• A Wetpaint Site
Welcome! This is a website that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Discussion: Limited or no connectivity when using Internet Sharing

Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

Anonymous
Limited or no connectivity when using Internet Sharing
Mar 9 2008, 2:05 PM EDT
I'm using Windows Mobile 6 on a P3600 and when i'm using "internet sharing" over USB i get a warning "limited or no connectivity". Probably because a local IP address is assigned (169.254.*). But how can i change this behaviour? How does my laptop (running with XP) get it's IP address? From the PDA? Is there a DHCP server running on the PDA? Can anybody out there help me out? Thanks in advance! Do you find this valuable?    
browntannis
browntannis
RE: Limited or no connectivity when using Internet Sharing
Mar 9 2008, 3:45 PM EDT
If you are using Internet Sharing, the IP address is coming from the P3600 and the network that it is registered on. If you are using Desktop Passthrough, the IP address is coming from your PC and the network it is connected to and the DHCP server is provided by the carrier that you are connected to.
Please provide the steps that you are taking so that we can determine what you are actuallty doing.
Do you find this valuable?    
hessel

hessel
Mar 9 2008, 4:16 PM EDT
I'm actually using internet sharing to be able to use the internet connection of my HTC P3600 PDA on my laptop when traveling. On the PDA itself I have no problem to connect to the internet. Why isn't working when i'm using the connection from my laptop. Everything seems to work fine except the acquiring of a valid IP address. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Oct 7 2008, 4:41 AM EDT
"I'm actually using internet sharing to be able to use the internet connection of my HTC P3600 PDA on my laptop when traveling. On the PDA itself I have no problem to connect to the internet. Why isn't working when i'm using the connection from my laptop. Everything seems to work fine except the acquiring of a valid IP address."
I have the same issue and I noticed that no default gateway has been assigned to the laptop connection towards the HTC. Any ideas? I can ping the HTC, I have the DHCP enabled, I get an IP for the laptop, but no default gateway and thus I cannot reach the internet. Do you find this valuable?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)
Site pages
Top Contributors