• A Wetpaint Site

denco7 |

i had the question about the text tone

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

bluesmcgoose
bluesmcgoose
i had the question about the text tone
Jul 13 2008, 1:18 PM EDT
Ok... I know that i sound like a complete idiot by not understanding anything, but i just am not good with computers at all really... especially not this phone... it is way too advanced for me more than likely... All i want to do with it is set a stupid text tone... if you could explain to me what soft reset means and how to do it, i would appreciate it so much! 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
denco7
denco7
RE: i had the question about the text tone
Jul 14 2008, 6:25 AM EDT
There is a little hole at the bottom of the phone. Insert your stylus and this will reset the phone. You should always do a soft reset after installing anything on your phone. Do you find this valuable?    
bluesmcgoose
bluesmcgoose
Jul 14 2008, 7:11 PM EDT
i did that... now it seems my phone keeps blacking out on me... it is on but the screen won't come on until i turn it off and back on... is that normal? also i turned the song into a .wav file put it in windows media and put it on my phone... it still wouldn't work... then i went back to my phone and found that it wasn't in that format on my phone... will windows media change it on my phone? and one more question... sorry... but will the soft reset make anything look any diffrent on my phone? everything is the same so i don't know if it even worked? Do you find this valuable?    
denco7
denco7
Jul 15 2008, 6:48 AM EDT
"i did that... now it seems my phone keeps blacking out on me... it is on but the screen won't come on until i turn it off and back on... is that normal? also i turned the song into a .wav file put it in windows media and put it on my phone... it still wouldn't work... then i went back to my phone and found that it wasn't in that format on my phone... will windows media change it on my phone? and one more question... sorry... but will the soft reset make anything look any diffrent on my phone? everything is the same so i don't know if it even worked?"
Okay a soft reset just , just shuts down the phone and reloads all the programs, it is like pressing the restart on your computer. It should not cause a problem starting your phone, is it still doing it?

You need to verify that it is a wav file and not a windows media document, It also cannot be larger than 21kb to be used as a tone. Sorry about the time lags, work is hectic all of a sudden and I only get to this board lately at nights or early mornings.
Do you find this valuable?    
bluesmcgoose
bluesmcgoose
Jul 18 2008, 2:26 PM EDT
It is still doing it... i don't know what is going on with it, but i'm sure i'll figure it out... thank you for your help Do you find this valuable?    
bluesmcgoose
bluesmcgoose
Jul 18 2008, 2:28 PM EDT
ok.. for some reason the screen went completely white and just started vibrating and wouldn't stop... does this sound like a fimiliar problem at all? Do you find this valuable?    
denco7
denco7
Jul 18 2008, 6:49 PM EDT
"ok.. for some reason the screen went completely white and just started vibrating and wouldn't stop... does this sound like a fimiliar problem at all?"
Yes I have heard of this happening and for no reason, Some people have just taken the battery out for a couple of minutes and it did not happen again.
When I start having the one problem after another, I just do a hard reset and start over again. It clears everything out of the phone ( including data so backup first ) and you just start over like it was brand new out of the box. Usually any unexplained problem goes away.
bluesmcgoose
bluesmcgoose
Jul 19 2008, 6:54 PM EDT
how do i back everything up? like pull it off and save it to my computer? and how do i do a hard reset? i just have no idea how to do these things... I'm sorry I have been so much trouble Do you find this valuable?    
denco7
denco7
Jul 19 2008, 9:14 PM EDT
"how do i back everything up? like pull it off and save it to my computer? and how do i do a hard reset? i just have no idea how to do these things... I'm sorry I have been so much trouble"
No worries, this is how you learn. If you can get into your programs, use sprite backup. It is a good backup program that comes with the phone. And it takes you step by step.

To do a hard reset , press the two soft keys ( the two keys with the - on them to the inside of the red and green phone buttons ) While holding these down , take your stylus and do a soft reset ( insert in the little hole to on the bottom of the phone ). The phone will reset to a white screen with directions to proceed. Release the soft keys and follow the directions. If you do not get to this screen, try again, it may be tricky to hold the sokt keys firmly down while soft resetting. This will clear your phone of anything nasty that maybe affectting it.

I try a lot of customization and downloads on my phone and every once in awhile I mess it up . A hard reset usually cures it, I've done it three times this year already. Always start with a soft reset or take the battery out and wait and reinsert it and then as a last resort do a hard reset.

But as I said, you will lose everything !!!, so back up everything you will miss. Sprite back up backs up to a storage card, your storage card is not affected by a reset. If you do not have a storage card, you will need to install Active Sync 4.5 onto your pc, plug your phone into your pc with a usb cable and sync all your data to your computer
bluesmcgoose
bluesmcgoose
Jul 21 2008, 2:15 PM EDT
ok i tiried this butmy phone absoulely will not come back on... for a few days now it has been coming on and trying to reboot and then dying again, although the battery is not low... i had been able to get it back on by plugging it into the charger and now that won't even fix it... it comes on on its own accord, then shuts back off... i can get it to do nothing, so i tried to just do trhe hard reset without backing everything up and still nothing happens? Do you find this valuable?    
denco7
denco7
Jul 21 2008, 6:08 PM EDT
Sorry about all your problems, I know how frustrating it must be for you. A hard reset is pretty much the last resort, without getting into reflashing roms and trying to reprogram the phone. Try to hard reset several more times, sometimes it takes a few tries, if there is still no luck take it back and ask for a warranty replacement.

you did nothing to out of the norm to mess up the phone, it must just be defective.

Anonymous
Tuesday, 7:20 PM EST
Hi! i've had a Blacjack before i got this phone and was very used to it. So when i got this phone I thought i would automatically know everything. But if u could tell me how to set a ringtone as my text tone, i would most appreciate it! i moved my songs to the my ringtones folder and it still wont work Do you find this valuable?    
Site pages
Top Contributors