• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: roam only with windows 6.1This is a featured thread

r3gg13

r3gg13
roam only with windows 6.1
Sep 22 2008, 12:37 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 22 2008, 12:37 PM EDT
is there a way to roam only with windows 6.1
1  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: roam only
browntannis
browntannis
1. RE: roam only with windows 6.1
Sep 23 2008, 1:34 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 23 2008, 1:34 PM EDT
"is there a way to roam only with windows 6.1"
Umm, do you mean to only pick up on another carriers network (roaming charges)?
Not likely because the Preferred Network info is programmed in the SIM via an OTA from your carrier. The SIM/Device use this list to determine what networks to use and since it comes from your carrier, your carrier is preferred which would be home networks first and roaming if home is not available.
Perhaps I didnt understand your question?
Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
2. RE: roam only with windows 6.1
Sep 29 2008, 8:14 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 29 2008, 8:14 PM EDT
I agree! I miss the Roam Only! Sprint doesn't like to switch to roaming. The update prior to this you could choose roam only. Which is about the only way I can use my phone from my home.

Anonymous
3. RE: roam only with windows 6.1
Oct 20 2008, 3:14 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 20 2008, 3:14 PM EDT
My Theology is if there is a great enough will then there is a way. The question is how to do it? I bet it will be at least another couple of months before there is someone smart enough to figure this one out, but my guess would be that you have to enter into the advanced phone options. The same place that the MSID and phone number are programed into. Unfortionately you need the specific keycode for you phone to enter into that. The other option is ofcourse downgrading, which I am seriously considering. I havnt really found anything yet that is worth enough to losing a quality phone call on the roaming setting.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
4. RE: roam only with windows 6.1
Oct 20 2008, 10:54 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 20 2008, 10:54 PM EDT
"My Theology is if there is a great enough will then there is a way. The question is how to do it? I bet it will be at least another couple of months before there is someone smart enough to figure this one out, but my guess would be that you have to enter into the advanced phone options. The same place that the MSID and phone number are programed into. Unfortionately you need the specific keycode for you phone to enter into that. The other option is ofcourse downgrading, which I am seriously considering. I havnt really found anything yet that is worth enough to losing a quality phone call on the roaming setting."
WOOOOHOOO!!!!! I figured it out.....You have to edit the two registry keys......like I said when there is a will there is a way.

First download Mobile Registry Editor

http://www.breaksoft.com/Blog/Utilities/2005/1/Mobile_Registry_Editor.aspx

Then Edit For Three Menus in Roaming

1st For Home Network
2nd For Home + Partner Networks
3rd For only Partner Networks

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\OEM\PhoneSetting\NetworkService]
"ServiceName"="Roaming"
"ServiceTitle"="Phone Roaming"
"ItemCount"=dword:00000003
"ItemName1"="Home only"
"ItemValue1"=dword:00000001
"ItemName2"="Standard"
"ItemValue2"=dword:00000004
"ItemName3"="Roaming Only"
"ItemValue3"=dword:00000005

Then Edit

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\OEM\InitProv\PhoneSetting]
"ServiceName"="Network Service"
"ServiceTitle"="Phone: Preferred Serving System"
"ItemCount"=dword:00000003
"ItemName1"="Home only"
"ItemName2"="Standard"
"ItemName3"="Roaming Only"
"ItemValue3"=dword:00000005

Roam Only is back. There are a ton of other cool tweaks that you can do in the registry but be careful otherwise you may wind up having to hard reset the phone to restore it to normal operation. Hope this helps guys.
3  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
5. RE: roam only with windows 6.1
Oct 25 2008, 9:58 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 25 2008, 9:58 PM EDT
I just eddited mine and it works now. I have Roam back

Anonymous
6. RE: roam only with windows 6.1
Nov 8 2008, 10:05 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 8 2008, 10:05 PM EST
can someone give step the step instruction on how to go about downloading this mobile registry editor please thank you

Anonymous
7. RE: roam only with windows 6.1
Nov 9 2008, 8:37 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 9 2008, 8:37 AM EST
works great thank you

Anonymous
8. RE: Need Help Roam only with windows 6.1 on HTC PRO NEED Help
Nov 14 2008, 11:07 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 14 2008, 11:07 AM EST
Having some problems W/Pro, made changes on my Touch and it worked fine. now that I have changes over to the Pro, I made the changes above to the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\OEM\PhoneSetting\NetworkService] Section with no problems.
Now I went over to the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\OEM\InitProv\PhoneSetting] Section and the No' 3's were already there and There was and 4 already present. Here Is what is in my phone:

"ServiceName"="Roaming"
"ServiceTitle"="Phone: Roaming"
"ItemCount"=dword:00000002
"ItemName1"="Sprint Only"
"ItemName2"="Automatic"
"ItemName3"="Automatic-B"
"ItemValue3"=dword:00000003
"ItemName4"=Standard
"ItemValue4"=dword 00000004

Now I am missing most of my call as my phone wont ring even after I chaged things back
mettingman

mettingman
9. RE: Need Help Roam only with windows 6.1 on HTC PRO NEED Help
Monday, 7:03 PM EDT | Post edited: Monday, 7:03 PM EDT
Your Registry being different actually has nothing to do with the fact that you have windows mobile pro. I just had to replace my phone and the new one that sprint supplied me with has windows pro on it.

The thing that actually makes the Roaming come back is the Dword Value of 00000005. What is interesting is the fact that you have 4 items in your registry but only have an ItemCount of 00000002. I would think that you could probably erase the ItemValue and Itemname of 3 and 4. Then you should me able to replicate my settings up top. Like I said the names are not necessarily important, only that the two different registry folders are edited properly and that you have established a new ItemValue of 5 with some sort of name established to it.
mettingman

mettingman
10. RE: roam only with windows 6.1
Monday, 7:05 PM EDT | Post edited: Monday, 7:05 PM EDT
It actually is on many sites, you probably can Google it and find it without a problem.