• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: Stand Alone GPS - does it exist?This is a featured thread

Tobradex
Tobradex
Stand Alone GPS - does it exist?
Jan 6 2009, 2:10 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 6 2009, 2:10 PM EST
I'm trying to find a GPS program that will run on my phone that only uses the GPS after it's downloaded the maps. (I.e. doesn't look for updates each time you turn it on).

So for example. Google maps, tries to update the maps every time I run it. I don't have a great Data plan so I just wanna load the maps at home on wi-fi, then go on the road and use what it's got.

Can anyone recommend a good program to achieve that?

I'm running DCD ROM (Scott Crossler's loaded one). I currently have GPS Viewer and Google Maps loaded but neither really seem to do what I want.

Many thanks for any help anyone would have.
Do you find this valuable?    
browntannis
browntannis
1. RE: Stand Alone GPS - does it exist?
Jan 6 2009, 3:20 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 6 2009, 3:20 PM EST
"I'm trying to find a GPS program that will run on my phone that only uses the GPS after it's downloaded the maps. (I.e. doesn't look for updates each time you turn it on).

So for example. Google maps, tries to update the maps every time I run it. I don't have a great Data plan so I just wanna load the maps at home on wi-fi, then go on the road and use what it's got.

Can anyone recommend a good program to achieve that?

I'm running DCD ROM (Scott Crossler's loaded one). I currently have GPS Viewer and Google Maps loaded but neither really seem to do what I want.

Many thanks for any help anyone would have. "
You need something like TomTom or Co-Pilot; these solutions come with maps that you load on your device and dont need the data network to work.
toonces
toonces
2. RE: Stand Alone GPS - does it exist?
Jan 6 2009, 11:46 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 6 2009, 11:46 PM EST
I would highly recommend this:
http://www.infogation.com/

They have a demo you can download and try right over the web, maps and all. Also very good price if you do buy with map updates over the internet direct to your storage card. Once setup, everything runs great without a data connection and the built in GPS in the 6800, I have used it in areas without phone coverage (waaay northern Ontario) with no issues.

I use it with my 6800 all the time, and have found it the best of all I have tried. I used to have iNav and tried Tom Tom, but they worked better with my external bluetooth GPS. The Odessy Mobile worked flawlessly with the built in GPS for the 6800, the other two required me to run google maps first to 'wake up' the gps, then it detected. Expect some challenges getting the GPS to work if you don't go with the infogation software.
Tobradex
Tobradex
3. RE: Stand Alone GPS - does it exist?
Jan 7 2009, 3:50 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 7 2009, 3:50 PM EST
Hey thanks so much for the responses guys. I guess I should have qualified that I was hoping for a free solution but I guess there's no free lunch in this world.

Since infogation has a free trial I think I'll start with that.

Thanks again for the help

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)