• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: Don't turn on SD Card encryption!This is a featured thread

mark.lawler
mark.lawler
Don't turn on SD Card encryption!
Mar 8 2008, 6:45 PM EST | Post edited: Mar 8 2008, 6:45 PM EST
If you are backing up to your SD Card, make sure encryption is turned off. I made the mistake of encrypting my SD Card and when I had to reflash the ROM on my AT&T Tilt phone guess what? The backup on my SD Card was worthless as the file was inaccessable and couldn't be decrypted. Backing up to an SD Card is a great feature, I just wished the Sprite Back Up program had warned me about this issue about never being able to successfully restore if something had happened to my phone or it's ROM.
9  out of 10 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: back up restore Sprite
browntannis
browntannis
1. RE: Don't turn on SD Card encryption!
Mar 9 2008, 4:10 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 9 2008, 4:10 PM EDT
"If you are backing up to your SD Card, make sure encryption is turned off. I made the mistake of encrypting my SD Card and when I had to reflash the ROM on my AT&T Tilt phone guess what? The backup on my SD Card was worthless as the file was inaccessable and couldn't be decrypted. Backing up to an SD Card is a great feature, I just wished the Sprite Back Up program had warned me about this issue about never being able to successfully restore if something had happened to my phone or it's ROM."
The Encryptiomnisnt a feature of Sprite but of the Windows Mobile Operating system so Sprite wouldnt "know" to tell you that it was on. There is a bunch of info on Storage Card Encryption out there that might interest you, just do a Google search and you'll find it.
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
2. RE: Don't turn on SD Card encryption!
May 23 2008, 3:19 PM EDT | Post edited: May 23 2008, 3:19 PM EDT
"If you are backing up to your SD Card, make sure encryption is turned off. I made the mistake of encrypting my SD Card and when I had to reflash the ROM on my AT&T Tilt phone guess what? The backup on my SD Card was worthless as the file was inaccessable and couldn't be decrypted. Backing up to an SD Card is a great feature, I just wished the Sprite Back Up program had warned me about this issue about never being able to successfully restore if something had happened to my phone or it's ROM."
Also, if you planning to upgrade the ROM, Sprite has an upgrade option. I think it excludes your ROM. I did not do this special backup so some backup files did not like the new ROM. So I had to reinstall everything fresh and then sync with my desktop.

Sprite automatically backups my HTC to SD card in the middle of night while I am sleeping.
Do you find this valuable?    
aikosol

aikosol
3. RE: Don't turn on SD Card encryption!
Jul 16 2008, 12:01 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 16 2008, 12:01 PM EDT
Check out:
http://htcwiki.com/page/encrypt+htc+pocket+pc
- this is the guide on how to safely encrypt data without the risk of losing access to it upon cold boot.
Do you find this valuable?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)