• A Wetpaint Site
Welcome! This is a website that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Discussion: TILT GPS Supported Software

Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

2 3 4 5  | Next > Last
LANGuru
LANGuru
TILT GPS Supported Software
Oct 12 2007, 12:37 PM EDT
Besides TeleNav, what apps are out there that can use this GPS chip? 18  out of 20 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
RE: TILT GPS Supported Software
Oct 12 2007, 9:35 PM EDT
I have used mapopolis and tom tom. As far as i know you can use any program as long as you set it up correctly. 5  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    
bbbwey

bbbwey
Oct 13 2007, 12:25 PM EDT
There is something calle Quick GPS.... What does it do, and should I care? I would really like GPS, but i'm not eager to pay $10 a month. Thanks. 3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
GDunham

GDunham
Oct 13 2007, 1:23 PM EDT
I have used the HP GPS software (made by Navteq, release version 2.1.2731NA), which works great. In this way there are no monthly fees, and I believe the response time is faster because the maps and POI data are stored on the microSD card... the software has a big outlay (approx $150 -200). 4  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
GDunham

GDunham
Oct 13 2007, 1:28 PM EDT
"There is something calle Quick GPS.... What does it do, and should I care? I would really like GPS, but i'm not eager to pay $10 a month. Thanks."
Quick GPS downloads from the web info on satelitte positions and trajectories so your GPS receiver can located satellites much more quickly. Other GPS software( like Hew.Pack. Navteq software) also uses 'quick GPS' files. Look for a GPS standalone software to avoid telenav fees, although the initial software outlay may equate to 1.5 years of telenav service fees... 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
bbbwey

bbbwey
Oct 13 2007, 2:32 PM EDT
Hmmm... first, thanks for the reply!
I can research this I'm sure, but you seem to know all about it. Is there a good reason to buy the software rather than subscribe to Telenav? I'm pretty sure that Tomtom will install as well. If i do a Telenav subscription, will i lose service when I'm out of the US? Is that one of the advantages of buying software, or is global GPS a different and bigger fish altogether. My car doesn't have it built in, and no previous phone had GPS. Coming to this late. Thanks!
Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Oct 13 2007, 5:36 PM EDT
If you are in a good area for 3G and have unlimited data, then use Google Maps. If you point your Tilt browser to google.com and click on the link that says something like Gmail, maps and more... you will find the download. 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
bbbwey

bbbwey
Oct 13 2007, 8:23 PM EDT
"If you are in a good area for 3G and have unlimited data, then use Google Maps. If you point your Tilt browser to google.com and click on the link that says something like Gmail, maps and more... you will find the download. "
I have no trouble getting Google Maps and have used it quite happily (although it's not perfect). It was my first thought.
The GPS page, however, says that it is only compatible with Windows Mobile 5. Sort of sucks since the 8525 didn't have gps but did have WM5. Funny in a way.

I just did a little reading and find that gps seems to be a regional deal. If i wanted to use it in Asia, i would have to subscribe to a different service I guess. Suppose I'd better go to wikipedia and really study up. Thanks, by the way!
Do you find this valuable?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
Oct 13 2007, 10:44 PM EDT
There are several GPS options out in the marketplace:

1) TomTom 6 - This is a nice application too, but one of the things I don't like is that it doesn't tell you which side of the street your destination is.
2) iGuidance V4 - This one is nice since it has TTS (Text-to-Speech), but unfortunately requires at least a 2 GB memory card since it loads maps for the whole U.S. I am using version 2, which lets me load specific states instead of all the maps.
3) OnCourse Navigator 6. I've heard this is good, but the maps can be a little inaccurate.
4) Destinator is another piece of software, but I haven't had any experience with it.
20  out of 20 found this valuable. Do you?    
LANGuru
LANGuru
Oct 14 2007, 12:46 PM EDT
"If you are in a good area for 3G and have unlimited data, then use Google Maps. If you point your Tilt browser to google.com and click on the link that says something like Gmail, maps and more... you will find the download. "
Interesting, I have been able to get both DeLorme Handheld 2007 and Live Search to locate me, inital GPS fix after QuickFix takes 5-6 seconds, but Google Maps never acknowledged the GPS on my box stock Tilt. For what I need, the TomTom for Kaiser and the Live Search cover it nicely and neither are storage hogs. Do you find this valuable?    
Visorblue
Visorblue
Oct 14 2007, 8:54 PM EDT
My understanding of Telenav is that it uses the cell network in order to work. If you go somewhere that there's no signal (roaming, et al.) then TeleNav stops working. Seems like when you have the most chance of getting lost you're out of luck. My previous phone is a HP 6515 and I use Mapopolis (closed up shop) and Google Maps. As soon as I get a microSD card (debating on 2GB or 4GB) I plan to install Mapopolis on it to test. May switch to TomTom.

As far as being outside of the U.S., I have no idea about Telenav but with a stand alone application as long as you have maps for the country you're in you should be fine.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
bbbwey

bbbwey
Oct 14 2007, 9:50 PM EDT
Thanks. That's very helpful. It's about what I've been discovering. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Oct 15 2007, 8:47 AM EDT
another vote for Google maps....works great!
D.
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
bbbwey

bbbwey
Oct 15 2007, 10:06 AM EDT
"another vote for Google maps....works great!
D."
but not with GPS on the Tile, right???? Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Oct 15 2007, 3:35 PM EDT
I use Wayfinder and Google Maps 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Jim_R

Jim_R
Oct 15 2007, 4:18 PM EDT
"but not with GPS on the Tile, right????"
Google Maps works fine with the GPS on the TILT. Just be certain you first use Quick GPS and do a file download, before running the Google Maps software. After running Google Maps, enable track position. 3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
bbbwey

bbbwey
Oct 15 2007, 5:05 PM EDT
"Google Maps works fine with the GPS on the TILT. Just be certain you first use Quick GPS and do a file download, before running the Google Maps software. After running Google Maps, enable track position."
It sure didn't work for me - even after running Quick GPS. Maybe i don't know what you mean by "file download"? Thanks! 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
Oct 15 2007, 5:22 PM EDT
"Google Maps works fine with the GPS on the TILT. Just be certain you first use Quick GPS and do a file download, before running the Google Maps software. After running Google Maps, enable track position."
You don't need to use Quick GPS to run Google Maps, it just helps it to track faster. Otherwise, if you just set the GPS on Google Maps, it will track on your location fine. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
Oct 15 2007, 5:24 PM EDT
"It sure didn't work for me - even after running Quick GPS. Maybe i don't know what you mean by "file download"? Thanks!"
Just to make sure, did you install the Google Maps Mobile application on your Tilt? If not, you can get it at www.google.com/gmm. It's a .CAB file, so you will have to save it directly to your Tilt and open the application from there. Once in Google Maps, you need to goto Menu\Options\Track Location Settings. Here, you can have the Tilt automatically set the COM port and Baud rate for the GPS, or just do it manually by setting it to COM4 and 9600 Baud, which is the correct setting. 9  out of 9 found this valuable. Do you?    
bbbwey

bbbwey
Oct 15 2007, 6:38 PM EDT
"Just to make sure, did you install the Google Maps Mobile application on your Tilt? If not, you can get it at www.google.com/gmm. It's a .CAB file, so you will have to save it directly to your Tilt and open the application from there. Once in Google Maps, you need to goto Menu\Options\Track Location Settings. Here, you can have the Tilt automatically set the COM port and Baud rate for the GPS, or just do it manually by setting it to COM4 and 9600 Baud, which is the correct setting."
Sorry to be a slow child, but one of two things happens. If I tell Google MM to let Windows do the settings (Using "Extermal GPS" control panel and selecting Program Comm Port 4), i get a "looking for satellite" message that doesn't find anything. If I take your suggestion and set port to comm4 manually and select 9600 baud, i get an "initializing GPS" message that results in a "your gps is not responding" message. Do i need to be in the middle of an open field by chance? Good lightning magnet i assume. Thanks for any help. If you know a good help source, would happily ask someone else. Thanks again so much. 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
2 3 4 5  | Next > Last

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)
Top Contributors