• A Wetpaint Site
Welcome! This is a website that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Discussion: Bluetooth Tethering on a Mac

Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

2  | Next
soko911

soko911
Bluetooth Tethering on a Mac
Nov 9 2007, 4:08 PM EST
I'm hoping that someone can help me. I bought the AT&T Tilt in order to tether it to my Macbook Pro when I'm on the road. However, I'm having some issues that neither the Apple "geniuses" nor AT&T store clerks or tech support could figure out.

My Mac paired with the phone no problem, but for some reason it doesn't recognize the phone as a modem when connected via Bluetooth, nor does the Tilt register as a device at all when plugged in via a USB cable.

Intomobile.com had some literature on Bluetooth tethering (www.intomobile.com/2007/03/14/bluetooth-tethering-for-mac-os-x.html), and I followed the instructions to the letter, including installing the suggested modem scripts, but it didn't work.

AT&T phone tech support called HTC, and they said they don't support Macs -- THANK YOU MISTER AT&T SALESMAN GUY FOR BEING INFORMED!! -- and pointed me to this forum.

So. I know you guys like challenges. Have at it!!

5  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    
Visorblue
Visorblue
RE: Bluetooth Tethering on a Mac
Nov 9 2007, 5:09 PM EST
You might want to log into the AT&T forum as well on this.

http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/board?board.id=cingular

I did a search there for "tethering a MacBook" and one not specific Tilt answer:

"I just got it to work through USB on my blackjack.

I have OS 10.4.8

download Ross Barkmans Generic 3G scripts
http://www.taniwha.org.uk/files/Generic3G2004-09.sit
extract the .sit
move 'Generic 3G CID1' to /Library/Modem Scripts/
set the phones USB mode to modem, then connect

Open the control Panel, and choose network
choose 'SAMSUNG CDMA Technologies' in the Show menu
choose the modem tab
choose 'Generic 3G CID1' in the modem menu
choose the ppp tab
Service Provider: Cingular
Account Name: [email protected]
Password: CINGULAR1
Telephone Number: isp.cingular

I am in an EDGE network, and Firefox will sustain a 20KBytes/sec download.
Note the on a mac the phone number is NOT *99#, it is 'isp.cingular' "

Good luck!
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Nov 9 2007, 8:59 PM EST
I can't speak for a MAC, but for my PC with MS Activesync 4.5, it's pretty easy. On the Tilt, go to programs, tools, file explorer, and click on internet sharing. Make sure it is set to USB or Bluetooth (mine works on USB), and select MediaNET. Plug the phone into your laptop via usb (or make sure it is already paired with the bluetooth), and on the internet sharing page hit connect. Give it a sec, and you should be connected. This may not work as well for a mac, but if you can translate the PC steps into mac lingo, you're golden. Not sure what sync software mac uses, but ActiveSync has the drivers included that allow you to connect. Either way, good luck. HTC gave me all this info. 1  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    
Visorblue
Visorblue
Nov 9 2007, 9:22 PM EST
Out of the box the Tilt is not Mac compatible (unless you're running Bootcamp or Parallels) and does not come with a Mac sync app. You need to get either PocketMac (http://www.pocketmac.net/products/pmforwm5_6/index.html) or Missing Sync for Windows Mobile (http://www.markspace.com/missingsync_windowsmobile.php) to do data syncing -- I recommend Missing Sync. However, I don't think either allow for using the Tilt as a modem, Missing Sync will allow the Tilt to access the Mac's internet connection but not the other way around. 1  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Nov 11 2007, 10:49 PM EST
What do you do on the PC side? I presume that you need to identify the Tilt as a modem. If so, what is the model, settings, etc.? 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Nov 12 2007, 5:49 AM EST
Scratch the question on the PC side. I ran MS Activesync and that provides the connection. It runs smoothly and fast. This is an excellent aspect of the Tilt. Thanks for the advice on using the Internet File Sharing program. 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Nov 27 2007, 12:23 PM EST
HTC (or rather Dopod in Hong Kong) told me that my D810 (HTC Trinity) was not compatible with Mac OS for use as a modem. However, I am using it now to post this, so there is clearly plenty that they don't know. I cannot speak for the Tilt (TyTN II), but this may work for it too. Make sure that you are running the latest patches for Mac OS X 10.4 and then start the program called "Internet Sharing" on the PDA. You should allow it to make itself discoverable. Then try pairing over bluetooth. You should find that your Mac identifies the HTC as providing a PAN. I haven't managed to get the Mac to recognise the HTC over USB though. Maybe I will try again following the guidance from Visorblue.

Incidentally, if you find that bluetooth regularly drops your connection, then you may have a problem with your Mac hardware. Apparently a lot of the latest Mac laptops have twisted cables that cause interference for bluetooth.
2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
cgapperi

cgapperi
Dec 7 2007, 5:40 PM EST
So, I am currently tethered to my Tilt. Here is my configuration:

1) Missing Sync for Windows Mobile 4.0.1 (421) - not sure if this is necessary.
2) Loaded above mentioned modem scripts - not sure if necessary.
3) Paired with the device and said to use it as a network connection (bluetooth status in menu)
4) Open Internet Sharing app (File Manager > Windows >)
5) Set to PC Connection to Bluetooth PAN and connected
6) In the bluetooth menu, select "Join from ..."

That's all there is too it. As to the above steps 1 and 2, am going to uninstall and see if I can still connect.

3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
cgapperi

cgapperi
Dec 8 2007, 11:36 AM EST
Forgot to point out that when I paired the device it asked me for the login information for connecting. I used the following:

Account Name: [email protected]
Password: CINGULAR1
Telephone Number: isp.cingular

and set the modem script to be Generic 3G CID 1

C
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Dec 23 2007, 1:50 AM EST
"So, I am currently tethered to my Tilt. Here is my configuration:

1) Missing Sync for Windows Mobile 4.0.1 (421) - not sure if this is necessary.
2) Loaded above mentioned modem scripts - not sure if necessary.
3) Paired with the device and said to use it as a network connection (bluetooth status in menu)
4) Open Internet Sharing app (File Manager > Windows >)
5) Set to PC Connection to Bluetooth PAN and connected
6) In the bluetooth menu, select "Join from ..."

That's all there is too it. As to the above steps 1 and 2, am going to uninstall and see if I can still connect.

"
Thanks! This is by far the simplest method because on the Mac side of the equation it requires little besides pairing the two devices. I didn't have the Missing Sync installed, nor did I install any additional modem scripts. I was however using OSX 10.5.1. I simply followed steps 3-6 above and I was in business.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Dec 31 2007, 10:43 PM EST
How did you pair the mac and the tilt using the usb? I have not been successful and like you could get no help from At &t.
What did you use for account name and password in the 'setting up a telephone modem connection' window? Also what modem should I select in the set up your modem window? Thank you!!
Do you find this valuable?    
cgapperi

cgapperi
Jan 1 2008, 12:38 PM EST
Great! Thanks for saving me the trouble of uninstalling Missing Sync in answer to the question. Was reluctant to mess with a good thing. Do you find this valuable?    
cgapperi

cgapperi
Jan 1 2008, 12:39 PM EST
I am not tethering via USB. This thread was about tethering via bluetooth. Haven't tried the USB route. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Jan 5 2008, 4:14 PM EST
click on the bluetooth icon in OS 10.5 and set up a bluetooth device. Note: select "any device"

Make your phone discoverable, connect to it via clicking the blue the bluetooth icon and selecting the device you just added.
ir803
ir803
Jan 16 2008, 7:46 AM EST
my head will explode if I don't get this to work soon. I have a tilt - AKA Vodafone 1615. I had a palm treo 750v (with WM6) it had bugs running WM6 so they suggested I change to the tilt. I have followed re- followed, hard reset, installed various app to my tilt and macbook, and STILL have got knowhere. I am now at th epoint where I pair my tilt with my macbook OSX 10.5.1 and where as before I just got a personal network (which although connected would not pick up an internet connection) now I only get OBEX Object push ??!!??
Why is this so hard to sort out? on my Palm Treo's the first running WM5 then upgraded to the new version running WM6 both paired with my Ibook then my new macbook perfectly - use this connection for internet - listed in bluetooth services as Dial-up Networking, all I then had to do was type in my Vodafone settings, user - web, password - web, and phone number - internet, set the modem to a treo-3G script I downloaded and then in the top bar on the desktop click the phone icon and click connect to bluetooth and it connected perfectly. Now how come it is SOOOO hard with the tilt ??
srizvi1

srizvi1
Jan 16 2008, 9:26 AM EST
I just got my HTC Touch yesterday, but for Sprint. I'm a Mac Person though and hoping to use my HTC Touch for Tethering. I have PocketMac though, not Missing Sync. I do have Parallels. And I'd be open for bluetooth or USB Tethering (is either faster and/or more stable)? Do you find this valuable?    
gronnie
gronnie
Jan 16 2008, 1:01 PM EST
ir803, you do not need any special software to get this working. These new WM6 devices no longer use Dial-up Networking and instead use the new "Internet Sharing" to make the process easier. Here is roughly what you need to do:

1) Pair the devices with Bluetooth
2) Locate the "Internet Sharing" app on your Tilt
3) Enable Internet Sharing for Bluetooth PAN in this application
4) On the Mac, find the Bluetooth icon in the menu bar and select "Join Personal Area Network on..." or something similar to that

You should be connected! Past this, make sure you have a data plan with your provider and they have enabled whatever tethering feature you may need. Some providers have different settings for tethering than for browsing on the handset so you may need to enter these (on the phone).

Hope that helps!
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jan 16 2008, 1:29 PM EST
Thanks, gronnie. Took the words right out of my mouth.

C

Anonymous
Jan 16 2008, 7:05 PM EST
"ir803, you do not need any special software to get this working. These new WM6 devices no longer use Dial-up Networking and instead use the new "Internet Sharing" to make the process easier. Here is roughly what you need to do:

1) Pair the devices with Bluetooth
2) Locate the "Internet Sharing" app on your Tilt
3) Enable Internet Sharing for Bluetooth PAN in this application
4) On the Mac, find the Bluetooth icon in the menu bar and select "Join Personal Area Network on..." or something similar to that

You should be connected! Past this, make sure you have a data plan with your provider and they have enabled whatever tethering feature you may need. Some providers have different settings for tethering than for browsing on the handset so you may need to enter these (on the phone).

Hope that helps!"
I have followedthese same instructions on various forums and I can get the network connection to connect but there is still no internet connection. I have tested it out with different combinations of vodafone settings as well as with different modem scripts. the farthest I have now got is finding a cab file to re enable DUN on my WM6 tilt as it seems this feature was removed and replaced with the afore mentioned internet sharing which seems to be a knightmare for a lot of people on macs especially running OSX 10.5.1 leopard. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
gronnie
gronnie
Jan 16 2008, 8:57 PM EST
Just to be sure we're on the same page... when you talk about different settings and scripts, what do you mean by that? This solution of the Mac and Tilt requires no software, no scripts, and no configuration on the Mac outside of bluetooth pairing. You should never have to choose a script or enter *99# or anything. I'm a Mac owner as well so I'm familiar with this setup. It's simply pair and connect Bluetooth PAN.

A couple questions to help get this going...
1) When enabling Internet Sharing on your Tilt, what are you choosing in the Network Connection (or Access Point) field?
2) When you join the network from the Bluetooth icon, does it say "Disconnect from <DEVICE>" in that same menu now?
3) When you're connected, if you go to Apple Menu -> System Preferences -> Network does it have an entry for Bluetooth PAN (you may have to choose Network Status from the Show drop down) there which shows something along the lines of "Bluetooth PAN is currently active and has the IP address...." ?
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
2  | Next

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)
Top Contributors