• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: GPS on a Bell HTC6800

Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

bobparr

bobparr
GPS on a Bell HTC6800
Aug 13 2008, 3:05 PM EDT
I just updated the ROM on my Bell HTC6800 using the kitchen provided by No_Chem. I'm just starting to play with the GPS capabilities and am wondering what port and baud setting is the built-in GPS set at? How can I test to see if the GPS works? I have a copy of TomTom from my old PPC that I plan to install into this phone but I'll obviously need to know what to set the settings in TomTom to. 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
RE: GPS on a Bell HTC6800
Aug 15 2008, 4:04 PM EDT
From what I found out on my 6800, it's on COM4 at 9600 baud. You could use Google Map or BeeLine GPS to try it. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Sep 13 2008, 10:04 PM EDT
Hi, I am quite new with these topics...I have found no upgrade for my Bell HTC6800. My rom is version 2.17.666.2 Can you give me more explanation on the update you made...? What is No_Chem? Thanks in advance. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Sep 15 2008, 11:34 PM EDT
"Hi, I am quite new with these topics...I have found no upgrade for my Bell HTC6800. My rom is version 2.17.666.2 Can you give me more explanation on the update you made...? What is No_Chem? Thanks in advance."
If you hunt around the discussion forums you'll find that there's a lot of bad press about Bell not providing their customers with updates for this phone. Other providers have posted updates for their HTC6800. In addition to these updates, there are those that go under the hood and essentially stitch together updates based on what works, what they like, etc. and put it into a "kitchen" (basically a collection of software for a phone). No_Chem is such a user who's made up a kitchen. Rather than go into details as to what and how to do an upgrade (I consider myself still pretty green), do a lot of reading on this forum as there's a lot of good posts.

Some advice based on my experience:
1. Do an upgrade only if you're somewhat technically inclined: comfortable in installing software, not techno phobic, not afraid you might break something (you get the idea).
2. If you're happy with your phone then don't bother upgrading. People usually upgrade either because they're not happy with how something works (Bluetooth, sound quality/reliability, and no GPS are common complaints about this phone).
3. If you're going to upgrade, be sure you do a full backup and read up on how to restore your phone prior to the upgrade just in case you "brick" (mess up) it.

Good luck!
Do you find this valuable?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)
Site pages
Top Contributors