).
Try it and let me know if it works for you...honestly i don't know why everyone isn't doing it this way, and it makes me a bit nervous....
3  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jun 23 2008, 1:46 PM EDT
my mac keeps telling me that a crossed connection has ocurred 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Oct 8 2008, 3:30 PM EDT
Yes Mine is doing the same thing. My mac is also telling me that a crossed connection has ocurred. Now when I did plug in the usb port it did ask me to disconnect my data connection. so I went to data connection, turned it off, then went back to Wmodem clicked usb then at the menu, clicked start. internet worked for 3-5secs then no longer connected 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
kortenhorst123

kortenhorst123
Friday, 11:26 AM EST
Anyone get this working I am having trouble with this connects for few seconds then disconnects.

Thanks
Do you find this valuable?    
denco7
denco7
Friday, 11:45 AM EST
"Anyone get this working I am having trouble with this connects for few seconds then disconnects.

Thanks"
I connect mine using a bluetooth connection and Internet sharing, And it works great. No wires. Do you find this valuable?    
kortenhorst123

kortenhorst123
Friday, 12:47 PM EST
is yours a HTC Touch or HTC Touch II? Do you find this valuable?    
denco7
denco7
Friday, 12:57 PM EST
"is yours a HTC Touch or HTC Touch II?"
I have a Tilt, but it is all WM 6.1 Do you find this valuable?    
Site pages
Top Contributors