• A Wetpaint Site
  • Sign in to Wetpaint

Discussion: Hands Free DialingReported This is a featured thread

Showing 6 posts

JckVncenz
Hands Free Dialing
Thursday, 8:20 PM EST | Post edited: Thursday, 8:20 PM EST
Is Microsoft Voice Command required to perform Bluetooth Voice dialing? I.E can I push a button a bluetooth headset or handsfree device and tell the phone to dial a number? Or is Microsoft Voice Command required? Do you find this valuable?    
Keyword tags: cdma Pro2 Rhodium T7373 Touch
Sgarrela
Sgarrela
1. RE: Hands Free Dialing
Friday, 3:34 PM EST | Post edited: Friday, 3:34 PM EST
"Is Microsoft Voice Command required to perform Bluetooth Voice dialing? I.E can I push a button a bluetooth headset or handsfree device and tell the phone to dial a number? Or is Microsoft Voice Command required?"
If you are talking about the Touch Pro2, I don't believe there is any voice activated dialing in the ROM. Depending on the carrier some ROMs include Voice Command, with some you have to buy it. Some of the new Android phones have their own voice activated dialing, since Google and Micro$oft are such rivals - VC won't work on Android (yet - who knows what tomorrow will bring). Do you find this valuable?    

JckVncenz
2. RE: Hands Free Dialing
Friday, 9:19 PM EST | Post edited: Friday, 9:19 PM EST
I am speaking to the TouchPro2 which is of course Windows Mobile. I'm not really talking specifically about voice dialing by telling the phone to find a contact (ala Droid). However,a pretty common features with smartphones and blackberries is to be able to tell the phone via the bluetooth link what number you want to dial i.e You press a button, the bluetooth asks what number you would like to dial, you press the button again give it the number, it repeats it back, and you confirm, it dials.

It's a pretty basic feature, I just want to know if I'm going to have to spend $40.00 more to get it.

Thanks for your reply.
Do you find this valuable?    
denco7
denco7
3. RE: Hands Free Dialing
Friday, 9:37 PM EST | Post edited: Friday, 9:37 PM EST
"I am speaking to the TouchPro2 which is of course Windows Mobile. I'm not really talking specifically about voice dialing by telling the phone to find a contact (ala Droid). However,a pretty common features with smartphones and blackberries is to be able to tell the phone via the bluetooth link what number you want to dial i.e You press a button, the bluetooth asks what number you would like to dial, you press the button again give it the number, it repeats it back, and you confirm, it dials.

It's a pretty basic feature, I just want to know if I'm going to have to spend $40.00 more to get it.

Thanks for your reply. "
As with any feature, you need software to run it. You need to have either Voice Command or Voice tags. Voice Command is voice recognition software. Voice Tags records your own voice and then you tag it to a contact for future voice dialing.

Bluetooth itself has no voice dialing capabilities.

JckVncenz
4. RE: Hands Free Dialing
Saturday, 7:16 AM EST | Post edited: Saturday, 7:16 AM EST
Right, Bluetooth doesn't, but most phones come with hands free dialing activated, and don't require you to pay $40.00 for it. I would think this is a huge detractor for a WinMo phone... Do you find this valuable?    
Sgarrela
Sgarrela
5. RE: Hands Free Dialing
Saturday, 1:59 PM EST | Post edited: Saturday, 1:59 PM EST
"Right, Bluetooth doesn't, but most phones come with hands free dialing activated, and don't require you to pay $40.00 for it. I would think this is a huge detractor for a WinMo phone..."
Many phones come with software that drives voice activated dialing. My AT&T Tilt had Voice Command built into the WM6.1 ROM, but I had to buy VC for my original WM6.0 because it wasn't included in that. I recall paying $29.95 for Voice Command Version 1.5 and I can get free upgrades if I happen to buy a phone that doesn't have it loaded.

Your carrier decides whether HTC will build voice activated dialing into your ROM. HTC takes a Microsoft core operating system (ROM) which it licenses from Microsoft and then it builds the ROM for each device to the carrier's specs. If you have to buy VC, it is your carrier being cheap. HTC would love to include it in each ROM because they can charge more for the phone when they sell it to the carrier.

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)