• A Wetpaint Site
close
Welcome! Wikis are websites that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Discussion: screen cracked! new t-mobile SHADOW - FIRST DAY!

Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

Previous | 13 4 | Next

Anonymous
RE: screen cracked! new t-mobile SHADOW - FIRST DAY!
Apr 3 2008, 5:01 PM EDT
how do you complain to FCC?? 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
cdeyoung

cdeyoung
Apr 3 2008, 6:18 PM EDT
Wth this hostility, I must assume you work for T-Mobile 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Apr 3 2008, 8:02 PM EDT
Less than 3 months, and inner screen cracked for no apparent reason. Outer screen layer is flexible and not protective. Remainder of function intact until "reset all your settings". 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Apr 4 2008, 9:40 PM EDT
Hello everyone - I am the person who started the thread on my broken Shadow! It has been very interesting seeing so many of the exact SAME breaks by other people. Yes, the screen "holder" is not strong enough. Further, there are no replacement screens for Shadows out there yet and they will probably be very expensive. A couple of things you can do: Just go to FCC.com or type in Federal Communications Commission and there is an online complaint form you can send in. It might take about 3 weeks to get an acknowlegement and after that it is forwarded to T Mobile. Here's the deal: do not send it in to Asurion in the meantime! Don't fall for that. If you do, you will never get a replacement phone via the FCC complaint. Also, you will be out $110 for something that will break anyway. Additionally, if all of you file a complaint with the FCC, after a certain number of registered complaints, the Shadow will be listed as having a problem and others after us will have an easier time getting a replacement. At this point in time, TMobile will talk you silly and nothing will come of it. I was on the phone for an hour going from one supervisor to another. Also, don't fall for being sent to an on ground store to look at it because they will always say it is physical damage. Good luck! 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Apr 8 2008, 5:24 PM EDT
It's phenominal how you all have the same problem with the Shadow. I had worked at T-mobile for about a year (now have moved on to a different career) and seen several people with the shadow and not one who had a broken screen.... Not one, the worst I've seen is it freeze when people have too many applications to run. Im not saying it didn't just magically crack on you, but screens are fragile on ANY phone... Think of it like glass, even if a piece of glass falls to the ground and doesn't break, small fractures inside grow...the next bump, however unimpactful it might have seemed could cause it to shatter. It's a timebomb waiting to happen.

As for speaking to supervisors, in all honesty, they really cannot do much more than the representative you spoke to previously. Yelling doesn't solve anything, what does is cooperating and being patient while they're trying to search for ways to help you (and believe me, they do).

As far as contacting the FCC, congrats. Glad you got some money back out of the deal.
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Apr 8 2008, 10:43 PM EDT
Thank you for a reasonable, pleasant response from the "insider" point of view. I learned something. The Blackberry I got in return is more durable because the screen does not go to the edge like the Shadow. Also, the Shadow design forces the user to use his or her thumb to push the screen open -- also to hold it on its edges -- all potential screen damage or tweaking of the frame. I love the design and was offered another one, but I don't trust its durability. This experience has been a real hassle. It will be interesting to see what TMobile does with it, ultimately. Thanks again for your input! 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Apr 10 2008, 3:56 PM EDT
"all you people that are complaining about the shadow need to think about one thing, nobody forced you to buy it and for those of you that put it in your "pocket" or purse are idiots for doing so. it is not a defect with the phone it is what the wireless industry calls "cell phone stupidity. as someone who works in the wireless industry i hear you customers complaining all day about how the phones are defective yet your own stupidity causes the screens to break"
so if i'm going out where the hell am i suppose to keep it? if not in my purse and not in my pocket then you tell me where i can keep it where it won't crack. GIVE ME A BREAK. obviously if so many of these screens are cracking it's not our fault. DUH!!!! 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Apr 10 2008, 4:01 PM EDT
"you people are blaming the wrong people for the cracked screen. T-Mobile doesnt make the shadow adn we dont warranty it either. HTC decides what is and is not covered under warranty. we have to abide by their decisions. so you can complain to T-mobile or you can complain to the company that actually decides whether something is covered by warranty or not. you can call any manucaturer you can think of and every single one of them will say that a cracked screen is considered physical damage and not covered under warranty. so stop being dumb and take reponsibility for your own actions and stupidity and realize T-Mobile has more important things to do than listen to people who cant take care of a cell phone"
not take care of a phone? let me say that before i got this phone, i had a different phone for over 3 years AND NOTHING, ABOSULTELY NOTHING happened to it, it worked fine with no cracks, etc. SO don't tell me that "t-mobile has more important things to do than listen to people won can't take care of a cell phone" and if my screen cracked within 3 months of buying the shadow then obviously something is wrong here. get the picture?! 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Apr 11 2008, 2:07 PM EDT
CELLPHONE REPAIR SKOKIE ILLINOIS 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Apr 11 2008, 10:29 PM EDT
Yes, I was referred to this site when all of this first started, but I did not find a replacement screen for a Shadow. I looked and looked and looked and looked all over the Internet. I'm still waiting for one, so if you have one, please let me know since I still own the Shadow, such as it is! Thanks. Then I can resell it. 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Apr 11 2008, 10:32 PM EDT
Amen! I would hope that I could even use the phone without its protective shield, possibly put it down on a table all exposed like that, and not have it CRACK. Or lay it down on the seat of my car and not worry about it cracking. Stuff like that...normal use? 3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Apr 22 2008, 5:47 PM EDT
Replacement screen:

http://cnn.cn/shop/tmobile-shadow-screen-p-2223.html

As a side note, some of the t-mobile employees in this thread have been real jerks. Worse than the supposed screen issue is an evident customer service problem.
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Apr 23 2008, 12:19 AM EDT
Thank you very much! By coincidence, I was thinking about that replacement screen just today. I'll try that link! Yes, Tmobile folks were sarcastic! I can't wait to go to Verizon! 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Apr 24 2008, 11:43 AM EDT
Wow..was surprised to find so many people with a similar story. I'm very careful with my phone. I had my Shadow for a month and a day before it broke. I had set it on the edge of my bed, I checked the battery indicator as I did, so I know it wasn't broke then. I found it on my carpet floor at the foot of my bed an hour or two later, and the screen was cracked. I'm still baffled exactly how it broke.. It does make me feel better from reading other posts that others have encountered similar things with theirs. Here is the link to the FCC Online Complaint form in case anyone else wants to file a complaint:
https://esupport.fcc.gov/sform2000/new_complaints.action?request_locale=en
2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Apr 24 2008, 10:28 PM EDT
The replacement screen is about $65 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Apr 25 2008, 1:10 AM EDT
i was pissed this just happend 2 me 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
May 2 2008, 12:40 AM EDT
http://cnn.cn/shop/tmobile-shadow-screen-p-2223.html, they have the lcd screen listed for $62.99. But the question still stands, does anyone know where to find the installation instructions or how to install the lcd screen? 2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
May 2 2008, 11:01 AM EDT
ive had my phone for about four weeks, i had it on my friends bed and it cracked. we didnt sit on it, lay on it, or touch it. i picked it up and it had busted. white screen with black splotches everywhere. no actual cracks though. 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
May 8 2008, 11:59 PM EDT
As far as installation instructions, I've not come across any step by step disassembly yet,
but there is the FCC page if you want to look at the internal photos .pdf's (3 of them).
that might at least give you clues about disassembly
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=642207&fcc_id=%27NM8PB%27
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
May 9 2008, 6:41 PM EDT
I had my shadow for about 2 months when the screen cracked for no reason. Had to fight hard with tmobile but eventually they let me upgrade to Blackberry. I can't believe tmobile doesn't pull this phone as there is obviously a major design flaw... probably the screen is too close to the edge. They should at admit the issue and warn consumers before selling a phone with their name on it. I'll run out my contract and then never work with tmobile again. 2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
Previous | 13 4 | Next

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)
Top Contributors