• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: My Screen goes Blank (black) and does not turn back onThis is a featured thread

d_n0509

d_n0509
My Screen goes Blank (black) and does not turn back on
Mar 9 2009, 3:29 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 9 2009, 3:29 PM EDT
My AT&T HTC Tilt will go blank (black) about 3 time a week. I know it is still on b/c the signal lights at the top are flashing. I try pressing the buttons on the sides but the screen does not turn back on. The only way I can get it to show up is to do a soft reset by using my stylus and pressing the small reset hole on the bottom of the phone. Why does this keep happening. I have been lucky and not lost anything and it turns back on. Is this a "glitch" on this new smartphone? Also, about once a day my Tilt will get a 403 Forbidden error when I open IE. I have to shut the phone down and bring it back up for IE to start working again. I have had the phone for about 5 months. I like it it but it is so frustrating sometimes. Any help is appreciated.
Do you find this valuable?    
browntannis
browntannis
1. RE: My Screen goes Blank (black) and does not turn back on
Mar 9 2009, 5:05 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 9 2009, 5:05 PM EDT
"My AT&T HTC Tilt will go blank (black) about 3 time a week. I know it is still on b/c the signal lights at the top are flashing. I try pressing the buttons on the sides but the screen does not turn back on. The only way I can get it to show up is to do a soft reset by using my stylus and pressing the small reset hole on the bottom of the phone. Why does this keep happening. I have been lucky and not lost anything and it turns back on. Is this a "glitch" on this new smartphone? Also, about once a day my Tilt will get a 403 Forbidden error when I open IE. I have to shut the phone down and bring it back up for IE to start working again. I have had the phone for about 5 months. I like it it but it is so frustrating sometimes. Any help is appreciated. "
The Error 403 is an AT&T Network issue and can be fixed by ending the data session (press the End Call Button for a few seconds). They are looking at a patch for the network.
As for the device going to sleep and not waking up, try the hard reset. If that doesnt do it, it is time to look at exchanging the device.
michont

michont
2. RE: My Screen goes Blank (black) and does not turn back on
Mar 10 2009, 2:55 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 10 2009, 2:55 PM EDT
We have tilts here at work and use Smartmail for push email. This blanking out has happened to many of our
phones and I've chalked it up to the smartmail software. Nobody else seems to have a valid answer at Smartmail
support. The Smartmail software, though works, is designed for pocket pc. I attribute the blanking out to the software
not being specifically designed for windows mobile 6. Could you by chance have a software loaded that is not
specifically for the o/s? We've also had to soft reboot these phones often without any loss of data or useability.

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)