• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: Issue with the front buttons after WM6 ROM upgradeThis is a featured thread

awillems

awillems
Issue with the front buttons after WM6 ROM upgrade
Dec 3 2007, 3:50 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 3 2007, 3:50 PM EST
I find that this complaint is few and far between, yet I now know of three people with exactly the same issue. After performing the ROM update available from the HTC website, all the front buttons on the HTC TyTN stopped working immediately (these are the Messaging, IE, OK, Video Call, Dial, Hangup, the joystick buttons, etc. that surround the screen).

No amount of hard resets (via Settings, Clear Storage OR the two soft keys together with the recessec reset button, OR more than 8 attempts at reloading the ROM update (all successfully completed, by the way) addressed this extremely annoying condition as result of the upgrade from WM5 to WM6.

Let's face it, WM6 added some nice features, have a good look and feel, but having to loose the buttons is a bummer, to say the least.

I have searched so many forums over the past two months since the ROM upgrade, that I cannot remember half the stuff - tried so many things that I can re-install my software blindfolded, yet no solution in sight.

Some details: I am a resident of South Africa, my contract is with Vodacom. The HTC distributor in RSA is Leaf Technologies (www.leaf.co.za) and my model is a HERM200

ROM version: 3.54.255.3
ROM date: 07/05/07
Radio version: 1.48.00.10
Protocol version: 32.81.7020.20H
ExtROM version: 3.54.255.104

Any and all assistance is appreciated, since Leaf advised that it's a hardware problem.... Go figure - a ROM upgrade trashes three TyTN's buttons, yet the same button work for a Hard Reset?

Regards from sunny RSA
6  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
1. RE: Issue with the front buttons after WM6 ROM upgrade
Jan 7 2008, 6:07 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 7 2008, 6:07 AM EST
I have the same problem with my Htc tytn, even when I used the rom from the leaf.co.za website it still did not resolve this annoying prblem, did you manage to get a solution???
Themba RSA (joburg)
Do you find this valuable?    
awillems

awillems
2. RE: Issue with the front buttons after WM6 ROM upgrade
Jan 7 2008, 11:58 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 7 2008, 11:58 PM EST
This is great news! (sorry - but now I don't feel reletaviely alone in this mess)

I have had no progress on the problem with the buttons, however, I had two or three occasions where some of the buttons would work (only once) after coming out of standby mode (pressing the power button quickly). As I have said before, hardware is not the issue, since I could repeat the "working button syndrome" every no and then by going to standby and coming back out.

I am having a meeting with some of my "front panel button" affected colleagues today and shall report back on this (as to whether they are still experiencing the issue, had it fixed, or whatever)

Regards,
5  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
3. RE: Issue with the front buttons after WM6 ROM upgrade
Apr 11 2008, 2:45 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 11 2008, 2:45 AM EDT
I just yesterday disovered (after having my Tytn II for 5 days) that all hard keys stopped responding. Als the backspace key on my soft keyboard doesn't work. Backlight of the buttons works fine. Software issue it seems. Did you find a solution to this problem? Thanks for your trouble.

Cheers

Anonymous
4. RE: Issue with the front buttons after WM6 ROM upgrade
Apr 11 2008, 6:16 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 11 2008, 6:16 AM EDT
My HTC is also doing this, and even many more problems like the screen would just go blank and freezes. I'm also in SA. I'm tyred of this crab and is going back to just a normal phone
awillems

awillems
5. RE: Issue with the front buttons after WM6 ROM upgrade
Apr 11 2008, 9:07 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 11 2008, 9:07 AM EDT
No guys, I have had no joy yet in getting my buttons issue resolved. I suppose that it is one of the wonders of paying good money for an expensive toy with good specs, and crappy performance. Sadly - even that would have been acceptable if the after-sales service at least existed. I am confident at this stage, that my next phone would be a simple Nokia-type phone, still having features such as EMail sync, etc. but without the wonders of Microsoft. Recently my phone also started hanging, but without showing it. Dialling my phone would not even cause it to *fart*, but on the dialler side it is ringing! This caused some harsh words when my boss asked me why I had a cellphone allowance but was not available.

In any case - Painful it remains.

Anonymous
6. RE: Issue with the front buttons after WM6 ROM upgrade
Jun 3 2008, 6:36 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 3 2008, 6:36 AM EDT
I had the same problem. What seemed to sort the problem out for me was to go into settings-system-Key Lock and select Do not Lock buttons. I then switched off the phone with the power button and then used one of the front buttons to activate the phone again. After this I reset the setting back to "Lock all buttons except power button". Worked for me hope it works for you.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
7. RE: Issue with the front buttons after WM6 ROM upgrade
Jun 4 2008, 2:54 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 4 2008, 2:54 AM EDT
Application button registry is stored in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shell\Keys\.

There are keys 40Cx for buttons...

For example, 40C1 should be \windows\AppButtons\Messaging.lnk (if your device mapped Button 1 to Email)

So pls check the folder \windows\AppButtons to make sure that you have all other link (*.lnk files) to the default application (Email, Internet, OK, Phone, Start Menu). If not, you should copy the links (shortcut) from \Windows\Start Menu.

Perhaps the *.lnk files are hidden in the folder.

Of all the files are present, click any link to see if the application opens. If it does, then pressing hard button should open it as well. Soft reset your device if needed.

Hope this could help. It works on my 8525
0  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)