• A Wetpaint Site
close
Welcome! Wikis are websites that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Discussion: T-mobile Dash

Keyword tags: help instructions smartphones
Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

Anonymous
T-mobile Dash
Jan 23 2008, 4:38 PM EST
Hey, I just bought the t-mobile dash and i have linksys wireless router. I have been reading some of the comments and I'm confused. Can i connect to my wireless router and go on the internet when I'm at my house for free or not? I called t-mobile and they wont help me, they are just trying to get me to by the internet plan. Also, basic question but, what is edge, is that t-mobiles internet?
Any comments would help
thanks
Do you find this valuable?    
gronnie
gronnie
RE: T-mobile Dash
Jan 23 2008, 4:46 PM EST
Yes, you can use your home linksys wireless router for free. T-Mobile has nothing to do with that router or that internet connection.

EDGE is T-Mobile's wireless data connection that travels over the cellular connection. That's what they're trying to sign you up for. It's quite useful for gaining access to the internet almost anywhere you have signal and decent speeds for handset internet usage (email, light web browsing, etc).

Anonymous
Jan 23 2008, 4:57 PM EST
Thanks,
but if i don't have an internet to a connection to a router will it no go to the internet or will it use edge, because i don't want to get charge for going on the internet, can i turn edge off or something?
gronnie
gronnie
Jan 23 2008, 5:16 PM EST
T-Mobile only has unlimited plans so you won't have to worry about them billing you for it. It won't let you on the internet unless you pay for it so the worst you'll get is a "you must pay for t-mobile internet to get to this page" or something like that. The device should prefer wifi over EDGE anyways if wifi is connected.

You don't want to turn off EDGE anyways or your picture messaging (MMS) won't work.

Anonymous
Jan 23 2008, 5:24 PM EST
Thanks a lot Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Jan 23 2008, 5:27 PM EST
Another quick thing, on the top part of the dash it has an E in a box what does that mean?
gronnie
gronnie
Jan 23 2008, 5:34 PM EST
That means the devices sees the EDGE network. If it switches to a G, it sees GPRS (which is an older, slower version of EDGE). 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jan 23 2008, 5:57 PM EST
its not connecting to it if it sees it right? I have to buy edge before it will work, because for texting, if you don't have a texting plan u can still text you just get charged. Do you find this valuable?    
gronnie
gronnie
Jan 23 2008, 7:22 PM EST
With T-Mobile they won't let you go anywhere (except for T-Zones) unless you're paying for the internet plan. It just shows the E because that means it's "ready to go" if you do need to use the T-Mobile EDGE network. You won't get charged. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Feb 15 2008, 11:36 AM EST
If you are connected to your wifi or any unsecured wireless around and browse, it is free. This is because you are not using the t-mobile network so they cannot charge you. I have wireless at home and work so I feel like i have my laptop around with me all day. Very convenient 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Apr 6 2008, 1:10 AM EDT
hey everyone...ive had the tmobile dash for about 7 or 8 months now and i heard u can hack the volume strip to act as the original JOGGR function from the HTC version.. now i have read everywhere about downloading the "phm registry editor" .. well guess what? i downloaded it on my computer but have no idea how to open it from my dash...i drag the file to my phone but it says its an unknown application or something.. and i dont see the icon on the START programs...so can someone pleaseeee help me on how to open this registry editor ON THE PHONE?!!? i downloaded it on my comp...how in the world do i get it to open from the dash...step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated...thank you Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Apr 8 2008, 2:46 AM EDT
"hey everyone...ive had the tmobile dash for about 7 or 8 months now and i heard u can hack the volume strip to act as the original JOGGR function from the HTC version.. now i have read everywhere about downloading the "phm registry editor" .. well guess what? i downloaded it on my computer but have no idea how to open it from my dash...i drag the file to my phone but it says its an unknown application or something.. and i dont see the icon on the START programs...so can someone pleaseeee help me on how to open this registry editor ON THE PHONE?!!? i downloaded it on my comp...how in the world do i get it to open from the dash...step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated...thank you"
hey Listen on your Dash phone go first 1. START ---> Click on File Explorer 2. then look for the File you Dragged it into.... 3. Click that folder 4. Locate Your File.... Then Open It From There... Yes it will say unknown file when you try to install... Select yes install... And Thats It, And Whenever u want to locate a file look on the File Explorer Icon... Well i hope this helped 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Kevin.Angelstouch
Kevin.Angelstouch
RE: T-mobile Wizard200 - Internet Wifi on BuADSL Modem Wifi 1
Apr 29 2008, 6:51 AM EDT
- Im not sure whats up in US, ref: T-Mobile Contracts etc. BUT Iv got a T-Mobile UNLOCKED , Iv setup my Wifi to work with a Buffalo ADSL modem on BroadBand. I had problems in Settings of the Wifi on PDA , especially setting up the PORT to a Modem, & not to use the DATA link- being the Cel Line. I eventually got it to use another Modem, then gave the Device an IP on the ADSL Subnet, ie. 192.168.16.x -then FIND the Buffalo Wifi unit, (dont forget to put Wifi ON first) then was able to surf easily to G-Mail etc. Kev ;)~ Do you find this valuable?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)
Top Contributors