• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: Free GPSThis is a featured thread

jorde26

jorde26
Free GPS
Jul 29 2008, 5:30 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 29 2008, 5:30 PM EDT
Do i need to have the at&t internet service to be able to work a free gps program? Does the internet explorer need to be on in order to get them to work? THX
12  out of 13 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
1. RE: Free GPS
Aug 3 2008, 7:06 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 3 2008, 7:06 PM EDT
I use Microsoft's live search service its free but you do need to pay for the ATT data plan for it to get maps. If your phone has a built in gps receiver, the gps signals are free. Without the data plan, you may be able to utilize Microsoft maps for the pc and download regional maps to your device.
6  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
2. RE: Free GPS
Aug 27 2008, 12:09 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 27 2008, 12:09 PM EDT
If you have WIFI available, you do not need ATT medianet or their internet service. Make sure you go into the connections and disable Medanet or else you could be charged. You need to configure your WIFI to be able to use the internet. Google maps is also free, no need to use their NAV software either.
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
3. RE: Free GPS
Sep 1 2008, 12:39 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 1 2008, 12:39 AM EDT
I have a Cingular 8125 using a bluetooth GPS locator. Installed on the Wizard I have Google map, and windows live map search thing. It is interesting in that you speak what your looking for and it comes up with a list of possibilities which it will map from your location to, or call them up if it has a number.

But, I am cheap. Last billing period I was not paying close attention to the wizard and noticed it was/had been connected to GPRS for an unknown period of time. AT$T kindly added $40.00 to my bill. Nice for nothing. I use the wizard net stuff on WiFi which has a hot spot nearly everywhere I stop and take a look at it. And, often catch its nice fast message "connecting to GPRS (cancel). And you have to be fast to cancel it.

So, what to do? Pay a ridiculous fee whenever the map ware thinks it needs to peg the net instead of use the cache (winlivemap configured for a less than generous 128Mb on the storage card still pegs the net if you zoom or move around.

I just found this free item Mobile GMaps you can download here http://wap.mgmaps.com/ and read more about here http://www.mgmaps.com/ from what it says, you can download the map tiles you need and go about your merry way. Using the maps offline.

I have just downloaded the program. I will give it a couple of days and try to get back to this wiki with results. Other user comments made it sound like just what I had been looking for.
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
CrowdedCranium
CrowdedCranium
4. RE: Free GPS
Sep 1 2008, 12:41 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 1 2008, 12:41 AM EDT
"I have a Cingular 8125 using a bluetooth GPS locator. Installed on the Wizard I have Google map, and windows live map search thing. It is interesting in that you speak what your looking for and it comes up with a list of possibilities which it will map from your location to, or call them up if it has a number.

But, I am cheap. Last billing period I was not paying close attention to the wizard and noticed it was/had been connected to GPRS for an unknown period of time. AT$T kindly added $40.00 to my bill. Nice for nothing. I use the wizard net stuff on WiFi which has a hot spot nearly everywhere I stop and take a look at it. And, often catch its nice fast message "connecting to GPRS (cancel). And you have to be fast to cancel it.

So, what to do? Pay a ridiculous fee whenever the map ware thinks it needs to peg the net instead of use the cache (winlivemap configured for a less than generous 128Mb on the storage card still pegs the net if you zoom or move around.

I just found this free item Mobile GMaps you can download here http://wap.mgmaps.com/ and read more about here http://www.mgmaps.com/ from what it says, you can download the map tiles you need and go about your merry way. Using the maps offline.

I have just downloaded the program. I will give it a couple of days and try to get back to this wiki with results. Other user comments made it sound like just what I had been looking for."
Darn forgot to login first.
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
shimano

shimano
5. RE: Free GPS
Jan 15 2009, 9:01 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 15 2009, 9:01 PM EST
Got garmin mobile xt installed in my T8282 and guess what!?..its free and i can navigate any where i want and can view maps easily.
Do you find this valuable?    
AussieMatt

AussieMatt
6. RE: Free GPS
Feb 15 2009, 8:27 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 15 2009, 8:27 AM EST
"Got garmin mobile xt installed in my T8282 and guess what!?..its free and i can navigate any where i want and can view maps easily."
How did you manage that, can you link a site please.
I have just got a t8282 from china and didn't check to see if i got the CD in the contents.
Take it back home to Australia and having trouble finding free good software for it,
denco7
denco7
7. RE: Free GPS
Feb 15 2009, 8:45 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 15 2009, 8:45 AM EST
"How did you manage that, can you link a site please.
I have just got a t8282 from china and didn't check to see if i got the CD in the contents.
Take it back home to Australia and having trouble finding free good software for it,"
Garmin is pay software ,as are the maps , some phone dealers license it and include it on their phones. Otherwise it can be bought at https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=11413

Just a note to all, asking for or posting warez is against forum rules and will result in a ban. Thanks

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)