• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: Need to downgrade HTC Fuze from Windows 6.1 to Windows 6.0 PLEASEEEEE!This is a featured thread

tru2thgme

tru2thgme
Need to downgrade HTC Fuze from Windows 6.1 to Windows 6.0 PLEASE HELP
Apr 22 2009, 8:47 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 22 2009, 8:48 PM EDT
I have an HTC Fuze (for ATT) and I absolutely HATE Windows Mobile 6.1. There are a number of reasons why I don't like it, but one of the top reasons is its text messaging. I really hate the conversation thing, and how messages aren't listed separately but rather all together, and how if you want to delete only ONE message (not every single one between you and someone else) you can't. Also, it doesn't list the date and the time like it does with Windows Mobile 6.0 (it's one or the other: same day it lists the time, and from the next day on it lists only the date). Anyway, I originally thought it was only like that on the FUZE but when I looked at the Samsung Epix, and another phone, they all have the same text layout with wm6.1. So all I want to do is downgrade the FUZE to Windows Mobile 6.0. I don't have a clue how to do it, and don't really understand all the technical language I've seen when attempting to look it up. If anyone can pleaseeeeeee help me, I would really appreciate it!

I've read some things about SIM and CID unlocking the phone, and something about ROM -- and I have no idea what any of it is, or what I need to do to my phone in order to get wm6.0.
Do you find this valuable?    
Sgarrela

Sgarrela
1. RE: Need to downgrade HTC Fuze from Windows 6.1 to Windows 6.0 PLEASE HELP
Apr 24 2009, 3:24 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 24 2009, 3:24 PM EDT
The Fuze was released by AT&T with WM6.1. No WM6.0 ROM was ever developed by HTC for AT&T to release. If you really want to go back to 6.0 you would probably have to have a custom ROM "cooked" for the Fuze. It would be simpler to find an add-in program that will handle your text messages without threading. When I was using 6.0 on my Tilt, I installed a program the provided for threading, since I didn't like the way 6.0 handled text messaging. You need a program that does the opposite. Look at www.handango.com for a text msg. editor. It is much easier to load and use that than to change the Fuze to 6.0. It is also possible that you can turn off the text msg threading with a registry edit. I don't know that for sure, but I'll look into it. If I find something, I'll post it.
tru2thgme

tru2thgme
2. RE: Need to downgrade HTC Fuze from Windows 6.1 to Windows 6.0 PLEASE HELP
Apr 28 2009, 12:59 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 28 2009, 12:59 AM EDT
Hey, thanks so much! I don't completely understand everything you said lol, but I'll definitely check that website out. There were other things about WM6.1 I didn't like though, and I'm so used to and love the tilt.; and since the tilt says it's "Windows Mobile 6 Professional" I was wondering if there was any way to get that on the Fuze. I don't really understand the term "cooked" or how to get a custom ROM though - or how to do a registry edit for that matter. I used to be pretty good with technology, but I never got that into it, and especially not with cell phones. If there's anyone you know who could physically help me out with that, or at least talk me through it I'd really appreciate it. And any other info you have on the text messaging program or anything would be great as well. Thanks again!
denco7
denco7
3. RE: Need to downgrade HTC Fuze from Windows 6.1 to Windows 6.0 PLEASE HELP
Apr 28 2009, 3:20 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 28 2009, 3:20 PM EDT
"Hey, thanks so much! I don't completely understand everything you said lol, but I'll definitely check that website out. There were other things about WM6.1 I didn't like though, and I'm so used to and love the tilt.; and since the tilt says it's "Windows Mobile 6 Professional" I was wondering if there was any way to get that on the Fuze. I don't really understand the term "cooked" or how to get a custom ROM though - or how to do a registry edit for that matter. I used to be pretty good with technology, but I never got that into it, and especially not with cell phones. If there's anyone you know who could physically help me out with that, or at least talk me through it I'd really appreciate it. And any other info you have on the text messaging program or anything would be great as well. Thanks again!"
I have never seen a 6.0 rom for the fuze. And locked or unlocked, you cannot use anything other than a fuze rom. If you tells us what it is about 6.1 that you don't like, perhaps we could suggest workarounds. I personally love 6.0 on my Tilt..
Sgarrela

Sgarrela
4. RE: Need to downgrade HTC Fuze from Windows 6.1 to Windows 6.0 PLEASE HELP
Apr 28 2009, 4:30 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 28 2009, 4:30 PM EDT
It sounds as though the biggest complaint is the threaded text msg in 6.1. I suggested an after market program to "un-thread" the texts. When I was running 6.0 on my Tilt I used an after market program to thread my text msg. There must be one to "un-thread" them. There may be a reg edit that turns threading on or off, but I don't know which reg key it would be.
denco7
denco7
5. RE: Need to downgrade HTC Fuze from Windows 6.1 to Windows 6.0 PLEASE HELP
Apr 28 2009, 4:45 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 28 2009, 5:52 PM EDT
"It sounds as though the biggest complaint is the threaded text msg in 6.1. I suggested an after market program to "un-thread" the texts. When I was running 6.0 on my Tilt I used an after market program to thread my text msg. There must be one to "un-thread" them. There may be a reg edit that turns threading on or off, but I don't know which reg key it would be."
If that is the case, just download advance config. among other great registry tweaks, there is an option to disable threaded messaging.

http://www.4shared.com/file/82034868/8bd01b62/Advanced_Configuration_Tool_v33.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/83421990/34097588/NETCFv35wmarmv4i.html
Sgarrela

Sgarrela
6. RE: Need to downgrade HTC Fuze from Windows 6.1 to Windows 6.0 PLEASE HELP
Apr 28 2009, 5:16 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 28 2009, 5:16 PM EDT
"If that is the case, just download advance config. among other great registry tweaks, there is an option to disable threaded messaging.

http://www.4shared.com/file/82034868/8bd01b62/Advanced_Configuration_Tool_v33.html"
Thanks !!! I had completly forgotten that AC3.3 had that option to disable email threading.

tru2thgme - I have some detailed posts on this site about downloading and installing AC3.3. Just remember you have to download Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 3.5 to allow Advanced Configuration Tool to work. Disabling email threading is very simple after you get AC3.3 loaded.
tru2thgme

tru2thgme
7. RE: Need to downgrade HTC Fuze from Windows 6.1 to Windows 6.0 PLEASE HELP
Apr 30 2009, 3:34 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 30 2009, 3:34 PM EDT
Thank you guys soo much! I'll try these things and let you know if they work, and if there are any other things I need help with. Thanks again!!
tru2thgme

tru2thgme
8. RE: Need to downgrade HTC Fuze from Windows 6.1 to Windows 6.0 PLEASE HELP
Apr 30 2009, 4:01 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 30 2009, 4:01 PM EDT
"If that is the case, just download advance config. among other great registry tweaks, there is an option to disable threaded messaging.

http://www.4shared.com/file/82034868/8bd01b62/Advanced_Configuration_Tool_v33.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/83421990/34097588/NETCFv35wmarmv4i.html"
I just have one question about this. Do I download it straight onto the phone? and if so, is there a specific folder I should download it to, or create its own folder?
Sgarrela

Sgarrela
9. RE: Need to downgrade HTC Fuze from Windows 6.1 to Windows 6.0 PLEASE HELP
Apr 30 2009, 7:35 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 30 2009, 7:35 PM EDT
"I just have one question about this. Do I download it straight onto the phone? and if so, is there a specific folder I should download it to, or create its own folder?"
Since both files download as .CAB files, you download them to your PC (I store the files in a Desktop folder I call WM6.1 Files) with the Fuze connected via Active Sync., copy the files (using Explore in Active Sync) to the device. I copy them to the My Documents file on the device, but you can copy them to any location where you can find them using File Explorer on the device. Once the files are copied onto the device, disconnect the device from the PC, Use File Explorer to find the .CAB files in whatever folder you copied them and tap on them to execute them. Make sure you install .NET Compact Framework 3.5 before Advanced Configuration 3.3. I always do a soft reset after I execute each CAB file. It takes more time, but I find I have fewer problems. Each program will place an icon in your "Programs" folder on the device. Tap on the Icon for Advanced Config. expand the Messaging tab and disable the SMS Threading feature.
denco7
denco7
10. RE: Need to downgrade HTC Fuze from Windows 6.1 to Windows 6.0 PLEASE HELP
Apr 30 2009, 9:20 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 30 2009, 9:20 PM EDT
"Since both files download as .CAB files, you download them to your PC (I store the files in a Desktop folder I call WM6.1 Files) with the Fuze connected via Active Sync., copy the files (using Explore in Active Sync) to the device. I copy them to the My Documents file on the device, but you can copy them to any location where you can find them using File Explorer on the device. Once the files are copied onto the device, disconnect the device from the PC, Use File Explorer to find the .CAB files in whatever folder you copied them and tap on them to execute them. Make sure you install .NET Compact Framework 3.5 before Advanced Configuration 3.3. I always do a soft reset after I execute each CAB file. It takes more time, but I find I have fewer problems. Each program will place an icon in your "Programs" folder on the device. Tap on the Icon for Advanced Config. expand the Messaging tab and disable the SMS Threading feature. "
Or you can just download them straight to your phone. Find them with File Explorer, click to install, soft reset and follow Sqarrela's steps.
Sgarrela

Sgarrela
11. RE: Need to downgrade HTC Fuze from Windows 6.1 to Windows 6.0 PLEASE HELP
May 1 2009, 3:30 PM EDT | Post edited: May 1 2009, 3:30 PM EDT
"Or you can just download them straight to your phone. Find them with File Explorer, click to install, soft reset and follow Sqarrela's steps."
Direct download to the phone works fine too. I always download to my PC first so I can store the CAB files on the PC (with all the other WM files) so I can find them easily if I have to do a hard reset of the device and reload my favorite programs and patches.
denco7
denco7
12. RE: Need to downgrade HTC Fuze from Windows 6.1 to Windows 6.0 PLEASE HELP
May 1 2009, 4:20 PM EDT | Post edited: May 1 2009, 4:21 PM EDT
"Direct download to the phone works fine too. I always download to my PC first so I can store the CAB files on the PC (with all the other WM files) so I can find them easily if I have to do a hard reset of the device and reload my favorite programs and patches."
As do I, but I always keep copies on my storage card also, in a folder called Apps to Load. And after I flash or Hard reset I either auto-load everything with Sashimi,

http://www.winmo-experts.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4&sid=58f8912ccf3af6449dbca5229314c1c7

Or I just pick and chose what to reload by hand.
Sgarrela

Sgarrela
13. RE: Need to downgrade HTC Fuze from Windows 6.1 to Windows 6.0 PLEASE HELP
May 2 2009, 8:31 PM EDT | Post edited: May 2 2009, 8:31 PM EDT
"As do I, but I always keep copies on my storage card also, in a folder called Apps to Load. And after I flash or Hard reset I either auto-load everything with Sashimi,

http://www.winmo-experts.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4&sid=58f8912ccf3af6449dbca5229314c1c7

Or I just pick and chose what to reload by hand."
Thanks !!! I just looked at Sashimi and it looks like one of the most useful utilities I have seen. Any time I have done a Hard Reset or flashed a ROM on my Tilt, I have reloaded a list of software and patches by hand. Sashimi looks like it will solve that problem and make experimenting with different ROMs much easier.

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)