• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: Garmin Mobile XT problems after upgrading ATT Tilt to WM6.1

Keyword tags: bluetooth sync

Watch

Anonymous
Garmin Mobile XT problems after upgrading ATT Tilt to WM6.1
Oct 16 2008, 12:34 AM EDT
i used to be able to use Garmin Mobile XT before the upgrade;but now, my tilt is having problems searching for satellites. i tried to reinstall the program several times, did soft resets, and was even so desperate as to perform a hard reset, but it still did not work. I know that the GPS is active because i see the flashing orange light, but it cannot seem to detect any satellites at all-this had me wising i did not upgrade to the new ROM. THe newly added functions such as voice command, remote desktop, etc sounded appealing at first, but after all the troubles i've gone through, i think i'll be reverting back to the old, reliable ROM that i had previously. 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
RE: Garmin Mobile XT problems after upgrading ATT Tilt to WM6.1
Oct 16 2008, 6:18 PM EDT
I believe the problem is the chip. I've read where one guy had two tilts and one would sink up fast and the other took forever. He kept returning the bad ones until he got a good one. I've talked to HTC and they said they would be happy to replace the mother board to correct this issue. There may also be an issue with the XT software which I've written Garmin but not received a response. I've found that my tilt will keep searching for satellites even after it sees several strong signals. To check this start Garmin and click on the bars at the top of the screen. It should say com4: com4 ( if it doesn't reload the software and correct this.) Then click on GPS info. It will then show each satellite and how strong the signal is. The chip specs say it should sync up on a cold start within 39 seconds. After it syncs up, if you then turn it off and back on it should sync within ten seconds. I've found that if I don't use it for a while (days) it can take several minutes to sync up which is wrong. QuickGPS does not help Garmin sync up. I've talked to Garmin and they say they don't look for the assisted GPS data provided by QuickGPS. I hope this helps. Do you find this valuable?    
markanthonypr

markanthonypr
Oct 16 2008, 10:29 PM EDT
"i used to be able to use Garmin Mobile XT before the upgrade;but now, my tilt is having problems searching for satellites. i tried to reinstall the program several times, did soft resets, and was even so desperate as to perform a hard reset, but it still did not work. I know that the GPS is active because i see the flashing orange light, but it cannot seem to detect any satellites at all-this had me wising i did not upgrade to the new ROM. THe newly added functions such as voice command, remote desktop, etc sounded appealing at first, but after all the troubles i've gone through, i think i'll be reverting back to the old, reliable ROM that i had previously. "
Are you using an external GPS Reciever? If so, Try two things...
1. Verify that when you PAIRED the GPS with the phone via Bluetooth, you didn't mark the SERIAL box.
2. Go to Bluetooth Settings, find your GPS, MENU>> EDIT and Set GPS to COM6
3. After setting COM6, go to COM PORTS >> MENU >> NEW OUTGOING PORT.... chose your GPS, and TRY with and without the SECURE CONNECTION mark.

Lastly, would be nice if folks didn't post ANONYMOUSE.... Good Luck!
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Oct 17 2008, 4:03 AM EDT
That's odd... I upgraded to 6.1 on alltel and mines seems to be the exact opposite. Before the upgrade I would have to use google maps to prime my gps then once I found some satellites I would close it and open Garmin and it would lock instantly. But since the 6.1 upgrade, all I have to do is open Garmin and I lock onto satellites with like a 4 bar signal strength almost immediately without having to prime it anymore. Mines works a LOT better...and I dont get the "lost satellites" messages anymore while im using it. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Oct 18 2008, 11:56 AM EDT
First time I used this site. I had Garmin help me instal XT. I was able to pair my Garmin GPS 10 (portable receiver) and have use of the maps including voice prompts etc. Do I understand from your comment that you use an internal GPS receiver? By the way I use the HTC6800 on Bell Mobility (Canada). I would love to not have to carry an external GPS receiverWould appreciate any feedback
Regards
Seamus
Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Oct 19 2008, 12:44 PM EDT
Are you able to run your Garmin XT WITHOUT AN EXTERNAL GPS RECEIVER UNIT or can you aquire satelittes with the HTC 6800 on its own.
Thanks in advance.
Seamus
Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Nov 16 2008, 5:03 PM EST
I had the same problem: My GPS in my ATT Tilt worked fine until I upgraded to WM6.1. After installing WM6.1, Google Maps and Live Search kept telling me "GPS receiver not found." The orange light was blinking, but apparently the system couldn't detect the GPS. I tried setting External GPS to Com4 and BAUD rate of 4600, QuickGPS to update satelite positions , and lots of other suggestions and almost gave up. Finally, I found a post on a bulletin board that said, 1) uninstall Google Maps, and Live Search 2) go to Settings>Today>items...and deselect HTC Home 3) reinstall Google Maps and Live Search.
After doing this, Google Maps was able to detect the satelites within seconds! Unfortunately, I still couldn't get Live Search to detect the satelites, but at least now I have a gps capability from my ATT Tilt as long as I have internet service!
Once I got Google Maps to detect satelites, I was able to add HTC to my Today profile and it still worked...Google Maps could still detect my position via GPS.

This may not work for everybody...but it did for me. Good Luck!
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
Site pages
Top Contributors