• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: Wi-Fi ConnectionsThis is a featured thread

tefoo
tefoo
Wi-Fi Connections
Feb 27 2009, 8:57 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 27 2009, 8:57 AM EST
HI,

I've recently bought an HTC Touch HD and i'm having some problems when trying to connect to a Wi-Fi connection. The device recognizes the avaliable connections and even connects to them. The status on Network Connections is shown as "connected", but when i try to use the internet, either Opera or Internet Explorer browsers fail to connect and a warning message tells me that 'im not connected.

Does anyone here have had this problem, or something like it ?
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: connection fail Wi-fi
Morli

Morli
1. RE: Wi-Fi Connections
Mar 4 2009, 12:02 AM EST | Post edited: Mar 4 2009, 12:02 AM EST
It maybe because the HD is using your carrier signal before the wifi. On the homescreen tap the top of the screen after trying to log on. This should bring up a different screen. Here tap on the symbol that looks like a mast with 2 opposing horizontal arrows although the arrows may sometimes be missing. This should return you to the homescreen then bring up a bubble that shows if you are connected to the internet and how. Here you may see that you are connected to your wifi and also through your carriers signal. You should have the option to disconnect. Do this and you should now only be connected to your wifi. This may also work on the browser screen if you tap the screen to bring up the address bar, then tap the top of the screen. Also try a search which should appear under the address bar when you are given the warning that your not connected by tapping the screen then the address bar. enter google hear or the like and try searching, for some reason this somtimes brings up the internet. Be sure when you are on google to scroll down to the bottom and change the view from mobile to classic so that you may have the same view as your pc. this option can also be called html or desktop view on some sites. this is because the site can detect it is being viewed on a mobile or cell phone as the case may be and shows the wap version as default. Hope this helps.
Do you find this valuable?    
tefoo
tefoo
2. RE: Wi-Fi Connections
Mar 4 2009, 3:07 PM EST | Post edited: Mar 4 2009, 3:07 PM EST
Ok, I undestood !

I'll try and i'll let you know if it works !

Thanks !

:D
Morli

Morli
3. RE: Wi-Fi Connections
Mar 5 2009, 12:09 AM EST | Post edited: Mar 5 2009, 12:09 AM EST
Hope the instructions are not to hard to follow. Just read them again and they are not the most clear i have ever seen. You'll get it.
tefoo
tefoo
4. RE: Wi-Fi Connections
Mar 6 2009, 2:19 PM EST | Post edited: Mar 6 2009, 2:19 PM EST
Morli,

I did exactly as you said and it worked just fine. After conncet to the wifi connection, i turned off the phone connection and then the browser started to "use" the wifi connection !

Thanks !

:D
Morli

Morli
5. RE: Wi-Fi Connections
Mar 6 2009, 5:43 PM EST | Post edited: Mar 6 2009, 5:43 PM EST
Hi Tefoo,
Glad to hear it all worked out. It's a great phone, although there can be some silly little things like the wifi. Once you overcome them you will find it's packed with loads of features. It's what the iPhone wishes it was. I have both which is why I can say that. If there is ever anything else I can help with I will try my best.
Take care and thanks for letting me know. It means that my efforts weren't in vain.

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)