• A Wetpaint Site
Welcome! This is a website that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Discussion: T-Mobile Shadow

Keyword tags: Juno Shadow (edit keyword tags)

Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

scorpiobabe1573

scorpiobabe1573
T-Mobile Shadow
Nov 26 2007, 12:04 PM EST
I have had my phone for a couple of days now, and very much considering into the buyers remorse idea. I am having issues with my battery life. It is not lasting nearly as long as it claims to. Another issue is when texting, there is no DEFAULT able to be set, so it automatically goes into xt9 mode...there really should be a way to set the default for the option used most. Other than that it is a great looking phone...but they really should have sent a spare battery or atleast a second rapid charger. I am on my phone a lot for business as well as personal, and one would need a charged battery to do all that. 3  out of 7 found this valuable. Do you?    
sonofa

sonofa
RE: T-Mobile Shadow
Nov 26 2007, 3:23 PM EST
I too have found the battery life unacceptable. I use wifi a lot and have heard that wifi drains the battery more than regular use. Are you also using the wifi much? 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Nov 26 2007, 4:10 PM EST
I use it cause its there. I text all day long...Phone usage is down to a minimum, because of the battery life...I live on texting and emails. I will tell you, I charged the battery all night and by 3:00 I was down to one pill. Now I know I need to bring my charger where ever I go. I think that we should get a rapid charger and/or car charger as a courtesy. Don't you? 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
chaznet

chaznet
Nov 27 2007, 6:06 AM EST
"I have had my phone for a couple of days now, and very much considering into the buyers remorse idea. I am having issues with my battery life. It is not lasting nearly as long as it claims to. Another issue is when texting, there is no DEFAULT able to be set, so it automatically goes into xt9 mode...there really should be a way to set the default for the option used most. Other than that it is a great looking phone...but they really should have sent a spare battery or atleast a second rapid charger. I am on my phone a lot for business as well as personal, and one would need a charged battery to do all that."
xT9 is great, but you have to give it a week or so to fully understand and appreciate it. You can add words to the already extensive dictionary. It'll also memorize email addresses and internet URL's. Being able to type your telephone number, including area code, with 2 keystrokes is a good thing.

While you can temporarily switch to the alternate 'Multitap' method of hitting a key once or twice to type per-character; it always defaults to xt9 method. The T-Mobile Dash did this as well, however, in the WM6 ROM update it was changed and now remembers your last used setting as the default.

Also, you can configure xt9 by pressing and holding the asterisk key while in text-entry mode -- a menu will come up with an option for 'xt9 Settings'. From here you can configure the level of 'assistance' xt9 provides. You're able to turn on/off:

-Spell Correction
-Next Word Prediction
-Auto Append
-Auto Substitution
-Word Completion
-Multitap Word Completion

As you begin to use it, it learns phrases as you use them and begins to offer them, pressing the center OK button accepts them, or you can continue typing.

Again, you need more than a couple daya -- but once you get the hang of it, it's a great tool.
7  out of 8 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Nov 27 2007, 7:14 AM EST
Thank you so much for the vote of confidence. You knwo something...its hard to change something that you are so used to. Perhaps you can assist me in changing the settings and let me know what shold be checked on the xt9 settings menu. I still like the ABC mode. I dont think I will ever get used to the xt9. 3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
chaznet

chaznet
Nov 27 2007, 12:39 PM EST
"Thank you so much for the vote of confidence. You knwo something...its hard to change something that you are so used to. Perhaps you can assist me in changing the settings and let me know what shold be checked on the xt9 settings menu. I still like the ABC mode. I dont think I will ever get used to the xt9."
The 'best' settings are the ones that work for you. Read the PDF manual, or printed one, regarding the xT9 settings and what they do. Personally, I turned them all on except for 'Multitap Word Completion'. 5  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jan 4 2008, 4:32 PM EST
I agree. I did not care for the xT9 method of data entry and also wish there was a way to default to "alpha" mode without having to hold the "sym" key. Not that old habits are hard to break. Sometimes those habits become old (familiar) to us for reason other than there being an alternative. Good lucks folks. 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jan 7 2008, 4:28 PM EST
Yeah I really hope that there's a simple way to disable the XT9 method of data entry. I use it because sometimes I text in different languages and the language pack is not available for XT9. 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jan 7 2008, 10:55 PM EST
I am having the same problem. I had my last phone, a Sony Ericsson W600, for over two years with the same battery. It still gets better performance.

There has got to be a firmware update coming to resolve this. Right?
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
br8thw8
br8thw8
Jan 8 2008, 9:39 PM EST
There is a solution to the problem with the Shadow defaulting to the xT9 method. Update your version of WM6!

On Nov 27 2007, 12:39 PM EST Chaznet wrote:
While you can temporarily switch to the alternate 'Multitap' method of hitting a key once or twice to type per-character; it always defaults to xt9 method. The T-Mobile Dash did this as well, however, in the WM6 ROM update it was changed and now remembers your last used setting as the default.

It will remember what your last method type was, so if you switch to ABC mode it will be that way then next time you need to enter text.

Check your version of your WM6 OS. Go into Settings then on the second page go into About.
Mine works and it my version is: CE OS 5.2.1711 (Build 18165.0.5.0)

If you don't have the latest OS then go into Windows Update and see if you are set for Automatic (which is how mine is setup) or Manual. If you have it set to Manual then you will have to be responsible to check for updates and load them.
It is easier to have it set to Auto.

Also, about the battery life. I use mine all the time and it pretty much lasts all day but I do usually plug it in about once a day and always overnight, When you very first get your phone you should run the battery down completely before charging it for the first time! Then for your first time charging make sure you charge it to 100%. Good luck!
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
davmay

davmay
Jan 23 2008, 10:31 AM EST
I have the latest OS and mine still defaults back to xt9 after changing to abc. Is there a trick I'm mssing? 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jan 25 2008, 1:32 AM EST
"I have the latest OS and mine still defaults back to xt9 after changing to abc. Is there a trick I'm mssing?"
Nope the latest OS version has nothing todo with xt9 mode of operation. Default is default and the only option known to date is manually pressing * while in text mode. 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jan 25 2008, 1:39 AM EST
[i]Also, about the battery life. I use mine all the time and it pretty much lasts all day but I do usually plug it in about once a day and always overnight, When you very first get your phone you should run the battery down completely before charging it for the first time! Then for your first time charging make sure you charge it to 100%. Good luck![/i]

Lithium Polymer Batteries do NOT need to be discharged completely first (if even you knew what you were saying!!!) DO NOT DO THIS
They do NOT have memory (effect) like older technology batteries do. They do need many (>10) charge cycles put on them before they begin to give their best. Discharging them fully only shortens their limited life expectancy.
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Apr 23 2008, 9:40 PM EDT
is the phone worth it for the price? 1  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jun 24 2008, 2:05 PM EDT
The battery life for my phone has gotten a ton better since the first week. Give it a chance :) Keep WiFi and other communications turned off unless you are using them.

I don't like the xt9 at all, everytime I type "dont" it turns to "font" and no matter how many times I try to "accept" dont over font, it still uses font. There are other words that peeve me but otherwise I really like the shadow :)
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)
Top Contributors