• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: HTC Diamond Touch - Keyboard???This is a featured thread

mahedley

mahedley
HTC Diamond Touch - Keyboard???
May 11 2009, 7:50 PM EDT | Post edited: May 11 2009, 7:50 PM EDT
We're looking to replace Palm PDA's and host of cellphones with the Diamond Touch, however need to be able to input large amounts of text using a bluetooth keyboard.

Are there any compatible BT keyboards for the Diamond Touch, or in fact does the unit even support BT keyboard input.

Thanks

Mike Hedley
Do you find this valuable?    
denco7
denco7
1. RE: HTC Diamond Touch - Keyboard???
May 12 2009, 1:34 PM EDT | Post edited: May 12 2009, 1:34 PM EDT
"We're looking to replace Palm PDA's and host of cellphones with the Diamond Touch, however need to be able to input large amounts of text using a bluetooth keyboard.

Are there any compatible BT keyboards for the Diamond Touch, or in fact does the unit even support BT keyboard input.

Thanks

Mike Hedley"
Logitech makes some nice bluetooth keyboards for a variety of phones.

http://solsie.com/2008/06/a-bluetooth-keyboard-for-the-htc-touch-diamond/
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
mahedley

mahedley
2. RE: HTC Diamond Touch - Keyboard???
May 12 2009, 10:24 PM EDT | Post edited: May 12 2009, 10:24 PM EDT
"Logitech makes some nice bluetooth keyboards for a variety of phones.

http://solsie.com/2008/06/a-bluetooth-keyboard-for-the-htc-touch-diamond/"
Thanks for the tip. I'm not sure this would serve for typing field notes but will check out the unit at one of our suppliers.

What I really wish we could find is something like the Palm Folding keyboards we use but these are IR not BT and there just doesn't seem to be such a thing that will work with the Touch Diamond so far.

I'm really surprised HTC sales and support had no answers, and no-one at HTC would tell us if the unit supports keyboard input to the Windows Mobile apps. Wierd.

Again many thanks.

Mike Hedley
Do you find this valuable?    
Sgarrela

Sgarrela
3. RE: HTC Diamond Touch - Keyboard???
Saturday, 9:14 PM EDT | Post edited: Saturday, 9:20 PM EDT
"Thanks for the tip. I'm not sure this would serve for typing field notes but will check out the unit at one of our suppliers.

What I really wish we could find is something like the Palm Folding keyboards we use but these are IR not BT and there just doesn't seem to be such a thing that will work with the Touch Diamond so far.

I'm really surprised HTC sales and support had no answers, and no-one at HTC would tell us if the unit supports keyboard input to the Windows Mobile apps. Wierd.

Again many thanks.

Mike Hedley
"
Mike, I used to use a folding keyboard for my old Palm PDA. Hard to beat for data entry. Check out:

http://www.sourcingmap.com/pda-folding-universal-wireless-bluetooth-keyboard-with-phone-rack-p-32496.html

for a folding Bluetooth enabled keyboard that is designed to work with a Pocket PC. It should work fine with a Touch Diamond.

Have you considered going with the new HTC Touch Pro 2? It has a slide out QWERTY keyboard like the Tilt. It might not work for lots of data entry, but would sure work for brief field notes. You could use the foldable BT keyboard when you had lots of input to do. Also the Touch Diamond 2 is coming out soon, so check it out before you settle for the current Touch Diamond. We're not sure the TD2 is coming to the US market, but we're pretty sure the TP2 is coming in Fall 2009.

I do my field notes now with the voice recorder in the phone. Go to: Start>Programs>Tools>Voice Recorder.

Dealing with HTC Sales and Tech Support is a strange experience. Their Tech support people are pretty "low tech". They mostly read from a knowledge base, and if the answers to your questions aren't there, they can't help much. I have reached some senior guys in Seattle by calling between 5:30 and 6:30 PM Pacific Time. The difference in knowledge and willingness to help is astounding!
Sgarrela

Sgarrela
4. RE: HTC Diamond Touch - Keyboard???
Saturday, 9:26 PM EDT | Post edited: Saturday, 9:26 PM EDT
When it comes to Tech Support, I have found more answers to device problems on this Wiki and the XDA-Developers Wiki than I ever received from HTC. I hate to say it, but HTC sells most of their devices to phone companies rather than end users. So we don't really have as much clout as say ATT or T-Mobile. HTC has a patch for a problem I'm having with my ATT Fuze, but they won't release it until ATT authorizes the release and decides whether it will be a ROM upgrade or just a .CAB file patch release.