• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: Cannot access Internet on Unlocked AT&T 8525This is a featured thread

Anonymous
Cannot access Internet on Unlocked AT&T 8525
Feb 18 2008, 11:17 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 18 2008, 11:17 AM EST
I bought an unlocked AT&T 8525 from ebay. I wanted to use the phone in India.

I did setup the GPRS settings as mentioned by my mobile carrier in India. I went to Connections --> Connections --> Add a new modem connection --> Gave connection name --> Selected modem as Cellular line (GPRS, 3G) --> gave APN specified by my mobile carrier. But I cannot access the Internet.

When I trying accessing the Internet, it says connecting and then after sometime I get the message - 'The page cannot be displayed or downloaded because the Connection was lost. Check the connection and try again later.'

Has anyone faced a similar issue. Can we access Internet on a unlocked AT&T phone. Do I need to change some configuration. I have tried everything but nothing works. Any help will be highly appreciated.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
1. RE: Cannot access Internet on Unlocked AT&T 8525
Mar 9 2008, 10:47 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 9 2008, 10:47 AM EDT
"I bought an unlocked AT&T 8525 from ebay. I wanted to use the phone in India.

I did setup the GPRS settings as mentioned by my mobile carrier in India. I went to Connections --> Connections --> Add a new modem connection --> Gave connection name --> Selected modem as Cellular line (GPRS, 3G) --> gave APN specified by my mobile carrier. But I cannot access the Internet.

When I trying accessing the Internet, it says connecting and then after sometime I get the message - 'The page cannot be displayed or downloaded because the Connection was lost. Check the connection and try again later.'

Has anyone faced a similar issue. Can we access Internet on a unlocked AT&T phone. Do I need to change some configuration. I have tried everything but nothing works. Any help will be highly appreciated."
I'm facing same problem on my Tilt. Outlook sync works though. Any solution?
Do you find this valuable?    
browntannis
browntannis
2. RE: Cannot access Internet on Unlocked AT&T 8525
Mar 9 2008, 3:53 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 9 2008, 3:53 PM EDT
"I bought an unlocked AT&T 8525 from ebay. I wanted to use the phone in India.

Has anyone faced a similar issue. Can we access Internet on a unlocked AT&T phone. Do I need to change some configuration. I have tried everything but nothing works. Any help will be highly appreciated."
Yes, you can connect and access the internet on an Unlocked AT&T 8525 as long as you have the correct settings.
First, I would make sure that the connection you set up for India is the only one on your device; delete all others so that Internet Explorer doesn’t have to look to see which one to use.
Next, check the Connection Settings for Programs that Automatically connect to the Internet by clicking on the Advanced Tab in Connections. Then, check and make sure the Proxy Manager is disabled in Programs so that the device isn’t trying to get to the AT&T Proxy Server.
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
3. RE: Cannot access Internet on Unlocked AT&T 8525
Mar 10 2008, 12:56 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 10 2008, 12:56 AM EDT
Thanks for your response browntannis but no luck :-(
I tried all the settings mentioned above but IE doesn't work. I used T-mobile on my tilt before importing this phone to India and IE used to work just fine. In India, ActiveSync works fine (GPRS is good) but IE doesn't. Is there any other settings? Please help
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
bobmarty

bobmarty
4. RE: Cannot access Internet on Unlocked AT&T 8525
Mar 20 2009, 2:51 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 20 2009, 2:51 PM EDT
"When I trying accessing the Internet, it says connecting and then after sometime I get the message - 'The page cannot be displayed or downloaded because the Connection was lost. Check the connection and try again later.'
"
i dont know how similar our situations are, but i saw this message on my winmo phone too... i finally fixed it by setting the GlobalUserOffline DWORD value to the value 0 in the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Internet Settings
krickman

krickman
5. RE: Cannot access Internet on Unlocked AT&T 8525
Mar 21 2009, 12:14 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 21 2009, 12:14 AM EDT
"i dont know how similar our situations are, but i saw this message on my winmo phone too... i finally fixed it by setting the GlobalUserOffline DWORD value to the value 0 in the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Internet Settings"
I use to have the ATT 8525 and had the same problem when I worked in Sri Lanka. Neither ATT or Dialog was able to help me so I went along time without connection. What I finaly figured out is to go into the tools settings (cannot remember what it was called on the 8525) and you will find the proxy manager. Click on the proxy manager and then you have the options to restore or disable proxy. Click on Disable proxy. Then your phone stops trying to connect to the ATT proxy servers. I hope this helps because I really know how frustrating this can be..

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)