• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: Can you use HTC shift as a mobile phone?

Keyword tags: None (edit keyword tags)

Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

Anonymous
Can you use HTC shift as a mobile phone?
Mar 29 2007, 9:45 AM EDT
I was wondering if you can use it as a mobile phone and would it be locked to US carriers? 14  out of 15 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
RE: Can you use HTC shift as a mobile phone?
Mar 30 2007, 5:33 PM EDT
It can be used as a mobile phone - I have no idea who is going to pick up the rights (if anyone.) It may be a product that's sold as SIM unlock... Regardless it's going to be pricey - $2k at least. 3  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Apr 3 2007, 3:01 AM EDT
I know im going to be getting one 0  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
FlorianIro

FlorianIro
Apr 6 2007, 5:16 AM EDT
$2k?!?! serious?
I want one, but that's quite a piece of cheese for a phone...
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Apr 7 2007, 12:09 PM EDT
The Shift isnt a Phone-it is a data centric device that also provides a phone application. It is like a mini PC! It will be expensive but so are PC's. 0  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
Danny_Liwszyc

Danny_Liwszyc
Dec 3 2007, 11:28 PM EST
"The Shift isnt a Phone-it is a data centric device that also provides a phone application. It is like a mini PC! It will be expensive but so are PC's.
It can be used as a mobile phone - I have no idea who is going to pick up the rights (if anyone.) It may be a product that's sold as SIM unlock... Regardless it's going to be pricey - $2k at least."
That it isn't specifically designed as a phone has been hashed and re-hashed time and time again. That is supports the phone networks isn't in question either. Can you use the device as a VOICE phone? All the specs say it doesn't support voice function, that the only reason it has connectivity to one Telco or another is purely for data transfer type apps! It doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense to me for them to build phone functionality in, but then disable the ability to make a voice call on the device! So that is the REAL question: can you make a VOICE call with it? Not that no Telco will support it, not that it's only MEANT for data, but IS IT POSSIBLE to make a voice call with it, one way or another? I want one, but there is little point unless it can also work as a voice phone! 2  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Dec 23 2007, 8:24 PM EST
I completely agree. I was uber excited when I first came across the Shift and thought it was an upgraded Advantage (7500 series). Yay! Major computing powers, GPS, Vista tablet abilities, media abilities, AND a phone! Could it be? Something that I could talk on, write on (as an author that always has to write down ideas on the go), be able to draw with (using the tablet as a sketch pad), compute with, organize tasks/calender with GTD applications, take photos/videos and watch them too with, as well as be a phone??

It seemed too good to be true... until I realized it doesn't have voice capabilities. D:

Considering that officially I am shopping for a phone/pda with the wish of more computing power with my dying PC, I am disappointed.

I just called HTC customer service to ask about phone capabilities and all they told me was to check in January and check this wiki. I'm no tech guru, but it seems as though the ability to get a phone in there is there with the hardware, similar to the Advantage, but they just aren't letting us use it. I don't want a data plan. I want a voice plan and to do my data exchange via wifi, or bluetooth with my desktop. I don't even care if I have to use headphones or bluetooth to use the Shift as a phone. If they would give that capability, they would have me as a buyer.

I have a sneaking suspicion that if I was a hacker I might be able to get phone capabilities. Any hackers out there feeling the Christmas spirit?

4  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Mar 4 2008, 11:59 PM EST
"I completely agree. I was uber excited when I first came across the Shift and thought it was an upgraded Advantage (7500 series). Yay! Major computing powers, GPS, Vista tablet abilities, media abilities, AND a phone! Could it be? Something that I could talk on, write on (as an author that always has to write down ideas on the go), be able to draw with (using the tablet as a sketch pad), compute with, organize tasks/calender with GTD applications, take photos/videos and watch them too with, as well as be a phone??

It seemed too good to be true... until I realized it doesn't have voice capabilities. D:

Considering that officially I am shopping for a phone/pda with the wish of more computing power with my dying PC, I am disappointed.

I just called HTC customer service to ask about phone capabilities and all they told me was to check in January and check this wiki. I'm no tech guru, but it seems as though the ability to get a phone in there is there with the hardware, similar to the Advantage, but they just aren't letting us use it. I don't want a data plan. I want a voice plan and to do my data exchange via wifi, or bluetooth with my desktop. I don't even care if I have to use headphones or bluetooth to use the Shift as a phone. If they would give that capability, they would have me as a buyer.

I have a sneaking suspicion that if I was a hacker I might be able to get phone capabilities. Any hackers out there feeling the Christmas spirit?

"
yep just waiting to get my bladed like hands on one ;) 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jun 5 2008, 1:01 PM EDT
I totally agree with this statement. Actually i have an HTC Advantage -my 6th HTC device- and i was waiting since more than a year for the HTC Shift to buy it but the voice calls restriction is not convincing. With a 7" screen, this device cannot be considered as a laptop. It's a mobile phone with pocket PC capabilities. The question that arises is about the features of this "mobility". I find it absurd to put my SIM card inside the Shift just to send SMS. There is no way to carry a laptop, the Shift, and a phone! by omitting the voice calls feature, HTC is commiting a conceptual error. At least clients need some clarification so they may find a way to resolve this issue. Do you find this valuable?    
babudpoa
babudpoa
Jun 5 2008, 1:40 PM EDT
Guys,
I think the Shift will have voice capabilities, it is simple rumor that it doesnt have, same like what has been told on raphael that it is 4 GB internal memory and no Card slot, today we foudn it it has nothing like that and it has card slot, so beleive me shift will haev voice capabilities.
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
denco7
denco7
Jun 5 2008, 4:31 PM EDT
"Guys,
I think the Shift will have voice capabilities, it is simple rumor that it doesnt have, same like what has been told on raphael that it is 4 GB internal memory and no Card slot, today we foudn it it has nothing like that and it has card slot, so beleive me shift will haev voice capabilities."
No radio , no microphone, no windows mobile = no phone. A small ultra portable laptop with sub par battery life is all that it is. Maybe skype and video conferencing, through an external headset but that will be it.

The Raphael and the Diamond are two different phones. The Raphael will have 256mb and a card slot, the Diamond will have 4GB built in and no card slot.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
WARNING ! China Websites.
Jun 26 2008, 2:27 AM EDT
It's very bad services www.seller008.com and www.viewkoo.com.
They are not a shipping after you payment.
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
RE: WARNING ! China Websites.
Jun 26 2008, 4:40 PM EDT
"It's very bad services www.seller008.com and www.viewkoo.com.
They are not a shipping after you payment."
Wow! Really! Sending your money to China and them not sending you anything ... Believe you me, *I* sure didn't see THAT coming! 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jul 8 2008, 1:18 AM EDT
yes man! the same sh*t happen to me i send payment for 2phones never got reply from there e-mail and never received the goods....and the thing that have me.....i did some re-search on "google" and found the tracking numbers on there web i found it on several other webs such "SCAMMERS!!! this is there DUMBA$$ WEB www.seller008.com, http://www.electronics-mac-sony.com/article.php?id=10,, http://www.electronics-made-china.com/wholesale.php and there said there not related.....not related my a$$ DON'T LET THE PRICES FOOL YAH, OH AND THE CAN REALLY SWEET TALK YAH IN BUYING!!!!! 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
MM12

MM12
Aug 8 2008, 5:45 PM EDT
I played with a Shift yesterday, they have voice capabilites, yes it runs Windows Vista, with apps to run the SIM card (GSM) and/or CDMA capabilities. it runs on AT&Ts 3g network and edge network i surfed the web and played on it just as a real computer. but didn't log on to any wifi or wires. So it has to be the "mobile network" you can see on each side of the "mini computer" screen there are little slots that is for the microphone and the speaker.
MM12
Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Aug 8 2008, 7:08 PM EDT
"I played with a Shift yesterday, they have voice capabilites, yes it runs Windows Vista, with apps to run the SIM card (GSM) and/or CDMA capabilities. it runs on AT&Ts 3g network and edge network i surfed the web and played on it just as a real computer. but didn't log on to any wifi or wires. So it has to be the "mobile network" you can see on each side of the "mini computer" screen there are little slots that is for the microphone and the speaker.
MM12"
if it hasvoice capabilities, how did you make a call, with phone software key pad or with something like skype software? i did see in many youtube videos that you can connect a bluetooth ear piece to hear and speak but that was before the shift was released. did you try that? Do you find this valuable?    
MM12

MM12
Aug 11 2008, 2:30 PM EDT
just watched a co-worker talk on it and it wasn't a headset and then someone else picked up a computer keyboard to make fun of him hold the huge shift to his ear. i didn't look at what application he used for the voice capabilities though. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Dec 5 2008, 7:54 AM EST
"just watched a co-worker talk on it and it wasn't a headset and then someone else picked up a computer keyboard to make fun of him hold the huge shift to his ear. i didn't look at what application he used for the voice capabilities though."
Load skype on the HTC and you have video and phone capability. $6/month anywhere in the US with your own #. Do you find this valuable?    
Site pages
Top Contributors