• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: Comparing the Tilt to the Fuze

Keyword tags: AT&T Fuze Tilt (edit keyword tags)

Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

conch
conch
Comparing the Tilt to the Fuze
Oct 30 2008, 3:58 PM EDT
I just returned another AT&T Tilt phone; just as the last time, I had power problems that forced me to reboot several times a day. Now I'm back using my ancient Samsung phone, waiting for the new AT&T Fuze to come out. Can anyone tell me where I can get a comparison of the two phones? Will the Fuze also be a "free" Wi-Fi phone, that is, will I be able to use it to access hotspots without paying for an unnecessary AT&T data plan each month? 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
wmmiller

wmmiller
RE: Comparing the Tilt to the Fuze
Oct 31 2008, 1:21 PM EDT
I can't point you to a comparison of the two devices. The differences are mostly obvious in the specs: the Fuze has more screen resolution, memory, and processor speed. It has fewer hardware buttons, and it doesn't tilt. Most people online seem to like it a lot, especially those who have had access to a prerelease test version of the Fuze, as opposed to a European or Sprint Touch Pro.

Yes, you will be able to use it on wifi without paying data charges. You may need a third-party program to make sure you don't accidentally use wireless data. You may already have done that with your Tilt, but if not, look for NoData, which is free and works well.
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
conch
conch
Oct 31 2008, 3:22 PM EDT
That's encouraging. Next time I will use the NoData software, to make sure I don't get hooked up to AT&T's broadband service. I didn't use it with the Tilt, figuring that I could manage it, but there were times that the Tilt would go broadband in spite of my best efforts to keep it on Wi-Fi. Do you find this valuable?    
Sgarrela

Sgarrela
Nov 8 2008, 7:05 PM EST
What kind of power problems did you have with your Tilt. Did it freeze? If that was the problem, I had the same problem and finally solved it. Let me know and perhaps I can help. The Tilt is the best phone I've ever had ... after I solved the freezing problem. I'm still looking forward to the Fuze, but I'm always wary of the new models. HTC expects us to be the beta testers and debug team. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Nov 9 2008, 7:41 AM EST
My Tilt(s) didn't really freeze -- they would just quit, with a blank screen, no power. Power On button wouldn't work. Had to remove battery, replace it and then I could power up again. For each phone, the first few days were fine, then the power problem would start up, and by the end of the second week I was removing the battery four or five times a day to keep it working. I agree -- it was a nice phone while it was working, but enough is enough! Now I'm just waiting for the Fuze, using my ancient Samsung D407. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Monday, 12:02 PM EST
"I just returned another AT&T Tilt phone; just as the last time, I had power problems that forced me to reboot several times a day. Now I'm back using my ancient Samsung phone, waiting for the new AT&T Fuze to come out. Can anyone tell me where I can get a comparison of the two phones? Will the Fuze also be a "free" Wi-Fi phone, that is, will I be able to use it to access hotspots without paying for an unnecessary AT&T data plan each month?"
I just went through the same thing; ret'd two TILTs. It's ridiculous. Yes, the FUZE has free WIFI. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Monday, 1:57 PM EST
The Fuze is now available from AT&T but I'm not so sure that it's worth $300. My son just bought the Apple iPod Touch, an MP3 player with Wi-Fi built in. Since it is not a cell phone, there is no "feature" forcing you to have a data plan as a prerequisite for Wi-Fi. But I'm still looking for something that handles both cell phone calls and Wi-Fi at a reasonable price. I can wait a little longer. Do you find this valuable?    
Sgarrela

Sgarrela
Monday, 2:20 PM EST
There is no data plan required by AT&T as a prerequisite for WiFi on the Tilt. I use WiFi on my Tilt all the time with no data plan and no data charges. I know they somehow force a data plan on the i-Phone, but that has nothing to do with the WiFi capability of the unit.

Have they done the same thing with a plan for the Fuze that they did on the i-Phone?
Do you find this valuable?    
denco7
denco7
Monday, 7:00 PM EST
"There is no data plan required by AT&T as a prerequisite for WiFi on the Tilt. I use WiFi on my Tilt all the time with no data plan and no data charges. I know they somehow force a data plan on the i-Phone, but that has nothing to do with the WiFi capability of the unit.

Have they done the same thing with a plan for the Fuze that they did on the i-Phone?"
No , there is no data plan required for the Fuze. Phones are like the fifty different kinds of milk you can get at the market. Fat free, skim, 1% , 2% whole, organic , lactose free , acidopolous (sp) etc. I use my Tilt as a business machine because that is what it does and there is none better.As is the fuze. My wife's iPhone is an entertainment device as as that it has no peer.

I could not even try to imagine running a business from an iPhone, nor could she or my son (ipod touch ) imagine using my phone as an entertainment device.
You realize skim milk is better for you, yea but whole milk tastes better. Not better than 1%, yea but I need lactose free................................................................
cerec

cerec
Yesterday, 5:03 PM EST
"What kind of power problems did you have with your Tilt. Did it freeze? If that was the problem, I had the same problem and finally solved it. Let me know and perhaps I can help. The Tilt is the best phone I've ever had ... after I solved the freezing problem. I'm still looking forward to the Fuze, but I'm always wary of the new models. HTC expects us to be the beta testers and debug team."
Purchased the TILT from AT&T 1-1/2 months ago. The first few weeks worked fine. Then, started acting up (No modification or any additions to the system were done). Freezes were common but easy to reset the phone. One night, turned off the phone and next morning I got a 5-color-striped screen of death. 5 call transfers between AT&T personel an a call to HTC support were not enough to get the phone to work again. I returned the TILT. One of the ATT's told me the tilt has that problem. Am waiting now for the Nokia97 Do you find this valuable?    
cerec

cerec
Yesterday, 5:20 PM EST
"I just returned another AT&T Tilt phone; just as the last time, I had power problems that forced me to reboot several times a day. Now I'm back using my ancient Samsung phone, waiting for the new AT&T Fuze to come out. Can anyone tell me where I can get a comparison of the two phones? Will the Fuze also be a "free" Wi-Fi phone, that is, will I be able to use it to access hotspots without paying for an unnecessary AT&T data plan each month?"
Find a comparison at http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/at-t-tilt/4540-6452_7-32638455-4.html?tag=rnav
The fuze is only $199 at AT&T after a rebate. However. I did not like the looks of the FUZE after comparing it to the TILT although the specs show a superior phone.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
denco7
denco7
Yesterday, 9:32 PM EST
"Purchased the TILT from AT&T 1-1/2 months ago. The first few weeks worked fine. Then, started acting up (No modification or any additions to the system were done). Freezes were common but easy to reset the phone. One night, turned off the phone and next morning I got a 5-color-striped screen of death. 5 call transfers between AT&T personel an a call to HTC support were not enough to get the phone to work again. I returned the TILT. One of the ATT's told me the tilt has that problem. Am waiting now for the Nokia97"
We in Massachusetts have a Lemon Law for defective new autos, the dealers are required to take them back nd replace them with new non defective auto's. Obviously there were enough defective cars to require a law. So it is not just phones that sometimes have serious flaws and need to be exchanged and unfortunately on forums like thus people only post with problems, not praise. So it seems worse than it really is. My Tilt and several Tilt owner friends have had nothing but reliability with our phones. Even though we are constantly customizing , tweaking,changing roms and radios . The Tilt is a great phone.

By the way, the multi colored screen just means the rom has crashed and has to be reflashed. It happened to me. Reflashed the phone, good as new. I have already archived and re-installed the OS on my Mac twice since I bought that, one more than my. phone. The Fuze has more of everything than the Tilt, power, storage, memory. I love what I have seen of it. Just can't give up my tilt screen
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Today, 11:02 AM EST
"...have a Lemon Law for defective new autoslems, not praise. So it seems worse than it really is. My Tilt and several Tilt owner friends have had nothing but reliability with our phones. Even though we are constantly customizing , tweaking,changing roms and radios . The Tilt is a great phone.

By the way, the multi colored screen just means the rom has crashed and has to be reflashed. It happened to me. Reflashed the phone, good as new. I have already archived and re-installed the OS on my Mac twice since I bought that, one more than my. phone. The Fuze has more of everything than the Tilt, power, storage, memory. I love what I have seen of it. Just can't give up my tilt screen"
I agree. I loved that phone. My son and daughter-in-law hve them and have no problems.
You should call the manufacturer HTC. They were not able to help me with the problem. We tried everything. AT&T technicians were also in the dark except that one told me that he had another case with this problem. I returned the phone to AT&T and they gave me a full refund of course.
How do you refresh the ROM? HTC tried a soft and hard reset, Removing Battery, SIM. and pressing a small button inside the tilt and nothing worked. Many owners would like to know what you did the the manunfacturer did not know!
cerec

cerec
Today, 11:37 AM EST
this reply was by cerec

conch
conch
Today, 12:17 PM EST
For $200 I'll give the Fuze a try. Thanks for the heads up. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
MOBYTUBE.NET
Today, 12:38 PM EST
Mobytube is a website developed specifically for mobile display video distributed
online in flv.
With mobytube you can see the video of Youtube, GoogleVideo, Dailymotion.
The operation is very simple: you type in your browser HTTP://www.mobytube.net.
Before starting, click on HELP where there are the istructions.
Bye Bye

0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
denco7
denco7
Today, 4:48 PM EST
"I agree. I loved that phone. My son and daughter-in-law hve them and have no problems.
You should call the manufacturer HTC. They were not able to help me with the problem. We tried everything. AT&T technicians were also in the dark except that one told me that he had another case with this problem. I returned the phone to AT&T and they gave me a full refund of course.
How do you refresh the ROM? HTC tried a soft and hard reset, Removing Battery, SIM. and pressing a small button inside the tilt and nothing worked. Many owners would like to know what you did the the manunfacturer did not know!"
Firstly, it has been my experience that AT$T knows how to sell phones but have no clue whatsoever as to what makes them work. Their answer for everything is " remove the battery " or " do a hard reset " luckily for them this solves most problems. HTC 's standard answer is " needs a new motherboard ". Thank goodness that also fixes most ills. It is pretty much up to forums like this ( not staffed by, but sponsored by HTC ) with people who really know and use the phone everyday to discover fixes for problems HTC and AT$T don't even know about.

Secondly mobytube , do you really think that spamming every thread on this forum is going to get people to go to your crappy site or just piss them off, by the way the software is outdated and doesn't even work.

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)
Site pages
Top Contributors